WHO IS THE BETTER INNOVATOR. MEN OR WOMEN?

• MEN
  • WOMAN

Most Helpful Girl

• Considering the fact that men have had better opportunities to invent things I'd say men. And even when women did invent something the credit often ended up being handed to a man or she'd just not be named much. So really its no surprise there's so so many more inventors/innovators that are men for this very reason, and after all women getting an education, let alone in science and engineering has been seen as unnecessary for many thousands of years in many places around the world.
    Had history been different and women had same opportunities as men, it might be that the amount of inventions might end up being the same for both genders, or still more or less from the other, we really don't know.

So my answer is historically wise : Men
    Overall: Most likely equal, I don't think one or the other is the "better" innovator, how many great innovators there currently are has more to do with interest, and if more of a specific gender is interested in a specific subject the more innovators of that gender there are going to be in that field.

• 11d

I do not know which invention (s) you were referring to first, but I'm sure with most inventions ever that isn't the case, specially because it doesn't mean there aren't at least a few inventions that are credited to women. I think credit is given where it's. due.

And as for your second point. So the argument is: in the world of equal opportunity... right? Good, go to Google and type right now the greatest inventions of the last 25 years or even stretch it to a decade (or greatest technological advances) and you'll see it's still men pushing the envelope.

• 10d

Look, we can agree to disagree on many points. I don't think you are entirely wrong, but I know for a fact women, based on your points lets say the 60's onwards, have not suffered from oppression, and for the last decade have been priviledged citizens. Sure, there is misogyny just as there is misandry in the world but that's another story. Systematic oppression towards women does not exist in the world as such, and society has embraced equality, at the point of disregarding men's rights the last three years... are we on the same page?

Ok, my point is we still have these figures: 6 men to 1 woman ratio in an engineering University, on average and the figures for computer science and math are not that distant from that.

• 10d

Maybe in the context of this question, invention is defined too narrowly, as something mechanico-scientific, which is what mostly and predominantly moves the world forward, not to mention we use said technology to advance other fields.

What if you include other areas of creativity such as fashion design and culinary? Or other you can think of. I assume women have as much capabilities as men. But again, though women love their cellphones, laptops, apps and what have you, women do not reflect interest as a whole in advancing technology. Not pre opression, not post opression, not in an equality age, not in a privileged age so far. That's as much as I can assure. Only time will tell.

What Girls Said 7

• My OCD is going insane because you but men (suggesting plural) and then WOMAN (suggesting singular).

Cannot... compute... can't... handle... the pressure!

To be honest though, men where more so back in the day, but women appear to be catching up.

• until now man
    but that s because woman were repressed throughout time
    I mean women started having the freedom to vote pretty late for example
    1893 in new Zealand for example, 1971 in Switzerland, 2011 in saudie arabia.
    women in some countries still don t have equal rights as the husband like in lebanon, the wife can t travel without her husbands permission.
    females weren t allowed to go to college or graduated and renounced a career to take care of the kids.
    I think it s more of a challenge for females to be innovative due to the restrictions, lack of resources, lack of support and maternal duties.

• 11d

men women*

• 11d

@FakeName123 take your argument to messages please so I don't get annoying notifications

• 10d

BUT the thing is womena are suggested to be more creative than men. but these days women depend so much on to do this like building, because we are strong. women have let use get better at their own game.

• Men I'd say.

• LMAFO women for sure on this one. You can see it going all the way back to women developing agriculture and beer.

Now you see it in the way women use and create changes in language. Like if a linguist wants to find out how people talked 50 years ago they find an old man. If they want to know how people are talking today they talk to young women.

• 8d

I don't know I feel like if I stuff my face with greasy shit for all of December I might get pretty close.

• 8d

@Maik567 I'm pretty dubious here bro

• In history men were given more opportunities. It's men...

• 11d

Even now though with all the opportunities women have they don't do much inventing or creating only really add onto the work/inventions that have already been created or done. Not to mention there are in general more male singers, musicians, painter's poets, authors ( real authors ) and conductors. Which are also innovative fields in their own right.

Plus in the present day there are more male engineer's scientists and architects as well which are the main innovative fields of our world.

