Do Atheists have a double standard for Christians about respecting personal beliefs?

Do Atheists have a double standard for Christians about respecting personal beliefs??
Had a student tell me today that an Atheist called her a dumbass because she believed in God. And she asked me why it's okay for him to bash Christianity but it's not okay for her to tell the him that he's a sinner and that God created the universe. So I asked it as a bellwork question to my students (the title of this question is what I gave them), and they all pretty much agreed that Atheists are allowed to insult a Christian's beliefs or another religious belief, but it's not okay to say something to them.

And this isn't the first time I've heard of or was on the receiving side of conversations like that. I've noticed many Atheists, personally and on G@G, who have a tendency to say 'God is imaginary' or 'You don't make sense believing in the Bible' and can criticize not necessarily JUST Christianity, but any religion but if a Christian so much as tells an Atheist 'You're going to Hell', all of sudden you've just offended someone and you're rude. Even though the main argument tends to be 'Well, Hell doesn't exist, so I'm not going there.' However, it doesn't seem to work the other way around.

So what do you think? Do you think there is a double standard when it comes to RESPECTING someone else's belief? Not necessarily agreeing with it, but just being able accept that someone thinks and believes differently than you.

• Yes, Atheists do have a double standard
  • No, Christians and other religions have a double standard
  • Can't we all just agree to disagree?
    Vote C
  • I think it's pretty equal both way.
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
8d I find it interesting the amount of people who voted yes compared to those who voted no. I actually thought it would've been the other way around.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 49

• The problem is that there's no proof of God, or anything that could possibly prove the existence of God.
    Christianity, Islam, Judaism... they're all just a phase. In the future people will stop believing in those religions/gods and will create a new one, like it has happened dozens of times in the past.
    We went from having multiple gods/goddesses, to just having one. Why is it that Christianity is right, but the other hundreds of cultures and Gods are wrong. So God created the world millions of years ago; created humans thousands of years ago, but he decided to "come out" just 2 thousand years ago? That's the problem here, that there's little logic in the arguments of religious people. Most don't have an explanation for anything, they just say "it's what God did".

I do agree there are some atheists who use double standards, but I personally think most atheists just don't care. You're telling me to go to hell? Cool... and? What's that gonna do? I don't even believe in hell.
    Atheists tend to believe in science and things that are proven to be real, not on something they read on a book... that's the difference.

• 10d

it doesn't exist from your own perspective because you have never experienced it, but thousands of documented things realted to christianity happen every year , some are fake indeed but the rest are as true as it gets , if somoeone actually experienced it and believes in it how can you be sure that its not real? because it never happened to you? but it did happen to someone else.

• 10d

Now you're being a hypocrite. You just said that God wasn't real and now you're telling me that I'm wrong to don't believe in other gods. From what I've known God shows himself if other ways that the others don't.

• 9d

@beautifulangel76 I'm not a hypocrite. I'm not saying other gods exist. I'm just using your same logic.
      You believe god exists because you have experienced it. Romans believed multiple gods existed because they experienced it. You say I shouldn't say your god doesn't exist because I haven't experienced it, but yet you say Roman gods don't exist.
      Why can you say some gods exist, but I can't?

• http://i.imgur.com/tNq51dI.jpg
    Persons have to be respected, just because.
    Gods should earn respect. Since they don't prove their existence, they get a hard time.
    http://i.imgur.com/VvFidkf.jpg

• It's an equal amount of disrespect flowing both ways.

Personally, I don't like to out right call Christians** stupid. It's so much more fun to make them trip over their own bullshit with quotes directly from the Bible.

** The exception being Evangelicals. They're an evil cult that needs to be stopped at all cost.

• 9d

"It's an equal amount of disrespect flowing both ways. "
      Exactly, The problem is that the most disrespectful people are usually disrespectful not because they are christian or an atheist, but just because they are dicks.
      And even if they decided to stop being christian or convert, they'll just act like an asshole to the people they used to side with

• 7d

@jacquesvol basically American Evangelical churches are actively funding terrorism around the world. In another documentary, they were found to be funding wars in Israel because they believe that this will trigger the end of the world and they'll finally be able to meet Jesus.

I don't know about the other flavors of Christianity in enough detail to comment, but from experience, the vast majority of American Christians haven't read the Bible.

• First, I don't think it's a double standard. That's because I think it's trying to compare things that are not completely comparable. It might be a fine line here, but there is a difference between the two things.

