How can you love someone so much and have no connection with them?

That's what my boyfriend said when he broke up with me. It was 2 days after our 1 year anniversary. I was over there the day before he broke up with me and we had a good time. I've asked a lot of people and they don't understand either.

His dad has told me that he still cares. But whenever I see him he seems fine. Is there any way I can tell if he still cares about me?
I've seen him twice today. He smiled at me and said hi. The second time he actually talked to me. I'm beginning to wonder if he wants to get back together?
Should I stop calling him? Should I let him try to talk to me? Almost every time I talk to him I cry afterward because I miss him so much. What should I do?
I logged on to Facebook last night and seen his relationship status has changed. I called his house to talk to him and find out if it was true. His dad answered the phone and said he didn't know he was with someone (He's the one who's been telling me not
to give up. He told me to calm down and he'd find out and let me know. So he asked my exs mom and she said that he wasn't. I don't know who or what to believe. It's only been about 2.5 weeks since he broke up with me.