• From a neuroscientific pov it technically should be women because women are on average more creative than men and creativity is the most important for innovating.

• 11d

The thing is woman are better at making things better, but rather not at innovating from scratch like someone said in the comments. If woman are so creative why do you depend so much on men. then complain about no equality.

• 11d

Ik that I don't depend on men. I'm self sufficient.

• 10d

imnot saying all women are. let me ask you something. do you want to go to war? or stay home with the children. most women say yes.

• Women of course 😛

What Guys Said 20

• i think it's hard to say. for much of the world's history men have been given an opportunity to innovate and create while women were relegated to home life. i mean women were literally be burned at the stake for trying to get involved in science and stuff like that for a period. and we still have stigma around women getting into STEM professions

clearly the majority of inventions and innovations have been developed by men but i think it's hard to say if one gender is better since the opportunity hasn't always been equal

• History says men... and present says men too.
    If it wasn't for men's innovations we wouldn't have the lives we have today, we wouldn't have all these luxuries.

• According to an article released by Wikipedia, here are the most prolific inventors of all time, with Thomas Edison being considered the most prolific inventor worldwide: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prolific_inventors

How many of them are woman, again?

The fact is men are, without a single doubt, the world's greatest innovators as a whole.

• Given the chance it's equal. But so far men have been more innovative through history.

• History shows that men have always been the more innovative ones, women have been good at adding on to things already made or created but creating things from scratch or discovering things has always been our ball field.

• The only thing women have invented is the headache. Bahahaa

(I'm messing around but downvote away pinks)

• Your username tho😂

• What have women innovated more? I'll wait

• i.memeful.com/media/post/9d6XEyM_700wa_0.gif
    Reading the arguments going on

• AND THAT WHOLE TIME WHILE THEY ASKED THESE QUESTIONS, KERMIT THE FROG RE-INVENTED THE WHEEL

pbs.twimg.com/.../kermit4.jpg

• 9d

Just gotta say on this one Watson and Crick sorta stole the credit for a woman's work on the DNA's Double Helix

• Men. The majority of engineers and architects are men. That speaks volumes.

• Due to statistical information, I'm going with men. Men have invented far more inventions during the timeline of history and it's not just because of the oppression of women. On average, women may be somewhat smarter and more organized, but I usually see boys getting creative ideas in a classroom, rather than girls. Of course, I'm not generalizing it to everyone; I genuinely think more men have an aptitude for creativity.

• Since 95% of all important inventions were made by men... i am going with men.

• It's not a gender issue.

• I'll pick the brains.

• Let's not get into this ugly fight

• Historically men but its only now women have got their shot really though there have been quite a few women inventers. Women have their shot time to put up or shut up.

• You came up with this crazy good poll so I am going to have to say men

• I don't think the ability to be innovative is gender specific. There have been more male innovators but that's largely responsible by their opportunity to do it. It's an individual thing. I feel like people think that just because someone in their sex invented something awesome they themselves by extension are an innovator simply for sharing the same sex which is asinine.

• 11d

I agree, it also comes down to personal interest as well. Just look what children are interested in, and I'm going to generalize here, but it's true for the majority. Boys: Cars, planes, explosions, construction etc etc. What about young girls? Dolls, playing pretend relationships, etc etc. And then people wonder why fields like engineering, science etc are dominated by men whereas when you look at human resources, psychology, nursing.. Dominated by women. It starts at an early age. Now obviously there are always exceptions to this, there are many women who are great engineers, scientists, pilots etc etc and they probably grew up having similar interests to most boys as well.

The simple fact is men and women don't all like the same things, there are specific things that one gender is more drawn to than the other. One profession that I've noticed is more balanced is medicine, it probably attracts more women due to the compassionate side that is more prominent in women on average.

• 11d

So the argument is: in the world of equal opportunity... right? Good, go to Google and type right now the greatest inventions of the last 25 years or even stretch it to a decade (or greatest technological advances) and you'll see it's still men pushing the envelope.

• 11d

@bedroomdweller Yeah, and that's where I was getting at. I don't believe women are incapable of it, there are many that are more than capable, but the majority of women have no interest in technological innovation and it starts at a young age.

• Depends on the person. Not their gender.