How to get paid without being rude?

So I did a favour for a neighbour and watched their kid a handful of times over the past weeks since the beginning of November ( To earn extra money), I had text her and asked her about payment and all she said was "ok", and then proceeded to ask me to watch them again, I said okay and then later on asked if she'd like the invoice and she replied "yes please", so I sent her each days hours etc and got No response, what should I say now? I find myself constantly in the past having to message her about payment, never does she do it without me saying something. They're my neighbour so I don't want to have bad blood but its far too long without payment.

What Guys Said 6

• i think you simply let her know that you aren't going to watch her kid again without being paid for your past services... and if they simply don't ask you to watch their kid again i'd just knock on their door and ask when you can expect to be reimbursed. explain to them that you have financial commitments you need to make and really need the money you've earned

perhaps if you are living with your parents you could ask them to approach the neighbor

• be professional about it. texting makes things easy. Ask something like "do you mind if i stop by at 6pm tonight to pick up the check? Or would 7 be better?" Maybe try to set a schedule for when you expect her to pay her. If she agrees to a certain time, every week on the same day ask if that same time would be alright. Eventually, she should get the hang of it.

It's awkward, but as long as she is paying, I wouldn't threaten to stop watching them or whatever..

• 13d

She does e-transfers because I watch someone related to her but not at their house so very rarely do I see her face to face. I agree I don't want to threaten her but its been going on too long! Banks, telephone etc companies don't necessarily wait till other people are ready to pay I feel she's not taking me seriously.

• She's the one being rude.

Next time you do this for her you tell her that it is not nice to be avoiding payment. She will respond with some excuse, you interrupt her and say none of that matters. You then tell her if she makes you beg for the money from her one more time that you won't be helping her again.

• Just keep sending messages or mails with reminders. Something like : I am very sorry for disturbing you, but payment I requested hasn't been made yet. I believe that you will fix it ASAP. " And send it to her every 2 days and later every day. It's her shame, not yours.

• A nicely written letter explaining that you can no longer work for them without payment for overdue invoice #'s.

• Put it in the form of an emergency. My car broke down. I really need that $50 you owe me to pay it off! Can you pay me now?

What Girls Said 3

• Texting and asking for payment is easily avoidable.. Next time you go round, speak to her face to face and say that you need paying. She can't avoid it if it's said in person

• 13d

Ideally face to face would be great but I almost never see her face to face, the child doesn't live with her so Im always watching him at his guardians place, but my neighbour is of kin to the child so she's the one that pays me

• 13d

You should probably talk to the neighbour about it then and hopefully it'll get sorted out.. You just need to be persistant

Good luck!

• I think unfortunately your neighbour might be taking advantage and trying to get out of paying you.

At the same time, you're smart to recognize that there's no point in engaging in conflict when she is your neighbour.

Maybe message her just saying straightforward you owe me (x amount), just let me know when you can facilitate payment.

Something like that.

OR, no longer text her. At some point she will ask you to watch their kid again, and at that time you can tell her that you haven't been paid yet etc.

• 13d

I agree with this one.

• 13d

Thank you! I know, its a constant reminder I have to tell her each time about payment and sometimes she sends sometimes it takes her days, THIS time its taken her a couple weeks and I mean if she doesn't have the money she should not be asking for my services. The last message I sent her was stating the invoice so I'm not sure how to bring it up again since I was the one who said anything last!

• Don't watch their kid again until they pay what they owe you. Try to send another message, if they still do not pay you, start stealing stuff from their house. Those pricks certainly deserve to be stolen.