Do you consider birds to be dinosaurs?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I seen where a chicken was supposed to be derived from this bigger dinosaur looking one so I don't know

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 8

• No, because only a few dinosaurs were direct ancestors of birds.
    Non-Avian dinosaurs were more similar to reptilians or even mammalians, while Pterosaurs were not dinosaurs at all, they were flying reptilians, completely unrelated to birds (they were more related to crocodiles).

• Not really.

In the same way I don't consider Hippos to be similiar to whales (they share an ancestor).

Dinosaurs as we know them had similiarities to birds but in other ways are vastly different

• 13d

They are different from other dinosaurs in many ways but they are still descended from the common ancestor of all dinosaurs. That's like saying that whales aren't mammals because they are very different from other mammals.

• 13d

a human is essentially a descendent from the same ancestor as a chimpanzee, but we're not the same

• 13d

Descended from the same ancestor doesn't mean you're the same organism but it does mean that you're in the same clade. For example, humans and chimps aren't the same but they're both primates and birds and sauropods aren't the same but they're both dinosaurs.

• They share a common ancestor sure.

• There are a lot of theories linking them to that

• they ARE dinosaurs after evolution and surviving the ages till this day and have evolved into birds

• the decedents of dinosaurs, yes.

• Well they are so it doesn't matter what I say

• No. I know they technically are, but that just ruins the word "dinosaur", if we called birds dinosaurs we'd have to find another word for what everyone means when they say dinosaur

• 13d

Paleontologists say "Non-Avian Dinosaurs".

• 13d

Pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs.

• 13d

Technically no. But again, the word dinosaur should mean what everyone uses it as