Do you believe a person or persons can be responsible for another's mental illness?

I know there are chemical imbalances, genetics and stress. But do you think a person can be responsible for someone else going crazy? Or do you believe they were born that way? Maybe some sort trauma, bullying, cheating, any form of abuse.

0|0
2|5

What Guys Said 5

• As someone with a mental illness no I don't think that's possible unless it's extreme cases like keeping someone in a hole their whole life

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's not just genetics/predispositions that are responsible for a person's mental illness. A person or persons can trigger a person to develop a mental illness. For example, ptsd is triggered by the trauma caused by another person (s).

1|0
    0|0
  • The question you bring up is the Nature vs. Nurture debate. Assuming you don't know what it is and that's why you're asking, I highly recommend looking it up. Assuming you already know and you're trying to dumb it down for us, good show. Essentially the answer is both. Certain genetic predispositions make people more susceptible to certain illnesses. For example, someone with a history of depression, has a strong likelihood of having a child with depression. Even if its not directly passed down, the child could be more prone to developing depression later in life for whatever reason, so on and so forth with basically anything else. However, mental illnesses can occur with no correlation to genetic predispositions. For example, someone with no history of depression has a child, and later in life the child becomes depressed. The child didn't get weak genes susceptible to depression, but perhaps he was neglected, or suffered losses in life. Both are often the answer, but you can't really say its one or the other all of the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • if they've never had any history, trauma could possibly allow something to develop. I'm no professional though and this is pure speculation on my part.

1|0
    0|0
  • A combination of the person's actions and a person's life experiences.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• People can absolutely make someone form a mental illness. There is usually some sort of trigger that causes a person to have a mental illness, but some people are born with it as some mental illness are hereditary. Trauma can definitely cause mental illness or disorders. Like PTSD.

1|0
    0|0
  • An individual's predisposition to developing a mental illness is in their genetics, i. e. some mental illnesses will be triggered quite easily by stress etc. which can be caused by how other people treat us, but those people don't cause the mental illness themselves. Psychological abuse by another person, however, can severely upset a person's mental health, but again, mental illness can't be attributed to how someone else treated you, it is a correlation of the things you mentioned - chemical imbalance, genetics, and whether they have developed effective coping skills or not.

0|0
    0|0