How certain are you of your religious beliefs and why?

I was recently reading an article about certainty and religion, and was wondering how the GaG community felt on the topic.

• I'm religious and 100% certain
  • I'm religious but not 100% Certain
  • I'm an atheist.
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

2059

What Girls Said 20

• I'm atheist. I don't discourage others beliefs but after years of searching and research I have made my choice.

• I'm a Christian 100% with full faith, and its because of that. I know when God is communicating to me, and I can feel his presence there. I have faith that the bible is true.

• You don't have agnostic on the list... No one can be sure this is why it is called faith. The true definition of faith is bleeding in something you can't actually truly see or prove. The bible, especially the King James version, has changed so many times and strayed so far from the original, that it is just way too hard to believe.

I've also noticed that when comparing books, a lot of Christians will talk about what Islam says about women yet they truly have no idea the awful things the bible mentions about women. In Islam there is an entire book called al nissa, which roughly translates to mean the women. It is meant to be there for women's protection, but without reading the rest of the book it wouldn't sound very good to anyone either. There are also similarities, for instance you aren't supposed to touch the quran when on your period and the bible says Christian women are supposed to be shunned on their period because they are so "unclean." Christianity also makes references about stoning women to death.

There are not currently any verses about stoning in the Quran although it is said at one point in time there was and that Mohammed killed one of his wives Khalid. In the bible it was originally stated not to eat pork etc, but people didn't like how strict the old testament was so they went and wrote the second to cancel some of that out.

In other words, all of the main religions are quite similar and there is no evidence which is real or if any of them are real. Hinduism is basically similar, but broken down into individual gods along with the idea of reincarnation. So like other Agnostics, I believe yes I'm sure there is some type of higher power, however, I have not seen enough evidence that really really makes up for all of the inconsistencies.

• 6d

Most agnostics are atheists, that's why I worded the poll as such.

In you don't believe a god exists, but don't know, then you are still an atheist by definition. An agnostic atheist, but an atheist all the same

• I like that there's only one atheist option in the poll and it doesn't state anything with regards to certainty.

There are 4 categories here -
    Theists/Atheists and Gnostics/Agnostics.
    Gnosticism of course refering to the knowing vs believing positions.

I would fall under the Gnostic Atheist banner -
    I will happy assert the non-existence of God based on the Theists seemingly endless amount of time to provide any sort of proof for their claims, yet always coming up empty handed. I do believe that in extraordinary cases such as the claim of a god, that absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence.
    A deity should be so easy to prove - so why hasn't it been done?

• 7d

There are innumerable amounts of god claims, and for the sake of avoiding an argument about whether or not knowledge could be had and what knowledge is I decided to just have one atheist option since all of the atheists I know admit that knowledge (absolute certainty in this case) can't be had.

• 6d

Evidence is a concept that humans have created to be able to fathom reality. If I had told you that I had a dog in my house yet you have not seen it, in your situation, you deny it, but others that believe me will come in my house and see the dog will confirm the belief that I had a dog in the first place. This is is an anology for you to understand aetheists vs Christians. Also on the side note I have discover that aetheist seem to work in attacking Christians claims instead of working to debunk it. I'll let you think about this..

• 6d

@KINGNIGGA123 But a claim that you have a dog in your house is not an extraordinary claim - it's very common for people to have dogs.
      If you told me to have a talking dog in your house then your analogy would work.

As for Atheists responding more to Christian behaviours rather than disproving their claims - of course you are correct - what could I possibly do to disprove a god? What would you accept as evidence of the non-existence of a god?

• I am a Christian , and through years of experience I have learnt and realised that God is not just a concept or myth but he really does exist. I have come to know him intimately and experience his great involvement in my life.

The Bible says " taste and see that the Lord is good" .. so if you'd give your self time to actually taste , surrender and take the courage to call out to him to show him self to you, you'd surely see and understand what I am talking about.

So yep.. I am a believer and 100% certain about Jesus Christ :)

• 7d

How are you sure that what you're experiencing isn't a mere simulation due to your expectation of the experience?

• 7d

I was a Christian for nearly 20 years lol, but thanks for the answer.

