Do you think narcissism is a disorder?

I know that it is an actual personality diagnoses but I mean how do you view it/handle it. If you know someone that has NPD would you treat them as it is a disorder or just as their personality?

• Yes
  • No
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1114

Most Helpful Girl

• They are treated for their personality traits , coz narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy- psychotherapy
    They learn to relate better with others so their relationships are more intimate, enjoyable and rewarding. They learn how to have an understanding of the causes of their emotions and what drives them , and are helped to better understand and regulate their feelings

I avoid anyone who has Narcissistic, , Sociopathic and Psychopathic traits or tendencies. No amount of treatment or therapy can cure them , coz their brains are wired differently from other people's They all lack empathy , you can't teach someone to have empathy, especiallly since that part of their brain does not. They can manipulate therapists into believing they are benefitting from the treatment provided.

• "I avoid anyone who has Narcissistic, , Sociopathic and Psychopathic"

The 3 types are in the same league. Actually, each is the next step from the previous.
      A decently intelligent therapist won't be manipulated, but, yes, it's as you say, these are main traits of personality and don't change.

• About avoiding them... usually they are the most charming, and those most perceived as "good people" by everybody ;)
      They know their trade, and do all what takes to lool the opposite of who they are.

Most Helpful Guy

• 0|0
    • I know it is. I'm asking how you would treat them, would you treat them like someone with a disorder or a normal person?
      There is really no point to bringing Trump into this, just go to a psychology site if you want to cite something.

• @Texian
      fact versus morals and ethics. That could become scary.

• Even if politics were in this little side note on facts vs. morals. It's basically this past election anyway about facts vs. morals. Hillary tried to appeal to the emotional side when Trump says the truth, which is why he can come across as rude or racist, even though he isn't racist. It just shows that they do make successful leaders since he was elected.

What Girls Said 10

• It certainly is unhealthy and impacts their lives so yeah, it's a disorder. I treat disorders as a part of the person because you can't really tell where one stops and the other begins, it's one thing to have high self esteem but narcissism is toxic. I hate special snowflakes

• It's a Mental Illness Here, Dear... Just ask Obama.
    Good Luck. xx

• If I know someone who was narcissic I would treat it like it's his personality.
    I know there's a "narcissic personality disorder" but in everyday life I would treat him like everyone. Not like someone who's is sick or anything.

• For me it is a disorder, so treat it like that

• It would be, but I'm too gorgeous to have disorders ;)

• They need to be confronted a lot

• Nah I think that's just how their personality is, some people aren't as annoying because they usually speak smart things, but some narcissist people are really naive and it just makes them look stupid, but I wouldn't treat them differently at all.

• Never knew anyone with diagnosed NPD so I wouldn't know if I would be friends with them. I've been around people who showed symptoms and were well liked/attractive but sometimes they irked me and that's when I'd treat them like normals and just avoid.

• no it is not

• NPD is a disorder. Occasional narcissism is something most people do and is normal. NPD IS the NPD sufferer's personality. That's part of why it's a problem.

• I know it's a disorder. Did you read the description? The question was asking how you handle it in everyday life, whether you treat someone with NPD as someone with a disorder or as a normal person.

What Guys Said 13

• It gets tricky. I'm not an expert, but from my understanding there's no biological or pathological cause of NPD. It's a learned coping mechanism. So there's nothing chemically causing someone to act that way, it's just that they developed in a particulatily shitty way.

Everyone is at least slightly narcissistic as it's more of a spectrum than anything else. You should also have an expectation that people under the age of say 21 will be narcissistic.

As far as dealing with some with NPD, I wouldn't treat them any differently. It's a coping mechanism that takes its toll on the sufferer quite heavily, so some empathy is appropriate. But they are liable to outbursts of rage, so I'd avoid them if you can.

• I think it has more to do with how they were raised and what kind of life experiences they had when growing up.

• NPD is a very serious disorder, like anti-social personality disorder, but it still means that I'd stay the fuck away from them, its one of the very few mental disorders that would mean I wouldn't date a person

• I've been called a narcissist a lot over the years.
    But there's a problem with that. People with narcissism always THINK they're better, but aren't.
    Thing is that everybody who's ever accused me of "acting" superior either had the tendency to act like pathetic children, were complete idiots, or both.

So I'd say it's just personality.

• It ranges from Vanity... No.
    To self-obsession... Yes.

• No. I'm... like... the most awesome person I know and I don't have any disorders :-P

• I see it as a disorder but unfortunately I can't give them any support because they ALWAYS take advantage of it without giving anything in return.

• Lol yes...

• I'd treat them as a jerk, which is what they are. Being born that way doesn't make you any less of a jerk.

• I think they would need to develop some self-worth, maybe through self-compassion. Narcissistic people actually feel like shit about themselves, hence the constant inward focus.

• Narcissists don't secretly feel like shit, that's just what people tell you about a bully to make you feel like it's their inner fault you are getting picked on.

• Maybe you should fact check before typing. Not meant in a bad way but to help prevent confusion in the future.

• Maybe I should. I don't know. Hahaha

• Well that's one the DSM says.

• I understand that, the question was meant as how you personally handle it in everyday life. Whether you would treat someone like they have a disorder or as a normal person.

• Yeah they don't get any sympathy lol. I see it as something as a learned behavior and not really as a mental disorder.

• ofc it's a personality disorder

• It's a disorder; and Trump needs to be treated for it