Bur my real answer is this. Over the last 30 years or so our society has created more and more "protected species". If someone is in one of the protected species, they are off limits to criticism. If they are not a protected species, and especially if they are the opposite of a protected species, then they are fair game to make fun of, insult, and say just about anything about them.

So basically it has become socially acceptable to degrade certain groups of people, but not others. More and more it's become acceptable to degrade Christians, while degrading other beliefs is frowned upon. It's really a symptom of something larger though.

• 10d

This answer isn't what I expected but geez it's so accurate.

• I'm not encouraging calling people stupid but questioning and wanting reason and evidence for a persons claim should not be called disrespect. No belief should be protected from scrutiny. If that belief is true, then why are people threatened by someone questioning it?

As for a double standard, think of this
    https://i.imgur.com/fvYGuMu.png

• Yes, but good luck getting them to acknowledge that

• 8d

"Lack a belief" isn't a cognitively thought out position. The only people that "lack a belief" are vegetables and coma patients.

To lack a belief means you lack any degree of knowledge on the world at all to be capable of forming an opinion or idea on anything.

If the question is. .. do you think there is life on another planet
      Guy A says - i believe there is, here's why (Christian perspective)
      Guy B says - i don't believe there is, here's why (classical atheist)
      Guy C says - i lack a belief. Guy A, you're a fucking idiot. I want proof for your belief! (New atheism)

A lot of new atheist beliefs therefore aren't really thought out. .. ask a new atheist why they believe God doesn't exist and you won't get a more intelligent answer than "God doesn't exist, i believe in science". Science isn't an ideology, many atheists believe in scientism and naturalism and for morality atheists can't decide

• 7d

i guess i was blocked from answering the atheist above... it's obvious when someones belief isn't a belief based on intellectual reasoning when they get butthurt when someone disagrees with them and they can't intellectually reason an answer

• I think that it is fine to think that you know the answer and the other person is foolishly rejecting it. However there is a huge difference between thinking that and saying it.
    There is also a double standard with people in general about how they talk. Atheist can talk their heads off no questions or insults given. However if a Christain starts to as much talk about their faith even with another christain to themselves. They get insulted and shune because they believe the way that they do.
    Atheists can spout almost anything angerly and poeple congratulate them for speaking out. Even though they are insulting everyone that they deem stupid for believing something that they don't.
    A Christain kindly and nonviolent ly speaks out they get bashed by everyone and the media.
    There is no such thing as free speech in this country. If you speak out against the normal beliefs you will be silenced.

• I don't have a double standard of what christians and other religions believe. I have a problem with the fact that so many religions call for peace and understanding and living holy and shit, yet condemn and be intolerant of gay people simply for being gay. Start wars over their ideologies as a sign from god, have been the basis and justification for slavery, sharia law, random sacrificings, land, genocide, etc. I respect the ideas of religions, but the inconsistencies and picking and choosing what to believe and what not to believe and not living up to the standards of what their texts and beliefs say, while maintaining the idea that they're peaceful and righteous and loving is the hypocrisy of it all and what the majority of atheists and agnostics wanna point out, at the very least

• 10d

I'm a Christian and we are told to hate the sin but not the sinner. We are also told to believe the whole bible you can't pick and choose you're either all in or not which is something people don't get. Now we are also told that bei gay is abomination and a sin and it's okay to be against something you don't agree with.

• 10d

@beautifulangel76 Where in the bible does it say anything about homosexuality? Anyway, if you hate homosexual acts, then you hate homosexuals, because it is completely unreasonable to ask anyone, straight or gay, to live a celibate life, and it is equally unreasonable to ask someone with same-sex attraction to change. Not even the most motivated people, like Ted Haggerty and Larry Craig, are able to suppress their same-sex attraction.

• 10d

@slatyb For one here's a link to many verses about it. www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/.../
      And 2 just because I don't agree with homosexuality it doesn't mean that I hate gay people and to think that makes you very ignorant. You can't not agree with someone and still have love for them.

• Ironically Atheists have the most holier than thou attitude

• Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best:
    "You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts."
    This is why there is not a double-standard. Religions are always inconsistent with the facts of Nature. Atheists don't have this inconsistency problem.

