• Ask
  • myTake

What does "sorry despite myself" mean?

Hi, my English is not very good, and I would like to know what that friend meant when he wrote to me "I'm sorry despite myself." Does that mean he... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• That phrase is poor English, so you can't be blamed for struggling with it.He's trying to say that he's sorry, and that he knows he made a mistake, and that he knew from the beginning that he was making a mistake, but he did it anyway, because even though it was a mistake, it was what he wanted to do at the time.

• mm thank you that would sound exactly like him to mean that !

What Guys Said 8

• This just means that the person using this has a low knowledge of English.

• "Despite myself" is not a common phrase in English, at least not in American English. It means to do something you don't want to, or would not normally do, but you do it anyway.For example:If it's not normal for me to eat 5 pizzas and get sick, but I did it anyway for some reason, then I ate them despite myself.The full phrase "I'm sorry despite myself" is not something I've heard before. I don't know the full context so it's hard to guess."Despite myself" might refer to saying he's sorry, or the thing he's sorry about.Probably best to just ask him.

• thank you, yes I would ask him but I'm very cross with him so I'm ignoring him...especially now that it seems like they're just fake apologies :)

• I hope you don't place too much weight on the answers here. Only you know him and the context well enough to guess what he means...at least I hope that's what you're doing rather than assuming they are fake based on what you read here. :) It's a hard thing to describe and it's very context sensitive.

• I don't only base myself on answers from you guys, but it kind of confirm that it wasn't only down to English not being my first language :) it's just very like him to avoid saying things clearly, and in this case he hopes I'll answer him if it seems that he apologized; it just hurts his pride to be ignored I think.

• I've never really heard that phrase used stateside. I would say it means "despite my own doubts." Where are you from?

• I live in England :)

• But originally, if your English isn't very good?

• It means : I am doing something because of better judgement, not because I want to. Like I really love ice cream but it makes me fat. I'm sorry I can't have any despite myself wanting some.

• It comes from / is the same as: "in spite of oneself"To 'spite yourself' means to do something that hurts you.Usually used to mean you do something you do not believe you should do.

• It means being compelled to an action when before you were against it.Initially, it seems he's saying sorry even though he doesn't really think he is.

• It is a fake sorry

What Girls Said 1

• he doesn't really seem to make much sense, but English is my first language and I am assuming that he means "sorry because of me".