If a friend invites you to an exhibition he's holding that means he indirectly wants me to buy his stuff?

should I gather my $$ now or come up with an excuse no to goXD

What Guys Said 30

• i wouldn't presume that. he most likely wants traffic at the exhibition. i'm sure your friend knows you and if you are likely to buy something... even if he expects you to buy something OR just hopes you might buy something obviously you don't have to and should go feeling fine not buying anything

• No lol.

It's not uncommon for artists to invite their friends to gallery's or exhibitions plus putting your art your creations out there in front of the public to be praised or criticized is really nerve wracking a friendly face helps.

It's like when I was part of the tournament circuit back in the day I went to tournaments to see how well I'd stack up agaisnt other opponents of other fighting styles. And it was nerve wracking as hell being up in the arena being watch by masters of various styles and dojo's. It always helped to see a friendly face in the crowd an art exhibition isn't all that different in that respect in that a friendly face helps keep your nerves down. And knowing that someone has got your back.

Plus a friend shouldn't invite someone and expect them to buy anything that's not a real friend that is an opportunist.

• 8d

dude I have a fitness question.
      I just came from training and I felt really bad at the gym.
      so I did gym then swimming
      but at the gym I started to feel nauseous and then I sit down and I almost felt like I was gonna faint. then when the moment passed I kept trembling.

• 8d

I know I'm saying wear a weight belt so that it doesn't happen because I don't want you to get hurt, train hard but train smart. They're super cheap anyways it just gives that wall something to press up agaisnt so that it can't go further out.

Lol if you did you'd be in the hospital.

Anyway let me know if it happens again, I'll do some research on what was going on and try to have some more answers for you.

• 8d

will do that and damn now I am scared XD
      ahh thanks you don t have to lol

• Nah. You invite random rich people to your exhibit to sell stuff. You invite friends because they're cool and will add to the atmosphere. Leave your money at home.

• I would say that if he knows you can't afford to buy his stuff then he is just showing you his work. Most artists I know don't think in as mercenary terms as that, they just like showing their art.

• You're his sugar mama lol.. just kidding, it's mainly for support and encouragement. Doesn't mean he wants your money :P

• 9d

Stop with this sugar mama /baby
      You know only me and luci have the right to be sugars

• 9d

lmfao hahaha

• Does he want to cash in - certainly
    Does he wish you'd buy his stuff - absolutely
    Is the kind gesture to butter you up to hopefully buy his stuff - most probably
    Does having more people at the event help him - yes

Is that the only reason for inviting you - maybe not, but that would depend how close you guys are as friends

The honest dollar huh... the great USA dollar - 'in god we trust' it says...
    3.bp.blogspot.com/.../money-eyes-emoticon.png

• Hard question. I think it depends on how well you know him. I mean, a good friend would have added that you can come over to "at least look at it if ya want." Did he say anything of the sort?

• Not necessarrily... he cannot expect that from a student. He probably just wants to show you what he's doing (for a living or as a hobby).

• Perhaps he just want's your support. Putting your art out there for public scrutiny is difficult. A friendly face might be what he wants.

• Go to the exhibition. The same time don't feel obligated to buy things. Just show up.

• nt really

• Is it the norm to buy his stuff? Are others doing it? And what stuff? I would say just do what everyone else does who shows up to the exhibition. If I go to a birthday party and everyone brings a gift and I don't, I would look like a dick.

• I wouldn't expect you to buy anything just talk it up and hopefully up sale the stuff.
    Really it just be nice to have my friend there.

• You always think negatively. Last time even with the car thing you did the same.

• just tell him to eat a dick and move on kiddo =D

• You should go to see if he's trying to resale any of your shit :P

• it really depends on the type of exhibition and how expensive his stuff is

• I don't really know

• naaah
    your overthinking it

• No. If he expects you to buy something, he isn't a good friend and just wants to impose on you.
    If he is a good friend, he will be interested in your honest opinion.
    Don't take any money with you, so you can't buy anything.

• Depends on whether it's a reasonable expectation

• I don't know could be for support.
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

• Not at all ;) he simply wants you to see the exhibition

• You can go and not buy.

• Better have a wedding to go to, doctors appointment or someone's birthday party 😝😝😝

• No probably not. ;P. He just would want your support dude. :P. You are safe. ;).

• Exhibition? You mean like art?

• 9d

yeppers

• 9d

Hmm, not necessarily, I would invite friends just to make it seem more busy :P. But if a friend decided to buy something i would be eternally greatful.

• 9d

true :P

• I'd bet that is what he wants. Or if not, then if you see something you like, he would want you to spread the word about it so he could get more sales later. That would actually help him out more.

• Yes. People use each other these days man. No one is genuine. They want to use you to buy their shit. Similar to how the friends on you FB always ask you to like a page or something.

What Girls Said 12

• Not at all. I would never assume that from the beginning. So unless you got a shady friend or whatever, it would seem very rude not to go. An exhibition is a very upscale event that very few are selected to get into unless you have the money to pay for tickets to attend. So I say that the choice to go is entirely up to you. But again, it would look very rude and disappointing if you didn't. Don't make an excuse to not go. Ask him what were his intentions of inviting you. He should have no problem answering any questions that bring's about concern for you. It's a wonderful gesture and a kind honor on his part.

• 9d

no I think anyone can attend the exhibition
      but I see your point

• 9d

@archiz

Well that's even better! I just say that he wants you there for support, not buy anything. Especially if you can't afford it. :)

• 9d

alrighty :)

• Go for support but you sure as heck aren't obligated to buy anything. If anything, you can socialize and ask people about their opinions on the work being sold.

What's the harm in having a beautiful woman at an exhibition? :* :*

• I think he wants you there to see the hard work he's put in and to get your support more so than getting your money.

• Not really. Probably he wants more and more people to appreciate his work and encourage him. I think you should go😀

• I doubt he's expecting you to buy. Dress up in something a little sexy and see if you can walk away with a free piece haha

• nope

• Probably just means he wants to show off his exhibition, not necessarily that you should buy something.

• no, not at all! he probably just wants you there for support. If you like something, I'm sure he'd appreciate you buying it... but i doubt its expected.

• Lol yeah he wants you to buy them.

• Not really that is not neccesary

• not really

• it doesn`t mean that he wants you to buy his stuff.. i have visited many exhibition openings.. and they are mostly about drinking wine and eating snacks.. and the artists are talking about the exhibition as well..