• I think its pretty even,
    The problem is that the ones who do insult others beliefs or lack thereof are usually just dicks and you can't get them to stop insulting others for no reason so even if you convinced them you're right,
    They'll just turn around and insult the people who believe what they used to

• The problem is everyone has a superiority complex. Atheists think you're too stupid, religious people think you're inferior and destined for hell. Both sides love to think up these crazy reasons. Like really, everyone needs to shut the fuck up lol. Everyone's argument is bad, and they should feel bad!

• As an Atheist I think this all reasoning is stupid, to each is own, and nobody should be allowed to offend others beliefs.
    That said, I would also investigate HOW it was said, because people those days tend to be supersensitive, and wouldn't encourage youngsters to not be able to take a joke.

• 9d

This is very true. I didn't mention this in the question because it didn't fit, but the student and I had a conversation about her having to get used to people stating their opinions, even if it's in an asinine way. The rest of my class heard us as they walked into my room and we discussed this for 15 minutes and they had a lot to say about dealing with opposing views and it turned into great debate before I decided to give it to them as a bellwork question.

But you're right about everything. This might get MHO.

• No, atheists generally don't have that double standard. As a Muslim living in America, in my experience, it's only most Christians who have a double standard for respecting personal beliefs. They don't respect the personal beliefs of other religions but expect others to respect their beliefs...

• "Atheists are allowed to insult a Christian's beliefs or another religious belief, but it's not okay to say something to them."

I am an atheist and I disagree. If I shit on a religious person for being stu.. I mean a believer, then they should be able to shit on me back for not believing.

• Assuming that her report is true, we don't know what occurred before he called her a dumbass. Was it just unprovoked harassment, or was she doing some uninvited preaching? Your school is surely full of Christians, so why did he pick a fight with her in particular? In my experience Christians are more obnoxious. Christians ring doorbells on Saturday mornings, not atheists. Christians think it's fine to sell their religion in public schools, not atheists. Atheists don't vandalize churches, but Christians regularly vandalize billboards merely announcing that atheist organizations exist. I personally have no sympathy with religious people who are offended when someone is skeptical of their ideas.

• 10d

Those are Jehovah witnesses not Christians that go door to door ringing doorbells by the way.

• 10d

@beautifulangel76 No, atheists vandalizing churches really isn't a thing. Christians vandalizing any public support for atheism is so common it's predictable.

• 10d

@beautifulangel76 Christians are always saying that other people who call themselves Christians aren't really Christians. The Protestants and the Catholics have been doing this since Martin Luther put up his poster.

• To some extent. But the flip side is that I've had christian flyers put on my car and on my house, had Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as evangelical churches, ring my door bell many times, etc. They see nothing wrong with this as they feel they are doing good. So they can't possible understand why people are so rude as to share their opinion on Christianity when they do it all the time to atheists.

• 9d

@Blueyes81 When those people ring at my door, I don't let them go before the give a nice copy of their sacred book for my library. :)
      I already have a shelf full of copies of the Bible in several languages (sometimes I pretend to speak another language and insist on getting a copy in my language :D ) I even have some copies of the Quran. Only Jews never ring at my door. :( I'd like to get a free copy of the Talmud. I'm not interested that much in the Thanake.

• As a teacher, if you give your students a leading questions you should expect certain responses. You got them.

• 10d

Way to assume we didn't have a discussion first lol. Don't assume things about my classroom when you don't know anything. 👌

• 9d

Yet you can assume it didn't happen. If you can assume that then you can also assume the opposite. And I'm not trying to be right, I just am. The end. And it's not a leading question. I don't permit 'maybe' questions. I teach how to debate. People get controversial one sided or double sided questions all the time. It's life. You can't always be on the fence. Some questions are fair and some aren't. Basic argument logic that you learn in middle school.

If you see this as defensive then I don't know to tell you. You made an assumption with no basis and corrected you. Sounds like you're the defensive one in this conversation, not me. Also, I'm a little bored so I think we should just agree to disagree.

• 9d

1. Learn what a leading question is. This is one. Not negotiable. It is a matter of definition.
      2. Assuming things that were not mentioned is silly. Not assuming them is rational. Don't be silly here Elarra. Its unfitting. I am for example also not assuming that you were juggling and dressed in a tophat and monocle.
      3. You're responding with utter nonsense. Of course you're being defensive.
      4. You clearly do not know how to conduct a debate or deliver an argument. Are you actually a teacher?
      5. Just because this was the only reasonably decent point you made: Do you realize the double standard in claiming it was not a leading question and then defending the fact that it was? For the purpose of education, this was also a leading question on my part.

