How old is too old to live with parents?

I will award best answer. And by the way, this doesn't include a case where maybe you are going through financial difficulty and need to move with... Show More

By the way, I'm 21 and in college (but I started a year ago, so I'm behind).

My personal view on this topic:

Any age is fine to live with your parents, as long as you are CONTRIBUTING.

As long as you pay your share of the bills, do your share of the housework, and give more to them than they give to you, than that's fine.

But if you are just sitting around and playing Xbox, no, not at all.

Basically, I'm saying that being co-dependent is just as okay as being independent, as long as you aren't dependent at a late age.

Most Helpful Opinion

• Be out of your parents' home within a year after you finish grad school. You get a year to live with the excuse "I just graduated, am looking for my first place and am struggling with my educational loans." Then people expect you to either have your own place or have a bunch of crazy roommate stories...

• Yeah, grad school is about age 24.

• So 25's the cut-off.

• Having lived well past my 20s and seeing the people who stayed with their folks vs the ones who branched out, I can tell you that even if you're contributing, it looks weird, especially for a guy. The only exception is if your parents are old and ill and you're living with them for reasons of elderly care or having them move in with you...