• Ask
  • myTake

Can Obama really Bypass Congress on Gun control?

Can Obama really take away everyones right to own a Gun in America even without Congresses Approval?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• it can be part of his agenda, or he can sign an executive order but seing as an outright ban is unconstitutional I doubt it.he'd have to pass a constitutional ammendment and I thnk to do that 2 separately elected legislatures would have to pass it. might be wrong on that thoughmore likely, he will use congress to pass small restrictions on gun ownership, which is constitutional and fine by me. its called incramental policy making, you make small changes, little by little based on comprimise.

What Girls Said 8

• it is a part of our Constitution. While I am for banning, I also believe it should be done the right way with full transparency. Having said that, I don't think it will ever be a full ban. I'll settle with a reinstating the semiautomatic weapons ban and restrictions on gun shows and dealers. We have more gun dealers in this country than McDonald's.

• Also, we have more people dying of obesity related illness and mistakes by doctors than we do by firearms.

• Ok don't go all Alex Jones on us

• It's unconstitutional. So if he does, it won't last.

• I have no idea, but I wish that America would get around to instating some proper gun control. What is so special and infallible about the constitution, meaning that it shouldn't be amenable to changing social standards, as is the case with the law? Casual gun ownership is illegal in Europe, and whichever way you dress it up, that IS the reason why we don't have endless school shootings and similar incidents filling up the news headlines. No-one will contest that the majority of people are able to take a sensible and responsible approach to gun ownership, but there will always be a minority of people in any given society for whom easy access to guns is likely to bring about horrible consequences.Most of the arguments in support of common gun ownership which I have heard centre around personal protection - to me and most Europeans this seems ridiculous. What're you protecting yourself from? Other people with guns?

• sure he can do what he wants, meanwhile the smart people will prep and stock up...

• No doesn't it have to go through senate?

• Even if he can, I don't think he will. The Dems just have to make enough noise to say that they tried to do something and the Repubs just have to make sure nothing but the minimum gets passed. Both sides wanna keep their jobs and this one is too fraught.Plus, once many of our state governments cut more and more cops and that housing markets for middle class start to be pushed into murky areas... some dems might think twice about owning a personal firearm.

• He is obviously unable to "take away everyones right to own a Gun in America," because that would involve completely changing the Constitution. link

• sure, if he put his mind to it. He is a punk bizznatch and so is congress, so who knows. but us smart people don't believe he would ever do that.

What Guys Said 12

• Is there some clause in the executive powers that would allow this to happen? Highly unlikely.

• 14th amendment

• He can try, as a symbolic gesture. It can be challenged and overturned by the Supreme Court.

• right but the supreme court won't turn it down we all know that. We had the law before and nothing happened it most likely saved more lives.

• It didn't save any lives. The FBI UCR (Uniform Crime Reports) show that rifles were used in 3% of violent crime before, during, and after the previous ban. It's effects were scientifically negligible. Not only was it ineffective, but it was never the issue in the first place. And given the makeup of the Court, a 5-4 ruling to overturn is entirely realistic, depending on what actually happens. We just have to wait and see.

• Yes he can the founding fathers gave him that right in in the event that the legislative branch turned on the executive branch. It the 14th amendment that allows the president to overrule the congress not in taking away guns but making sure that military style weapons do not fall in the hands of non-military civilians. .

• If it keeps inocent kids from getting hurt then I'm all for it, no offense to you gun enthusiests but even for those people that hunt even you know that you can't hunt with a semi or full automatic gun, in otherwords the only people who should have it are people who are the the military or the policemen who keep us safe. as for regular non automatic guns it gives us a chance to tackle them, my heart and prayers go out to those kids and those teachers who saved all thier kids lives by scrificing themselves, I have family who are teachers and I know they would have done the same thing to protect those kids...as for having someone at school with a gun to protect the kids that's just stupid and costly, you can't fight guns with guns because then more blood will be shed, PROTECT OUR KIDS AND OUR COMUNITY! not the idiots with machine guns who think they actually have a purpose for them because they dont... but hey that's just my two cents.

• guns make pu ssies equal to average humans. I am for taking guns away, but I feel bad for the people who are civil about owning guns and having threats about taking guns away because of the little nerds and losers who "didnt get enough love from mommy" and go on killing sprees knowing they couldn't hurt a fly if it werent for guns.

• Lol @ "unconstitutional." Like our Government already doesn't take enough Taco Bell induced sh*ts on the amendments as it is.

• Of course not, don't be stupid. Stop believing all the right-wing "he's gonna take your guns" crap and pay attention to the real world for once in your life.

• Oh, like how the Obama Administration has declared they want an "assault weapons" ban, and firearms registration? That reality?

• Assault weapons are Fully automatic. They have been illegal to the public since 1934. That term gets thrown around a lot by people who know nothing about Guns.

• QA, Andy is clearly a gun nut, and not capable of seeing Reality as it is. Only as Fox News tells him it is.

• He will spark a civil war if he tries, more then likely he won't but he will try to sneak some law in. It's funny how all these people think he is so great, and so they voted for him, so 4 more yrs, and he can run this country to the ground, and not care. Look at how the health care is shaping up, more and more companies are only hiring part time workers, prices will sky rocket, along with our health premiums. Why he doesn't focus on things that America really needs, such as jobs, immigration control, and well not let govt go on a spending spree like a 16 year old with their parents credit card, really tells you where his priorities are, taking away rights one step at a time.

• Making laws is not in the president's job description.

• The 2nd amendment is already being violated. I want to buy a rocket launcher and some missile batteries and I am denied. Who cares about this fake talk about 2nd amendment.

• uh I don't think the plan is take away all guns just assault ones, you can keep your game hunting guns, mr redneck, as long as they don't fall into assault weapons category, okay let me look into this quick firstummmm... link from that link "The president indicated that a ban on assault weapons, which he called "weapons of war," is something he supports as well as a limit on high-capacity clips and more stringent background checks. But he cautioned that "no law or set of laws" can prevent all violence. He noted that a culture that "glorifies guns and violence" must be examined and access to mental health care must increase." link from there they say that the plan is to renew the 1994 assault weapons banhere is another one that law link and here is one that shows how some undercover investigators bought guns at a gun show even though they said they probably couldn't pass a background check link

• Stop with this "Obama is taking away the Second Amendment!" nonsense. He and his Vice President have formed a team to look at gun control. Some of those ideas include better background checks and the elimination of gun show loopholes. Possibly an assault weapons ban, but that's been more of a pundit talking point right now.The Obama Administration is not going to:-Round up everyone's guns-Ban gun ownership by private citizens-Jail gun owners-Erasing the Second AmendmentTightening background checks is not banning guns.

• Ah, someone with a brain. How refreshing.