He only says he loves me when he's drunk: does he mean it?

So when he's drunk, he gets very affectionate and whispers I love yous in my ear. But when he's sober, he won't even say it back when I say it!

He used to say it all the time, called me baby girl and all that. Then we broke up because I wanted a more serious relationship. He said he didn't love me like that.that he loved me but not enough for a serious relationship. Now we are seeing each other again and I think he really likes spending time with me. He says he misses me and comes to see me about once or twice a week and calls me every other day or texts. I don't think he wants a relationship but what about his feelings? Do you think he loves me or not? Why won't he respond when I say it yet says it when he's drunk? Is he just scared of me wanting more again if he says it or is he playing with me?