What is the story behind your name?

How did your parents come up with your name?

Have you ever asked your parents what your name was going to be if it wasn't what you ended up with; do you hate the alternative or wish they had picked that?

What Guys Said 15

• My mom wanted to name me... wait for it... Hamilton. HAMILTON😐😐😐 My dad saved the day with some sense and said fuck that, we're not naming him Hamilton, which surely saved me from roughly a thousand wedgies over the course of my childhood. Pops said it was going to be Steve or Chris, they went with Steve, and I'm definitely good with that👍

• They wanted a manly name. They chose one that means warrior.
    No

• I'm named after my dad, who was named after his dad. (Who I called "papa".) I don't know how papa got his name, but it makes me the third. I write "III" (Roman numerals) after my last name/initial.

If I have a son one day, I will carry on my papa's name and make him the fourth. (which is written "IV") I think that would sound kind of royal. lol 😉

• 8d

I've always hated the redundant naming of children. My grandfather, uncle, and cousin all have the same name and when my grandfather was living, they all happened to live really close. It was so confusing when someone would ask for one of them because it's like which one. I also feel like kids need their own identity with their own names... of course, this is coming from someone named after her aunt, but she died before I was born, so I feel like it's not the same thing. But of course names will always have different meanings for different people so if you like it, and want to continue on, of course you will...

• I was either going to be a Tyler or a Conrad. They went with Tyler only because they were afraid I was going to be called Conny for short.

• My parents just knew the name was meant for me like the name chose me I guess.

• My mom named me after the guy she used to have a crush on... She also thought it was a beautiful name...

• I was named after my dad

• Parents didn't came up with my name, cause they past away at my early age, but I know my family name. So I went to a dojo and a sensei named me as Soujiro means whole second son.

• They barely knew any English so they randomly picked one off a list.

• Murad.. he was an Ottoman Sultan my father admired.

• My parents were going to name me pter Abbott and until I was born they didn't realize it was basically peter rabbit then they called me James Abbott but I go by abbott

• It runs deep in my family.

• Harrison Ford...

• I was named Jonathan, after the Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards.

• I was named Cody after my great grandpa who won a Victoria cross in ww1

What Girls Said 9

• Hmm, I'm not entirely sure how they came up with my name. I know that I was a premature baby and they weren't prepared for me when I came, I think my parents said something about quickly choosing a name before my mother was rushed into theatre, so it didn't have that much thorough thought put into it :P I think that my mother got to choose my first name and my father got to choose my middle name and I know that my mother actually kinda hates my middle name, she doesn't like it at all. Not sure what other options they'd considered but I do know that if I was a boy I would have been Daniel Jack (because my mother put her foot down and refused to call me Jack Daniel, like the alcohol :P )

• I was nameless for a while, so I'm just glad I have a name.
    My parents couldn't decide by the time I was born lmfaoooo

• My mom liked the flower, so she named me after it.

• I was named Milia (not after obamas kid) because when my parents were on their honeymoon in Myrtle beach, they met a couple also honeymooning there, and the ladies name was Milia, so they liked that and decided if they ever had a daughte they would name her milia, and two boys later they expected a third penis child, and got a
    Lacking-penis child!

Yay!

• dad wanted me named after his french co-worker
    mom wanted me named after Burt Bacharach's daughter
    dad won out

• My dad used to sing the song with my name and they thought the actress with my name was beautiful and that's how I got my name.

• I later knew I was named after my uncle's beloved fiance who died just before my birth.

• They wanted a nice traditional African name so they picked Asha. If I were a boy, I'd be Ibrahim.

• Yeah they both had dead aunties that were special to them lol with my name.