What do you think of this quote by founding father James Madison about demagogues?

"Men of factious tempers of local prejudices, or of sinister designs, may by intrigue, by corruption, or by other means first obtain the suffrages, and then betray the interests of the people."

basically saying beware ware of the charms of demagogues who charm us and then once elected betrays us by doing nothing or little of what they promised.

do you feel Trump embodies a demagogue? How about Obama or other presidents?

non Americans, do any of your leaders embody this as well?

Most Helpful Girl

• Thanks for throwing in Obama as I think that was necessary to even things out. Let's face it Nixon was a horrible man as was Andrew Jackson. Jackson straight up ignored the Supreme Court because his cousin was running it who he didn't care for and shit down the banks.

I think I sided with Madison in he Federalists Oapers but Madison too changed his opinion as he got older.

Trump fits the definition of a demagogue but I pause to think he is one if you look at what planning and influence behind a seasoned one.

He's a showman and looks for approval and will say whatever gets applause. He isn't a politician he's just a histrionic megalomaniac. What better role to seek than POTUS?

But he's embarrassing. He blows his top over a recount that has no Janie of doing anything so I do pause to think how he could even have tea with the queen yet alone help the west in any challenge. At least GW had wicked Cheney to guide the ship. The only thing Trump's appointments promise are racism and a quickly warming climate. The US is the only fucking country with the exception of BAD ACTOR Canada that won't get on board. Canada you know you fucked up the Kyoto so don't get so high and mighty about us shitting ourselves with Trump. 4 years is a short time.

The conversation is over he's our president now we have to get to work fixing it. I was very heartbroken in so many levels. I supported the Clintons my whole life and I felt her pain. But she still was strong for us so we have to be strong too.

Sure you can put it on cruise with someone like Obama leading the ship. But this is our country and if you find the President suspect it isYOUR JOB to hold him accountable, reward him when he does well and pay attention.

This is no time to tune out. This little shot weasel for. I apparent reason wants to give the middle finger TOCEVERYONE HE MEETS. He can't even make friends with his own staff.

There are good presidents and bad presidents. No matter what Trump does to reverse Obama's executive actions Obama will be remembered as a great leader because that's who he is.

I cursed his name in 2008 as a Hillary supporter so it's been a long road but this man is a great leader first, great family man and also a great president. But even if he was never president just doesn't change the leader he is.

I don't think he is perfect and have examples of big mistakes he has made. But that doesn't mean he is less of a leader.

Most Helpful Guy

• John Tory (mayor of Toronto) is as big a prick if not bigger than Rob Ford whom he replaced. Like Trump, he's a businessman and tries to apply the same principles to civic policy.

What Girls Said 5

• I feel like if someone managed to get tricked by Trump, one probably has the intellect of a moldy apple. HOWEVER, simply liking him-ok, people have different opinions. I can't say he's a demagogue in my opinion bc all the signs were there. So, he wasn't sneaky or anything, people are just 1) open to everything he says or 2) really freaking naive... think about it, we live in this world with the internet, you can find a credible source if you know where to look or at the very least, one can easily see if the story is glaringly false.

• Well, i think it doesn't take a demagogue to fulfill Madison's... promise.

And i think any one of those... prejudices, sinister designs, intrigue, or corruption are inherent in the politics of today regardless of party or country.

Believe it or not, i think of myself as an optimist.

• I don't think so and that's why we have the government of checks and balances.

• Yes he's a demagogue. No question.

For what it's worth, both Republicans and Democrats are both hate groups, so no surprises.

• can we ask this question after his term actually starts?

• 9d

Ok but how about other presidents or leaders?

• 9d

i think every president exaggerated during his campaign

• 9d

But lied about everything virtually is what he's getting at

What Guys Said 6

• Yes, that is my big fear for Trump - In Ireland we have had our fair share of all talk and no action - I don't necessarily condemn Trump, I just have a feeling he is not in control of what he started and there are some shady characters around the edges of his group with channels inwards to some of the hardliners who are not necessarily bad men but for whatever reason their views are quite warped possibly dangerous.

• trump appears to be that for sure
    obama no. obama wasn't perfect but is/was a good president and came up against an opposition congress constantly

• I'm not American but our leaders don't really do much of what they promised they'd do since they didn't promise much to begin with.

• I feel Obama aligns perfectly with that quote since that's exactly what he did, he used his skin colour to his advantage and combined that with his charisma and sweet talked/charmed his way into office.

And what do we have to show for it? a medical care system that is collapsing under it's own weight, a broken down military, racial divide, increased debt and horrible international relations.

• What's a demagogue?

• 9d

a political leader who tries to get support by making false claims and promises and using arguments based on emotion rather than reason

• Hillary does.