Do you agree with this quote by Carl Sagan?

What Girls Said 16

• Very much yes. I'm a non-religious Pagan; I don't worship a deity, but I accept a truth that something higher created us. But for me it is in seeking the truth through science, that the spiritual and the divine are revealed, when science has no answers.

• Yup.

I honestly find more meaning in the fact that life is in and of itself meaningless than I ever found in believing in a God with a plan.

• I do.

• yep-sure do.

• Yes i do, but we barely recognize our place in the immensity of the mass we live on so recognizing our place in the light years and passage of ages is rather aspirational at this point.

• It's a nice quote , and I agree to a certain extent.

• Surely.

• No I don't

• Yes, I do.

• Yes.

• Yes, I do, and very well said. I didn't know this quote before. Thank you for sharing it.

• YES, I love Cosmos & also the more recent one with Neil Tyson

• Oh I completely agree with that.

• 100% agreed.

I'm not religious but super spiritual :)

• Honestly, I don't know.

• In a way. I find my spiritual and philosophical ideas pretty compatible with what we've learned from science. Like, I believe in Universal Consciousness, and magick in the sense of the Anglo-Saxon idea of the web of the wyrd; a force holding the whole universe together. And Gaia theory. I feel like science does back those things up, it makes sense

What Guys Said 19

• If you use a broad definition of spirituality, then yes. If you call being awed by the universe, and that gets you thinking about ethereal matters, then yes.

If it's interpreted to justify religion, then no. In the context of what he said, that's not what he meant. Just the opposite if anything.

• I don't really recognise the spiritual connection there. If anything, when I consider our place in such a vast system it makes me feel more like bacteria. It feels to me like we are just the tiniest spec in an ever expanding machine and we assign ourselves far too much importance. We're a fraction of a nano second of time.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

Carl Sagan was one of the wisest men of his generation. He could see the big picture more than people do even today. Most people don't take the time to see things on a grand scale. He saw the foolishness of human conceit. He was brilliant.

I would recommend his book "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" to anyone. He predicted how scientific ignorance would cloud our rational thinking in modern discourse. It's almost prophetic. He talks about the ignorance of certain ways of thinking and how it can be dangerous. It's a great read.

• 8d

Ah I didn't even answer your question.. The quote is interesting. A lot of scientists I've noticed use spirituality as a way to describe that almost transcendent feeling of discovery.

When we look at the time frames of the universe, it certainly seems like human life is pretty small and insignificant. The fact that we can define and decode the universe we find ourselves in should make us feel pretty huge. It's an enlightening and enriching experience.

• Yes very good quote - It is often overlooked that many of the greatest scientists were people of deep faith/spirituality.

• It's food for the mind, that's where the bridge is.

Facing the cold reality and unwrapping it's mysteries with joy it's certainly like pressing the F5 key from our spirit. And being humble enough to reset and accept the new things we learn, keep us walking.

It's a way to join both the worlds, i guess it makes sense.

• I do. I certainly don't believe in religion, but studying how vast our universe is, it makes you really wonder about our existence.

• I would agree with it, yes.

• I don't even know what that all means 😑

• I acknowledge there are things bigger than ourselves, but it doesn't have anything to do with spirituality.
    It is just things we are unable to explain because of the limited scope of our knowledge.

• Oh yes. Very much.

• Agreed!

• Of course!

• I agree with everything Sagan says

• Yes but one must understand spiritually vs religion as they are different

• Who's Carl Sagan?

• 8d

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan
      Carl Edward Sagan (/ˈseɪɡən/; November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996) was an American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences. He is best known for his work as a science popularizer and communicator. His best known scientific contribution is research on extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation. Sagan assembled the first physical messages sent into space: the Pioneer plaque and the Voyager Golden Record, universal messages that could potentially be understood by any extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them. Sagan argued the now accepted hypothesis that the high surface temperatures of Venus can be attributed to and calculated using the greenhouse effect.[1]

• 8d

Where did you learn about him?

• 8d

I read Contact,
      Didn't much care for it but he was a damn good scientist

• No not really, science isn't very spiritual

• no i don't/

• Science is based on analysis and facts, spirituality is based on... nothing really.
    I fail to see how the two are related.

• It's hard to say