Is it true if you learn to love yourself, nothing else will matter to you?

People keep telling that self love is everything , that if you really love yourself you would be independent enough to let go of anything that don't serve you well, is that true?

What Guys Said 13

• Self love = narcissism so yeah, in a sense, nothing will matter to you if you only love yourself

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• Completely true. You don't NEED things anymore to make you happy, but it doesn't mean that you will become a monk and just meditate 24/7 in a monastery. You can then start to share your love, not gather love from others. You become a walking lover instead of walking businessman. That's when you start to have REAL relationships.

• yes, its very true. im glad that im a introvert and im very comfortable with my own company very much

• yeah it is totally true

• Absolutely. Otherwise you end up pregnant marrying a guy below your level and divorcing him a few years later.

• I Would say that some things will still matter

• Yes, so true also got to love yourself before loving anyone else.

• pretty much

• Yea it kinda is, for me atleast😊. Im happy everyday there's nothing i can't handle.

• 3d

How? Always something brings me down

• 3d

I just dont waste my energy on negativity, I meditate, I buy myself a gift from time to time and I have my dog that brings me always joy. Oh yea spending some time with my family gives me good vibes as well.

• It is true for me.

• that sounds like a big pile of political correct, SJW rubbish to me

• Yeah I think you gotta love yourself before you love other people. It helps build self esteem and confidence.

• 3d

But I don't have self love

• 3d

Learn to live yourself I guess? To be specific I used to hate my body. I was chubby and shit. I worked out after a girl rejected me. I realized I had to love my body to make progress. I wouldn't say I'm in great shape, but I'm happier now. So like learn about yourself and start to love things about yourself. Slowly. Look for motivation 😉✌

• No money matters so dose companionship of some form.
    but loving yourself is important

What Girls Said 9

• I think it is true to a certain extent because you are more comfortable with who you are and therefore don't need other people's (implicit) approval on what you chose to do, say or how you behave. So, considering this it might be a bit easier for you to let go of people you don't feel have a positive influence on you.

But on the other hand, I think that is not as simple as what you described. You sure are more confident when you love yourself but your connection to external matters will always be there. By "connections" I mean several things, like your attachment to some people, some habits etc. Loving yourself doesn't create indifference towards all that. These things would still matter and letting go of them wouldn't be an effortless thing.

• 3d

But the problem is I can't learn to love myself

• 3d

It's a long term process but you can eventually end up loving yourself. For the moment just aim to dislike yourself a little less.

• It isn't that nothing else will matter to you, you'll still feel the effects of criticism because loving yourself involves consistent work, but you won't be destroyed by criticism. People will have less of an influence on how you feel about yourself because you are self assured and capable of accepting the fact that you are human and can make mistakes.

• You can love yourself but still go through times when things matter and you will feel hurt over things. I think it's human nature. Self love is important and can take you far but you can still struggle I think but not as much as people who don't have self love. You may get over it faster.

• No, that's not true at all. Nothing matters to depressed people and most of them don't love themselves, so that thought is complete fallacy. If you love yourself, more things matter to you. It'll matter more that you want things and feel you deserve them and you'll work harder for it.

• I don't think *nothing else* will matter, but a whole lot less will, that's for sure.
    Loving yourself should not be underestimated.

• 3d

I can't find love within myself

• 3d

No I don't feel like it, I get shy actually in person, it always somehow brings me down I always try to change myself

• 3d

Alright then.

• Yes. I know from experience.

• I guess. I don't need anyone to make me happy and whole.

• 3d

Im all these things too but I don't just tend to love myself

• 2d

Than you aren't truly confident. Confidence comes from believing in yourself. So that means believing that you're enough to make yourself happy

• To love yourself means you respect yourself enough to walk away from anyone who doesn't treat you in a way you want to be treated.

• Well, kinda. When I started to work on loving myself, I realized that some things weren't doing me any good and got them out of my life completely or distanced myself from them. That did involve some friends I clung on to and for a while I felt really guilty or sad for doing so but ultimately, it did help me with feeling loads better, so I don't regret it. It was difficult to let go but worth it.

• 3d

How can I learn to love myself, I don't and that's always been a problem for me