Passive aggressive vs. Narcissism? Are they overlapping?

There are a lot of symptoms in common between those two personality disorders. So, could they be overlapping?What's the difference between them?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Passive-aggressive personality disorder:A pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicted by four (or more) of the following:1. passively resists fulfilling routine social and occupational tasks2. complains of being misunderstood and unappreciated by others3. is sullen and argumentative4. unreasonably criticizes and scorns authority5. expresses envy and resentment toward those apparently more fortunate6. voices exaggerated and persistent complaints of personal misfortune7. alternates between hostile defiance and contritionDoes not occur exclusively during major depressive episodes and is not better accounted for by dysthymic disorder.Narcissistic personality disorder:A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)4. Requires excessive admiration5. Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others8. Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudesI'd say the two are pretty different.

• He is proactive, yes. Good point :)

• Narcissists are perfectly capable of proactive behaviors. Narcissists can, and often do, put in significant work into achieving their goals. However, they expect greater results than what they generally can get. A narcissist may complain about how everyone/the world/life is so unfair - but they will also take actions to make their lives better.In a nutshell - does the person take action. Are they capable of being proactive? That is the main difference in the outward symptoms.

• Those symptoms are similar. However, here's the difference: Passive aggressive people generally come off as whiners. They rarely take action, and often lack ambition. Instead, they prefer to complain about how everyone/the world/life has been so unfair to them. If a person behaves in a proactive manner, they are almost never passive aggressive.

• Show Older

What Guys Said 1

• Passive aggressive just means that person doesn't address conflict directly. I don't see one personality type as a prerequisite for the other. Wouldn't the passive aggressive person suffer from low sense of self?

• No, I don't study Psychology :D but I'm interested in studying human behavior . Also, my ex was a pure narcissist I believe. I love the last thing you said "But a narcissist could behave any way that s/he wants to manipulate the situation to his or her own gain, including passive aggressive behavior, IF s/he thinks it would be effective." He's a narcissist then :DThanks!

• Well, I'm not a PhD. Somebody can behave in a passive aggressive manner simply because that's the only way they know how or are comfortable in dealing with conflict. Because they have a diminished sense of self.But a narcissist could behave any way that s/he wants to manipulate the situation to his or her own gain, including passive aggressive behavior, IF s/he thinks it would be effective.That's my take, anyway.Aren't you studying psych? :)

• You don't like long answers, I've noticed :DYou got me confused here. So, you are saying a narcissist would punish you if that is for his own benefit, one way or another, or wouldn't punish you if that wouldn't conform to his appeal. But a passive aggressive is a systematic thinking where when hurt = punishment. Huh?

• Show Older

What Girls Said 1

• If they were the same thing, they'd be called by the same name.