Do you have a hard time pronouncing FOREIGN names?

Im fuxking hopeless. Why the fuck do russians have such hard fucking names?

Mr. Khsyeicbskeuskbsjshdkueskaya, fuck it, dude with the white hair follow me

What Guys Said 20

• I speak Russian. Most names are pretty easy to pronounce for me. Just say it the best that you can, they will correct you, repeat it out loud a couple of times, and you should be good after that.
    I understand what you mean though. Every language has rules when it comes to spelling and pronunciation. And that includes English. It takes some learning and practice. My grandparents have been living in the USA for 23 years and there are standard or simple words and phrases they still can't get right.

• Valdislav

Baby don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No more

• Eyjafjallaj√∂kull [https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull ] is certainly hard to pronounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo_ND41-6g

• No, as a Swiss person, I'm used to speaking different languages and meeting people with all kinds of different names (contrary to America, our foreigners don't adjust their names to our languages here).

• Try to pronouce mine (the part of my username before _mb), it's easy and many foreign people can't pronounce it easily xD

• No. You rude jeez 😂

Just drop a "sir" or a "ma'am" if you're incapable.

• You're in some kind of customer/client facing role so ask politely if you've pronounced it correctly. Anything else is insulting.

• It's fine. I can speak Ukrainian, so Slavic languages don't bother me :)

• I can write in English but can't say I can speak it well lol. I have a hard accent, can't pronunciate most of English words.

• Yes Russian and some Eastern European names can be tricky to say the least

My name is Italian and everyone has trouble pronouncing it

• Just call them cyka blyat. It means my friend. All Russians accept it. It is used a lot by Russians and other Slavs.

• it really depends on the language

• Dude your so bad, I grew yo around all immigrants. Bring it !

• It doesn't make any difference because no matter how many times people hear a foreign name, they don't pronounce it properly.

Whereas I always try to attempt it.

• You'd have a hard time with mine then

• Ya i do sometimes

• Lmao, no because I speak Russian.

• it's easy

• No I'm pretty good with foreign names... probably because I watch a lot of foreign soccer

• Just your mother's.

• 10d

Kelly? It's pretty easy. I'll help you 'k ehhhhh liiiiiiii'

• 10d

That's exactly how I pronounce it. She kept telling me I was wrong though. I knew I was saying it right.

• 10d

Let me talk to her about this

What Girls Said 15

• LOLLLLL 😂😂 Girlfrienddddd

No Russian man would EVER have a name ending in "-skaya".
    Ever ever ever.

You do understand this, right?
    If not, then you are in serious need of some cliffs notes on how Russian names work, so that you don't accidentally offend someone very badly.

• 10d

Hahaha oh no. Educate me

• 10d

@BlueCoyote Ok, but so once upon a time there basically weren't surnames then? (... presumably when villages were small enough that it would be rare to have more than one father with the same first name, I guess...)

Fascinating.

Interesting that the system doesn't exist in Finland (where most surnames are derived from geographic/topographic features of the surrounding environment), even though it does exist in all of those other Nordic countries.

• 9d

Yeah, that is indeed interesting. To be fair, I don't know too much about Finland but having traveled to both Finland and Scandinavia, I can tell you that Finland is quite unique in some things. Of course there are also many similarities since they are neighbors but the Finnish language is completely different (not a Germanic language) and the mentality and culture is also somewhat different from its neighbors ;-).

• Not at all or barely. After having gone to international school Im very used to pronouncing difficult names, had so many people from Kazakhstan, Russia, Lithuania, Thailand, Africa you name it lol. So they just tell me their names once and I usually remember how to pronounce it. One has to remember to NEVER try pronouncing it in an English sounding way, thats just bound to go wrong. 😂 still too many people make that mistake. Just don't.

• My gp has an aboriginal last name and Im usually pretty good with saying indigenous words, but for some reason i can't say his. So I've started just calling him by his first name, which he doesn't seem to mind, i struggled for a long time before giving up.

• It depends. I worked for a call center and we had to pronounce all kinds of foreign names. I got very good at most of them, but every once in a while someone's name would trip me up.

• My last name is foreign so I have no problem.

• Yes, except for French and German name I'm absolutly horrible with foreigner name, words and their accent in general

• haha oh yeah, Russian names were a bit hard to pronounce, and uzbek ones too

• I have a hard time speaking in general... I have a lisp.

• Not too much. I'm Indian so you know how crazy the names are there lmfao.

• russian names are nothing
    try thai names
    now those are a mouthful

• Hahahahahaaha lmao same

• Yeah I can say it if they tell me first though.

• Sometime

• Call him Mr krabs

• Chto!! What are you talking about? Russian is as easy as Chinese 😂 Super easy to learn

All languages are easier to learn if you speak some type of Latin or related.

• 10d

You will never be able to pronounce a proper Chinese name with the right pitches, tones and nuances. 😂😂😂

No foreigner has ever been able to pronounce my Chinese name. Ever.

• 10d

@QooLipBite what's your Chinese name?