It won't benefit either of us to fight over this, I would however hope you're more mature outside of gag. Especially in your professional life.

• Christians mostly the extreme ones are full of hate towards the modern world. They want to set the world back to the dark ages.

• i think all these "athiests" are forgetting their roots, they came from christians, everything they have have it because of christians they live in christian countries and are protected by christians, i doubt they'd be as aggressive in a place like yemen or saudi arabia where not believing in god could very well get you killed, they enjoy the freedom of speech and bashing others for believing from their safe homes in eruope or the americas, yet deny that christians did anything for them... my suggestion is simple, you hate christians and christianity? fine with me hate it but leave your country and move somewhere else with no christians, cause after all if you hate them so much and hate everything they do why are you using their inventions, their money and the freedom they gave you?

• first, I don't believe in generalising people. Some atheist have double standards, others don't. The same is true for Christians, Muslims, or followers of any other religion. How this double standard shows might vary a bit but it exists everywhere because at the end we always talk about humans and it's just a stupid thing we do.

People shouldn't bash anyone else for their religion as long as they are not affected by it (which is pretty much always the case). Why does someone feel the need to insult someone for something which is none of their business and doesn't affect them? Why is it so difficult to respect someone else's beliefs? By insulting people because of their religion you show that you are the actual dumbass, not the person you're insulting.

I'm atheist and I don't like many things about religions, but what I hate even more are intolerant assholes.

• 10d

Well, I said many atheists, not all, so I thought that was clear that I wasn't generalizing. Or were you talking about the poll?

Either way, I agree with this statement.

• 9d

@Yumix It sounds that way because I don't give my students room to say'maybe' because that's not how informative writing or debates work. All classroom questions for bell works I give are generalized because it challenges thinking and makes them give support for one side. Otherwise it wouldn't challenging.

• 8d

Otherwise it wouldn't be challenging? in my opinion it's exactly the opposite. By making a wrong, generalising statement, you basically start with a 0:1 into the debate. Someone who's good at debating will take your whole question apart just because you didn't make a precise statement. If you are more precise then the students have to occupy themselves more with the details and can't just take the easy way to get some points.

• Nope... i think everyone s opinion should be respected... including my opinion... wich is that Religious people are dumb as fuck and religion as a whole is a burden for the progress of mankind.

• 9d

Lorenz695 I can and will respect you. But I see no moral or legal obligation to respect your opinion. That would stop me from contradicting you and thus take my freedom of speech away.

• 9d

@jacquesvol You are free to think im an idiot and im free to think you are an idiot, thats the beauty of free thought and freedom of expression.

• Many atheists, especially younger atheists, seem insecure to me and they gain a certain smugness by calling people who believe names or demeaning them.

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't spend a breath on such things as the atheist future is a bleak one and the present has no real meaning and the past is like spent money with nothing to show for it.

• There exists a war against Christianity and Christian values. Christianity is portrayed as a mechanism and justification for the conquest of inferior people's in the Americas, Africa, and Australia etc

Wherever Christian people have conquered now it's common procedure to insult them and bad mouth them and their beliefs.

Just look at all the shows insulting Jesus that are allowed to air! South Park, Family guy, and other "comedy" series frequently feature Jesus and disgrace him.

God forbid we allowed a show like South Park to depict and humiliate Mohammed the Prophet or make fun of the holocaust or mention Jewish supremacy and The apartheid in Israel.

These atheists are all indoctrinated to hate and ridicule Christians specifically.

It's our job as Christians to not be submissive, or Luke-warm and stand up for ourselves place boycotts on shows etc that threaten our values and are aimed at destroying us.

• 8d

God, in the Simpsons, is the only character with five fingers.

Mohammed appeared in South Park: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200_(South_Park) "Within a week of the episode's original broadcast date, the website for the radical Muslim Organization Revolution Muslim posted an entry warning Parker and Stone that they risked being murdered for airing the episode."

Most open Atheists live in Christian dominated cultures, that's why they make fun of it.

Oh, and there is no "Jewish supremacy".

• I don't want an atheist to respect me and I won't respect them either. End of story !!

