What is your opinion on Scalpers?

People who buy up large quantities of a limited product and resell them for astronomical amounts on ebay or through some other method

Example... with the recent NES Classic that came out in Novemeber. Supplies were extremely limited and they sold for $60 but just type it into ebay right now and see how resellers are trying to sell it for hundreds of dollars:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xnes+classic.TRS0&_nkw=nes+classic&_sacat=0
What is your opinion on Scalpers?
Your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's dumb. Both the scalper and the person paying the inflated price. I had a buddy at work who got tickets to the last ever Led Zeppelin concert at the O2 Arena in London:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Ahmet_Ertegun_Tribute_Concert

To prevent exactly what he was planning, you had to have wristbands and ID to get your tickets and then get into the show. We decided to have a day out and took the train down to meet the guy who'd paid a small fortune for the tickets (I think it was £700 per ticket) and they had to go to the ticket office together so the guy could get his wristband. Buddy had no interest in seeing the show so we went for a few beers and then got on the train home.

As for the Classic NES... I think anyone who paid MSRP for one is stupid, never mind someone paying hundreds. For that kind of money you could get a Raspberry Pi emulator box going and have every NES, SNES, Genesis game ever made (and more systems besides) going on your TV and have cash left over for beer and pizza.

What Girls Said 7

• Unfortunately that is how it works. They need to break even. (example, Purchasing the NES classic at $60, ontop of that they need to make reasonable profit, AND also consider postage price).

It's a bit dodgey once you think about it but a point of selling things is to make profit. If you're smart about it you would only get yours for $60. I hate it too

• I hate these people. They are the reason that I had to camp outside overnight at a Toysrus for 13 hours in the pouring down rain... with it 36 degrees... and killer winds for 2 Hatchimals. Those people suck

• Fucking hate them. The way they do concert tickets, seriously hate them. I like the new system that requires ID to get in and more precautions to prevent scalping. Also, screw the rich people who buy the stuff.

• I think it's kinda a dick move but hey, their money they can do what they want with it.

• "It's a Dog Eat Dog World" as they say.
    However, I never gave it a Thought, I know that They have been Growing for Ages.
    Thank you for the Kind Invite, dear. xx

• Those people have no conscience its so rude

• I think I will just leave mine in the basement gathering dust.

What Guys Said 16

• Capitalism!

• There would be no scalpers of there weren't any morons who buy from them.

Stay aware people, never buy things for more than retail price. If it's out of stock, stores always get restocks eventually. If it's a limited edition that you want remember to always pre order.

• This products is not a life necessity, it's a collectors item, or a luxury, or a waste of money no matter the price.
    From a business point of view, this could bring in a couple extra hundred dollar in the next time time, for maybe you grand kids, just have to wait it out until the asking price or buyers market are willing to pay more than what you paid.
    If these where food items, or products necessary to sustain life, that should cause people to attack his home and steal everything he has, and donate to charity. when he loses all his money he will know not to do it again.

• Piece of shit move, but the only reason they exist is because people are willing to buy from them. That's how the market/economy works. If 3 months go by and no one is buying from him those prices will fall sharply, because the only reason he did it in the first place was to make quick money. You can't just jack up prices and expect to make money. That's not how the market works. You have to have a market of willing buyers as well.

• if you are truly a capitalist i suppose you look at this and say it's just fair competition. but i view it more as creating a monopoly and creating interference to true fair trade between for consumers

• They're horrible dispicible people... and I would totally buy tickets from them.

• there isn't anything wrong with people having the foresight to make some money

• 0|1
  • I don't trust scalpers I refuse to buy especially from Ebay things
    cause i been ripped off a few times on Ebay.

• All they are doing is simply taking advantage of the market. How could I be mad about that?

• It's wrong to raise the prices of an item for your own benefit. Those people have no shame.

• Still doesn't make it right to cheat people like that... $60 item for hundreds more? I don't care how badly I wanted it, you can stick the extra hundreds where the sun doesn't shine Mr Scalpers. (Not directed toward you, just my opinion on Scalpers)

• @BubbleQueen welcome to the free market is all I can say. Look at one of the biggest commodities, coffee, and how Starbucks can charge $5 to $6 for a cup of coffee than costs a few cents to produce.

• I see no problem with it. If people are willing to pay that much, then that's on them..

• they are dicks

• Its just business. Very smart of them.

• Good for them their are stupid people willing to buy their stuff.

• Scalpers turn peoples' impatience into cash. I doubt they are going away anytime soon.

• IT's what happens when the original seller underprices. I've never heard of a case where scalpers where creating a shortage than exploiting it. It's always an existing shortage and price stickiness and they jump in.