Is a new war beginning between Russia and Ukraine?

Is a new war begining in Russia with Ukraine, the biggest Russian war, since the Cold War? Ukraine is still in trouble and trying to start a war with Russia. What do you think will come out of it?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Since the fall of the USSR, Russia has held control of the Ukraine government.
    This recent invasion is due to the fall of the Russian-backed government in Ukraine.
    The Ukraine is the most important USSR breakaway state, because there is a major oil pipeline running through the country.
    www.marcon.com/.../...pestoEurope_Manuel_thumb.gif
    Much of Russia's GDP comes from oil, so if a pro-Western government comes into power, Russia will permanently lose control of that pipeline.
    That situation is completely unacceptable to the Russians.
    Pretend you are at home (in Russia), and the power lines going to your home crosses your neighbor's yard. Now you have a new neighbor (pro-West govt) and he decided to cut the power lines to your house. It will take you 10 years to build a new power line. Or you can invade your neighbor's yard and kick him out. That is essentially what is happening.
    Controlling Ukraine is absolutely necessary to Russia. From a military and national security standpoint, I predict they will use an INCREDIBLE show of force to overwhelm the Ukraine. This means putting 5 pairs of boots for every 1 civilian in the capital, so that there is zero tolerance for uprising and instability.
    From a political standpoint, any threat from the US or UN will fall on deaf ears. The US does not have the political leverage to stop Russia. An outright attack on Russian troops could start World War 3. No leader is stupid enough to do that. Any sanctions on Russia will be very timid, seeing how the US is still recovering from a very painful recession. Russia has the ability to cripple the US economically, since the US depends on Russia for 10% of its oil imports. Any sanctions to Russia will probably mean an equal retaliation through oil.
    Russia also supplies 60-70% of Europe 's oil. So don't expect the EU to go against Russia either.
    There will be no war or civil uprising. In the end, Ukraine go back to Russian control.

What Girls Said 8

• Lets hope not.

• Already starting, Russia thinks it can win back their former little land mass.

• I hope not, but Putin seems pretty hell-bent on it, so that is what it looks like.

• Russia is the ones pulling out the weapons, so, they're the ones starting the war. But, yes, there is a war starting between them.

• Remember what Bush said... New World Order... conspiracy theory...
    I think it's happening... Soon Germany will be involved.. I predict a world war. I hope I'm wrong...

• must be *that* time of the month for you.

• Show Older
    • touche, skullyy.

• There will be no war. The US knows and expects the Russians to do this as they know Russia won't tolerate losing control of Ukraine and the oil conduit from the pipelines underground.
      The US has no real interest in the Ukraine, but must condemn Russia's actions to "save face". Otherwise, the US will appear to abandon Ukrainian civilians to the sharks.
      The US and UN will give some slap on the wrist with minor sanctions that do nothing. I bet it won't progress beyond that.

• According to articles online if this happens then Germany will get into it then UK and USA then World War, which has been set up since Bush was president.

• I live in Russia not far from Ukraine . Russia has not done anything to start a war. We only want to protect people who live in the Crimea from death. I want to say that a lot of people in Ukraine are a stupid, they don't understand what they are doing ... The USA are a sponsor for so called war between two countries. The USA were also a sponsor in the war between Russia and Georgia .

• Hmmm... welll, I don't doubt it.

• Only Russians think they are protecting Ukrainians. It is a self-centered view. Just as the USA were the only ones to think that they "liberated" the people in Iraq and Afghanistan. In reality, those countries were invaded, such is the case with Russia.
      The Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons after WW2, provided Russia signs an agreement that recognizes Ukraine as a sovereign government.
      Placing unwanted Russian military in an internationally recognized nation is called an invasion. Nobody believes Russia is in Crimea "to protect the people". Russia only wants to control the government and the security of the natural resources and pipelines running though the country, and access to the Black Sea.

