So does he care or not?

My ex and me had a fight because he'd been a complete douche for the entire week. Before the week everything had been fine, we'd even been planning a holiday 6 months down the path entirely at his suggestion. We had exams and he was really stressed but he ended up taking it out entirely on me to the point where I just told him off in return. He apologized and all but instead of going off at me, he would just be quietly resentful.

So then I got angry and asked him if he thought we'd be better off friends sometimes and he said 'I don't know'. That made me even angrier and I was all 'WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW? This is either a yes or no question.' And we argued a little back and forth and basically he said that right now he wasn't sure but that he didn't want to tell me yet because he's only been feeling like that for a couple of days and wanted to see if it might go away after exams. So I said we shouldn't be together and that exam stress doesn't excuse his doubts. If he doesn't know if he wants to be with me, no f***ing point.

However, afterward he got REALLY MEAN up to the point where he just disses me in front of people and even blocked me off Facebook. Even his friends think he's being a pig. I don't understand. First he says he doesn't care and now he hates me.

I love him but I don't even understand him anymore. I really want to be with him but he makes it so hard.

We've been dating for four months and I was his first girlfriend, not sure if that's necessary information.