Hypothetically, what would you do if this happened to you?

You meet someone..

You figure out you are perfect for each other..

Get married.. Have kids..

Then one of them gets sick..

Needs bone marrow..

You both get tested..

and the Dr comes back and tells you that your spouse, is your half-sibling?

Now, what if you've just found out you are 2 months pregnant?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 5

What Guys Said 37

• First I'd get my kids checked to see if they have any disorders. I'd keep the kid I was pregnant with. Then I'd talk with my husband about options. We could either get him fixed so we wouldn't have any other kids and stay together or we'd get a divorce. But I'd make sure to keep the information under wraps forever no matter what we decide to do.

I read the Mortal Instruments series and honestly it changed my opinion on the matter. I used to think the best thing to do was to get a divorce and flee the country and never see each other again. But now I'm not so sure. It's not really fair for people to think badly of you because you didn't know. And as long as you stop having kids then it's okay. And it's pretty messed up for the parent you have in common not to say anything. Unless they don't know. Then you could probably get away with it.

• Yikes. I'd get a divorce.

• I live in Texas, not Arkansas, haha!

I'd get a divorce. I wouldn't be able to live with that.

I actually have a half-brother - I guess it's a good thing we don't get along :-P haha

• Lol, Sean-the-Scot... you dirty boy

• I really don't know. That'd be my knee-jerk reaction... but I've never been faced with the choice to abort or not to abort, so I really don't know what I would ultimately decide.

• so, you'd terminate then?

• Show Older
  • I think that's one of the reasons why I'm not attracted to Asians lol - they all remind me of my brother. I thought they'd do the blood testing match with the recipient only and not the potential donors? and there was no DNA testing and without the half siblings parents present the test would be inconclusive.

still - it's a situations you can't fully answer unless its really happening. that also means you are mother/father and aunt/uncle to your own child.

• @steelymcbeam you made me lol hahahaha - better safe then sorry huh :D

• I'm also afraid of a specific Asian ethnicity in terms of dating, because I know nobody on my mother's half of the family tree.

I'm half though, so I guess it's not AS bad =P

• hahahaha right - instead of properly answering the questions I was like "naw - ain't gonna happen to me" lol. what ethnicity are you?

• Show Older
  • It was nice knowing you...

But seriously that would be messd up. I don't even know what to think. I mean they aren't FULLY my sibling so it wouldn't be so bad? lol. We would probably have to do some confidentiality agreement secrecy thing.

• Selected as most helpful

Well I'm the guy and she'd be pregnant :D

Whichever way I'm staying with her as long as she wants to do so herself but sinc we also have kids I'd do my best to convince her to stay.

I sure wont' get over her since I loved her before we realized we are the same blood line. Whichever way nature didn't create these taboos, society i.e. humans did.

Though people will freak out at the idea and also considering that children born out of such relationships tend to have disorders but that is not really necessary and would I love my wife or kids any less even if the kids did have any disroder.

I'd say forget everything and just love her for the woman she is the way you did before :D

In short I'd never change anything, I'd love her the same way and maybe more :)

Good question :)

• Nice and if I'm not being too judgmental then you probably give it enough gestation for people to answer before you decide :)

• its my way lol

• Wow after a whole 3 months :) thanks a bunch for the BA - I wholly appreciate it. Very thoughtful to check out and give a BA after quite a while :)

• I would get a divorce. The good side would be that since we're "perfect for each other", we should be able to get through it well and talk about it in a mature and understanding way. After puking up all of our previous week's dinners, that is.

If I were two months pregnant? Well, I'd have to reconsider my whole life philosophy if that happened.

• I would stop watching f***ed up TV shows , they are just too f***ed up and I'm sure then nothing of that line would happen :D

• Whelp, doesn't that just beat all...

I would end up divorcing her; she's my half sister. You can pick your friends and you can pick your lovers, but you cannot pick your family. I would never be able to think of her romantically again and I would be disgusted with myself for continuing such a relationship.

If none of our previous kids have disorders I would say to let the baby be born. But if they all have problems then I would have to say it MIGHT be better if the child was never born into such miserable fate...

Of course, I would help to finish raising the kids and I am quite familiar with what it's like to raise a child with disabilities/disorders within divorced parenting (my father had kids to three different women, two of which had visitation rights with the latest of which being low-functioning autistic).

For the kid's sake I would say tell them that we are distant relatives, but that we also had a falling out. I would not give details about it until they became adults. This would also be after a lengthy explanation of how genealogy works and how much diversity is needed for natural survival. I mean, supposedly everyone is related to the first humans. If that's the case then we are all very distantly related as well.

• too tough I can't answer it

• It would not change anything after building a life together.

• Haha I would move south where it is more common lol

• Really it will be painful to hold for the rest of the life. But any cost won't let others to come know and lead the life forgetting the matter. for the sake of child

• I feel like it's a social thing more than anything - as long as we don't go advertising it out to the world what does it matter? It would surely weird me out for a few days, but if I care enough about this person to marry them then something like that shouldn't make me care any less.

We're all related to some extent, and we're all a bit inbred because of it. It's only after several generations that it becomes an issue. It happens in nature all the time and as long as it isn't the norm it's OK.

• Abortion then divorce then suicide!

• Suicide? AFTER a divorce?

Well, if you must then...you should do a productive suicide! Like being sent on an experimental trip to Mars and back. If you made it back you would be a hero! If you didn't, well at least you are dying for science and the advancement of humanity!

• I wouldn't tell the family members that's for sure. Honestly I would just agree to not mention it to anyone. Hopefully the child won't have a thumb sticking out of his forehead. I would hope my s/o would have the same thought.

• Order a pizza., have a couple of shots of JD. Then wonder how the hell I'm going to have my baby cause it's not coming out of my ass, that I do know.

• ha ha ha.. you as the couple...

• As messed up as that is--if it happened without your knowledge, it wasn't your fault. And while divorcing would be hard to resist--what would that solve? You already married your half-sibling, had kids, and divorcing would just mean the kids get mentally screwed, as multiple studies have shown divorce is one of the most traumatic things that can happen to kids.

• Aww, isn't that cute. You'd put your kids before your personal relationship.

Most people don't feel this way though. How old is the eldest child? My parents divorced when I was like three or something and I only have a few bad memories from it.

I turned out *mostly* okay...I think.

• Pregnant? Give the kid a fighting chance, if the other two are fine, odds are this one will be as well. Though it'd probably be a good idea to not have anymore after that...

• It's really too late to "do" anything at that point, other than keep on livin'.

I can always count on your questions/comments for an interesting perspective, Betwyn.

• I don't think there is much I'd do. We already have children. I'm not sure honestly I think I'd have to ask for people's advice. Would the government require you get divorced. Now that I think about it, would you even be able to get married since the government I assume would bring this to light when you applied for a marriage license.

wow what a conundrum. I don't know what I'd do

• If you have no father on your birth certificate, you could share a father and who would know?

• Boy. That escalated quickly.

What would I do? Well. I don't really know to be honest. It would probably involve sitting in silence for 10 minutes whilst letting my jaw wipe the floor. I would then demand a retest and if it returned a positive then id imagine that I would carry on life as before, the new information doesn't change who we are so why should we make ourselves change. The one exception being: plan on not having any more children due to potential complications with inbreeding.

Anyway, lets just hope that never happens.

• I'd be fine with it as long as our father isn't darth vader.

• Drive on as if you didn't know. Anything else just adds pain for everyone.

• No f***s would be given on that day.

• I would file for a divorce. I wouldn't have peace with myself knowing that my wife and sister are one in the same.

• *Puts gun to head and bang*

• Show More