• I don't think so

What Guys Said 8

• Ukraine is not trying to start a war with Russia. They finally got rid of their own corrupt government, and they want free elections. Russia (which is basically a massive nuclear power run by organised crime families) preferred the old corrupt regime to be in power.
    Russia wants to go in, restore order and put the old crooks back in power.
    Ukraine wants Russia to piss off, and hold democratic elections.
    Ukraine is a large country with a reasonably large military, but has no nuclear weapons and is dwarfed by the Russian military.
    There will be a lot of movement behind the scenes, which the public won't even be aware of. But basically the financial powers of the globe will turn their combined financial might to threaten the wealth of the Russian oligarchs. And that will force Russia to pull back.
    This won't end in war. It would end in the complete financial collapse of Russia first.

• Add to Russias economic whoes the fact that a big part of Ukrainians don't approve of the rightist coup d'etat in Ukraine.

• I don't think there will be a war:
    Russia has legal grounds
    Russian armies and militias eaily outnumber the Ukrainian armies and militias.
    A sizeable number of inhabitants of Crimea are overtly pro Russia.
    A sizeable number of inhabitants of Ukraine are overtly pro Russia.
    What will come out of it? After some show, shots and egociations, the Crimea naval facilities will get a GITMO-like status.

• Russia has no legal grounds to invade another country.
      Any pro-Russia inhabitant of Ukraine and Crimea should move to Russia.

• There's no invasion: there's the Kharkiv pact about Russia using Crimean naval facilities by russia (against a discount on gas) It's valid for another 30 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Kharkiv_Pact
      It's just the new Ukrainian government which wants to 'forget' it exists. They want to seize the Russian fleet in Sevastopol and even already commissioned a new admiral to command the Russian fleet, Berezovski. 3 days later he defected to Russia.
      http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26410

• Only the new Ukrainan govt says Russian troops in Crimea is an 'invasion'.

• Well it sure does look like it if Ukraine and Russia are facing off against each other right now. the European Union and the united nations and president Obama are not willing to do any think to help out the situation. It can be said that they are weaklings and that Putin is a lion looking to conquer territory. But maybe his troops are just there for the Russians in Ukraine lets hope so because if not things are going to get ugly over there

• Its seems crimea was invaded without resistance. Because of the mostly russian population. The real trouble will start once they head to kiev

• Ukraine is going to defend itself from Russia. Russia is invading Ukraine. I think it will end the same way when Russia invaded Georgia.

• Thats what I was thinking. Crimea will either become annexed or become part of russia

• Russia has just invaded Ukraine and you say that Ukraine is trying to start a war with Russia? Kinda the other way around.

• I'm trying to get info
      What's the story?

• Show Older
    • Russia has legitimate rights on it's own naval facilities.
      No invasion: Russians have been there for hundreds of years, since 1783. About as long as the USA exists thus. Could England reclaim the USA?

• Rights on their naval bases, but Russia has taken over all of Crimea and is building up threatening rest of country. We have had Brits here in US since our inception; by your reasoning England COULD reclaim USA.

• Russia needs to stop doing what they're doing. Someone needs to put an end to there non sense and put some fear into them. US always got involved with conflicts like this to prevent world wars, not because US is bullies. But hey, let them hate us as long as they fear us. US won't do anything though, we aren't what we used to be.

• Ukraine doesn't want to be at war with Russia but Russia has invaded which means something is bound to happen. The Ukrainian government was pro Russia while the people of the country are pro U. S./democracy. Their president was a freaking dictator. It was NOT a democracy. He was doing terrible things to his people. I see world war III in the near future

• If China starts invading taiwan maybe

• Why in the world would China invade Taiwan

• Metal89, you have no clue do you.
      China would absolutely love to invade Taiwan and take control of it. It has been a major issue for China for decades.

• Ukraine didn't try to start a war at all, Russia freaking invaded them!
    Ukraine doesn't have the strength to repel them and stay free, so it all boils down to what NATO and our pathetically weak President Obama does in response. Left to him, Russia will probably be free to carve out a new eastern bloc...

• No invasion: Russians have been there for hundreds of years, since 1783. About as long as the USA exists thus.
      Could England reclaim the USA?

• Pardon then, what do you call it when the military of nation A rolls into nation B, with the government of nation B screaming that they are being invaded? It doesn't matter that Russians live in east Ukraine, it's a military invasion and takeover of another nation.

• Russia has no legal grounds to simply take over Ukraine as they are doing. They're not "protecting their interests", they are attempting a blatant takeover of the country.