• It depends, I mean if atheists want to state why they believe what they do that's fine. I've seen many atheists who are tolerant of religious people, and one thing I can agree with them on is that if you want your kids taught Christianity in school that's fine but don't try to make it mandated in regular schools send your kids to a Christian school. There are of course atheists who force their views down other people's throats. However, Christians can be the same way, they will find any insult against atheists and they will try to have conservative christian values made law in government. When atheists protest this Christians will that if you want to live in our country adapt our way. But the problem is the country that I live in is not a Christian country and you try to explain that to them and some although not all don't seem to understand that concept

• One side is calling the other side stupid, the other side is calling the former sinners and evil and want to impose more restrictive laws on everyone. You're delusional if you think these things are the same and that the former have a double standard.

• Clearly you're not familiar with Occam's razor.

• I have encountered a lot of people like this who had double standards on such things , I do think its somewhat common

• It's a result of over-compensation. Haven't you noticed that nowadays, any minority group that was oppressed in the past now has priveleges that the former opressors don't have? They were given these priveleges as compensation for being oppressed long ago, but now they've gone overboard.

Long ago, there were barely any atheists, and they were all oppressed and ridiculed by people of all religions. Nowadays, it's "only fair" that they do the same to religious people in retaliation.

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 22

• Respect is fundamental, but I don't see how an atheist can be offended when threatened with hell if hell isn't something he believes in.

Moreover, atheism in America does sound to me like its own religion (as in, it's visibly acceptable to try to impose it to others, violently, judging from this post).
    There's no scientific proof that God exists, but there's also no proof that he doesn't; and atheist may not believe in God, but he can no more prove his theory to be true than a Christian or Muslim.

Understand, however, that things get extremely frustrating when beliefs start interfering with day-to-day life; religions historically serve the purpose of explaining the unknown, and have repeatedly imposed practices which, with increased understanding of the world, proved to be counterproductive, or even harmful. That's generally when the screaming should start.

But there's criticism of some behaviors enforced by the religion, and criticism of the religion itself. I would advise the former only, and let religion evolve, and adapt, as it does serve a positive purpose. And an Atheist trying to impose his view of the world to a Christian is, in that regard, no better than the Christian attempting to do the same with him.

• Okay, the picture with the earth in it is offensive. They believe in science that created the earth, but anyways...
    Many of them do have a bad habit of jumping into any chance to ridicule and judge religion openly in public.
    However, just as many of them want religion to stay behind closed doors and not go to debate, because that's exactly why so many people choose it in the first place. All that damned drama and arguing! Let's be honest: Christians get a lot of special treatment in America, a country that is *supposed* to have a separation between church and state, a country that was founded on freedom of speech and religion, and a country founded by forefathers that were NOT predominantly Christan, look it up! So I can easily understand why atheists in America act that way, but yeah, I do think everyone should just stop arguing over what cannot be confirmed or denied. I think both do it equally to each other.
    I'm neither Christian, nor atheist. Actually, I'm "spiritual, non religious". Yeah, there's something up there, but if it's so damned almighty, it sure as fuck doesn't care if we believe in it, and it doesn't need it magical wish powers to keep it afloat! (I DO believe in God *claps* I DO believe in God! *claps*)
    No, it doesn't need us, we're just the entertainment it created in boredom.

• Honestly... The exact same thing goes the other way around. It's just that you don't notice the shit other groups have to deal with if it doesn't personally affect you. Atheists get sooooooo much shit from plenty of member of pretty much every big religious group every single day.

• 8d

Yeah, but so do other religious groups and Atheists sometimes are the ones doing it. I've honestly gotten way more hate from Atheists than other religious groups. I mean, I know that's my own individual experience so it's not the rule, but that's just from my perspective.

• 8d

My point is that this goes both ways.

• 8d

I agree, definitely goes both ways.

• As an atheist, yeah atheists can be super shitty. It honestly gets on my nerves how many atheists think they're somehow better than other people because they're not religious, or basically think that all religious accommodations (like events making sure to have kosher food for Jews, or Halal food for Muslims) are stupid. Now, not all atheists are like this, honestly I don't even think the majority are. And Atheists being shitty certainly doesn't absolve Christians or any other religion of guilt when they do the same thing. Like, telling someone they're going to hell is still super rude, and certainly there's no excuse for using religious beliefs to be discriminatory or to oppose teaching of actual fact. But when it comes to harmless things that don't actually impact other people, I really think everyone should just live and let live.

• Of course they have a double standard. Maybe not all of them but the majority of which I've encountered do. Even in conversations or posts where you're not directly talking to them, they make it an effort to bash both you and the God you serve.

