Choose your poison: Music of Today

Which of the following artists do you think has caused the most damage to youth culture (if at all). For a psych class! Thank you!

This question has a poll!

Alternate selections are welcome. This site only allows 5 items per poll. Thank you.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Nicki. She talks only about s** and nothing else! I mean yeah the others might not be too good, but she sings songs that show young girls that they need to be bitchy and horrible to get attention, and that showing of every little bit of your skin is great. blerk.

What Girls Said 6

• Katy or Nicki

• Hmm... I would say that Kesha is definitely the worse artist out of all of those, but I don't know anyone who actually looks up to Kesha or tries to follow her, so even though she's a complete moron I'd have to say that she hasn't done any damage to youth culture.Katy Perry hasn't done anything bad that I know of. She seems to just be a regular girl. Yes, she talks about drinking and partying, but she just sings about things that regular college girls do anyway. She hasn't had an effect on youth culture at all.Lady Gaga has done a lot for the gay community. I personally don't think that's a bad thing. She's had the strongest effect on youth culture out of any of the artists that you mentioned, but like I said I don't think that encouraging homosexuals to have the same rights as heterosexuals do is a bad thing.Marylin Manson - wtf? Does he even count? He hasn't come out with anything since 2000. The only song most younger kids know from him is "Sweet Dreams" and they just think he's a weirdo. He has no effect on youth of today.Nicki Minaj - I think that I'd have to say that she's the worst of all of these. The other people either had no effect on youth culture or (in my opinion of course) benefited it, but Miss Nicki is definitely a negative influence. There are (sorrowfully) lots of people who try to copy her "baddest b****" attitude and style. She hasn't done much for society besides convincing ugly girls that they look like Barbie so, in my opinion, she is the worst.

• Manson has released several albums since 2000. His latest was in 2012/ Born Villain. link

• Oh, I didn't know about that. Most younger kids don't either. Plus, even when he was big he only targeted a small group of people (the gothic/emo group) which has faded out for the most part anyway

• Marylin Manson...and I actually like his music but for youth I think he's horrible. I think they are all pretty bad, but he's coins himself the anti-christ, that's just over the top.

• Kesha oh god!

• Both Lady Gaga and Ke$ha look like they've never heard of a shower before.

• All of them.

What Guys Said 5

• Damage?

• Kesha. I've never musically heard anything good from her.

• I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of any of those, but I don't think they've really done anything to damage youth culture.The worst (by far) would have to be Beyonce, who constantly sends out the message that it's okay to rip off other people's melodies, lyrics, choreography, costumes, etc - and that if you shake your ass while doing it, you can be a big star. And as we've just learned, you don't even need talent - you can simply mime to a prerecorded track instead.

• Can I choose Stefani Germanotta? Aka Lady Gaga before she was famous.www.YouTube.com/watch?v=urJjT-qX9V0not really my type of music to listen to often, but it's way better than what she became. And ya...

• KeshaGlorifies alcoholism and drugsI don't see anything bad about Katy Perry though

• re: Katy Perry - I presume we're supposed to be shocked and appalled by the whole "I kissed a girl and I liked it" thing, and perhaps her propensity to eject things from her nipples (whipped cream, fireworks, etc).

• ..and that's bad, because.. ?

• Who knows... Apparently some conservative types don't approve of girls kissing one another or flaunting their assets - something to do with it being unladylike or unchristian - I don't know, and don't really care...