• Ask
  • myTake

Workout question?

Do to life getting in the way I haven't been in the gym for over three months. I started going back yesterday. As always I went as far as I could and today I am so sore I can't go even if I wanted to. Before I was unable to get there I was going 4-5 times a week. How long should it be before I don't have to have recover days?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Usually 4-8 week before you'll notice that you really aren't sore the next day. That doesn't mean you don't need recover days though. It is possible to overwork your body and you are smart to not work out when you are too sore. That's just counter productive. Your body makes its changes during the recovery time, not while you are in the gym. If you beat your body to hell and then don't let it heal, your efforts will be wasted. Especially for weight lifting that involves the actual tearing of muscle fibers that need to be repaired. 4-5 days a week is fine assuming your body can handle it. Ramp up but in days and work out intensity. maybe start with 3 days for the first month or two then work up to 4-5 days. Also go a bit easy on yourself as first. You have to get your body used to working out again, and doing a high intensity work out on day one is not a good idea because it will hurt you more than help, plus there is even risk of injury. Also make sure your nutrition is good, you eat a solid amount of protein, take vitamins and amino acids, and get plenty of sleep. Those things will help aid in the repair of your body and muscles and will quicken the recovery time.

What Guys Said 3

• people be smoking crack... 2 weeks max assuming you don't overwork yourself. It also depends on your workout, 4-5 is what I do now but take at least a day between working the same muscle group even as a secondary

• About 3 months.

What Girls Said 2

• It partly depends how active you are in life and how intense your workouts are.If you sit at a desk all day and then go and do an intense workout, you won't adjust as quickly as someone who spends their day on their feet and jogging.I had to have a month off due to an operation, and it was about a week or two for me to get back into the swing of it. About 2-3 would be my guess :) Don't pounce back into your workout routine, build up again. You don't have to go back to basics but just know your limits!

• I think everyone is different, and unless you are a paid athlete you probably should have at least one recovery day, doesn't mean you can't do something, a good hike on a recovery day is nice.I have been working out for 15 years 6 days a week (at 4am no less!) any where's from 40 to 70 minutes sessions, and I still had days I woke up sore but I just powered through. Recently I started to add some extra workouts in after work a few times a week, sometimes just at my house or with my girlfriend that has a gym membership, and been sore for the past two weeks! Nothing I can't handle though I actually kinda like it, feels like I did something! lolIf you are so sore that you can't move then wait to go to the gym, but I do recommend that you go out for a walk. A little sore is fine, every trainer will tell you that, even the fittest person will get sore if they push harder then they normally would!