Just the other day I watched a video about space and 10 frightening yet beautiful facts about it. I posted a comment about how this video furthered my belief in God, and then some random user came out of no where to mock me. I asked him what purpose that served and then he later explained he is atheist but would like to believe that God exists.

Don't get me wrong, I have some atheist friends and some are accepting but others just like to bash and make fun of not just the faith in question but the individual as well. It's disgusting. If they know for a fact the God doesn't exist there would be no reason for them to be the way they are or as angry for that matter.

I don't go running around telling kids Santa doesn't exist and if they say I'm getting a lump of coal I don't get all pissy. I think the angry overly active atheists once had faith and something bad happened so they built up a genuine hatred for God.

• if you tell an atheist that they're a sinner and are going to hell they shouldn't care because they believe in none of that to being with

• I think that atheists should shut up and stop putting down christians. And christians should do the same thing. Can't we just accept that everyone is free to believe in what they want or don't believe in anything?
    Good question, anyway. 😊

• It all boils down to respect. You respect my beliefs and I'll respect yours. I'm Christian and I've been more offended by people that I consider friends that are atheist than random atheist.

• I think it works both ways. Some religious people are respectful of other people's choices and some are not and the same goes for atheists.

• Lol you say it like we're the only group with disrespectful people. I've been called a devil worshiper by christians more times than I like to think about. But I'm not going around saying bad generalizations about all of them. I respect who respects me and ignore those who don't. Simple.

Like nobody gives a shit if someone hates some poor little atheist, because lol fuck it they're an atheist who cares, but as soon as some rando atheist says something about someone else, we're all fucking Satan. lmao k

• 10d

I said 'many' not all so this generalization you speak of is... where?

• tolerance is key
    regardless of your beliefs

• 10d

Tolerance is tolerating a belief, NOT approving a belief.

• 8d

@jacquesvol lol I see what you did smartass.
      Ex: I find black people beneath me
      Me: why are you a racist
      You: why aren t you being tolerant and respect my views... 😒

• Come to think about it, several religious fanatics have done horrible things to others in the past. I have yet to hear of a group of atheists marching all together, gathering believers and going as far as setting them on fire on stakes.

It was really the religious folks that did all those horrible methods of torture and death. That's nothing compared to an atheist arguing with you.

Personally, I don't mind someone being a Christian, Catholic or whatever. As long as they don't push their beliefs on me nor try to convert me then we're cool. The only time I would argue is if they start being disrespectful towards me first.

• I believe what I want to believe as a Christian. So people gotta respect that

• Atheists technically don't have a belief as its defined as a lack of belief. But they shouldn't preach crap to religious people. However if a religious person starts to infringe my rights or the rights of others you can be damn sure i'm going to tear their beliefs a new arsehole.

• 8d

• 7d

This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agnōstos (meaning "unknown, unknowable"). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God."

Being intellectually lazy won't help.

Also the meaning of "lack" means to not have... which does not make sense of atheism (at least intellectual atheism rather than the popular new atheism).

I believe there are crocodiles in the ocean (theist position)

• 7d

I don't believe there are crocodiles in the ocean (classical atheist position)

I LACK a belief in crocodiles in the ocean (you might as well say you haven't even considered the question or know enough basic knowledge to provide an answer)

Stating your intellectual position on a concept is "lack" a belief. You might as well answer "i don't know anything" whereas at least an agnostic would state i'm not sure

• I don't bash anyone for their beliefs and in turn I don't expect to be bashed or preached to. I try to stay out of conversations that involve religion for that reason.

• Every sect has people who can't respect other's beliefs but have a heart attack when they're feeling threatened, it's life, and it's laughable how blind people are at times.

• I think that every religion and non religious person does have a double standard, but I don't see why they can't just shut the hell up and let people believe what they want. it shouldn't be a huge deal.

• That's what I don't like about a lot of Atheists and people in general. They feel like they can insult or say whatever they want to someone who believes but let us say something and we've offended you or we are close minded. Umm excuse me but this is America and we do have the right to our own opinions and we have the right to say whatever we want just as much as you do.

• Yeah, they do!

• It depends. I've met a lot that are extremely rude to religious people then at the same time expect people to respect their beliefs or lack of them. I've also know very respectful ones.

• I am an atheist (I think that's how you spell it) and I am disgraced that people think is it okay to insult other religions but because they don't have a religion not allowed to be insulted horrible

• I am agnostic because no one has proof. There is idiots on both sides that are pushy.