• I don't believe in the mainstream religions as such... i believe that there are auras and energy... I guess kind of like spiritualism :) and no i am not sure about the beliefs haha it is a very controversive topic and one can't really scientifically prove it... but then again, can anyone scientifically prove any other religion? :) To me it just seems the most plausible... plus there are too many people experiencing 'strange' things for it to be purely fictional ;-) at the end of the day, if you like to read books i recommend 'Sapiens'... very good in the sense that it promotes the idea that as we are the only species to have quite an elaborate language and vocabulary, our world is made up of words and lies :-D This is also true for traditional religions in my opinion. It helps to tame society and make people live together with relative peace. If you think about it, it is only language that actually formed politics and societal values etc... imagine if animals would have such a luxury!! Anyway, a bit far grabbed from the original question, but I believe that everything can be true and nothing can also be true thanks to the mutual human understandings.

• 6d

James Randi for some people who psychics said had big auras to his behind screens just big enough to hide their physics! bodies, the psychics couldn't tell which screens were hiding people and which weren't.

• I am spiritual, not religious, and 100% certain. They do NOT actually *need* us to worship them. If they need it, then they're not truly all powerful.

• Wooo, look at that atheist percentage climbing! Warms my heart. :)

• What about: I'm not religious but not 100% certain?

Can't say it doesn't exist, even tho I'm not religious.

• I just love how everyone that says that they're religious gets a lot of downvotes while anyone who is an atheist gets a bunch if up votes. ~T_T~

• 7d

I have only upvoted people, not downvoted anyone... just saying.

• 7d

@ladsin I love these discussions as well

• 7d

As an atheist, I don't immediately downvote religious people on here, though I very much agree with @Lynx122. However, I do downvote religious people when they claim things that are demonstrably untrue, such as the girl on here who claimed that the Koran consists of 80% modern scientific facts. This is a mantra that muslims love to repeat over and over again but it's still incorrect.

• I guess I would call myself atheist but everyone I know is katolik. I'm pretty sure that religions aren't real.

• Spiritual, not religious. Extremely certain

• Used to question my faith but after studying more, I'm more religious now.

• I am a muslim and it's bc God gave the rights to women and treat everyone equally also bc the Qur'an consists of 80% scientific facts that are newly known or discovered (Quran is written 1400 years ago!) and bc my religion even taught me how to do everything from the way of thinking down to my attitude and dealing with people fairly and kindly i am a muslim bc I have more than just written words or feelings that God exists I have facts and I love being religious

• 7d

👌👍👍👍..

• 6d

I meant os sacrum, bloody spell checker!

• 6d

Cords, I meant cordal vertebret, obviously obscure anatomical words aren't programmed into my spell checker.

• I'm sure of my beliefs because of experiences I've had and because of things I've read about and heard about happening.

• Im 100% beacuse God have changed me in a way i could not do on My own and im so thankfull!

• 1d

I respect your beliefs but I am wondering why you would attribute this "change" to a higher power? What's so special about this "change" that would be rather affected/influenced by a higher power?

• Funny how I think there should be a 'Not religious, but 100% certain" option because that's me. I'm not so religious but I'm still afraid of the consequences.

• i am 100% certain. I feel it.

• I am buddhist but not very much a religious person. Thought religion is a very complicated topic but still i only follow what i think is right.

• I'm religious and I have 100% believe in Allah Almighty.

What Guys Said 59

• 100%. No doubt whatsoever. Proud Christian.😎

• Like about 98% of all atheists (rough estimate by me), I'm an agnostic atheist (also sometimes called "weak atheism"). This means that I lack both belief and knowledge in and of a supernatural power. Since there is not even a tiny shred of evidence that a god/gods exist and everything we know about nature, logics and the world actually points to the other direction, I am almost completely certain that gods do not exist. However, I acknowledge that I might possibly be wrong.

And it also depends whether we talk about theism or deism. If we talk about the specific God of the Bible, I am 100% certain that he does not exist. If we talk about deism ("some sort of higher power or energy"), I admit I might be wrong, though I consider that possibility highly unlikely.

• I don't believe in any gods or after-life. So I'm non-religious. I and some other people thinks labeling me as an atheist is right since I'm sure no gods exists. But you however don't see me as an atheist, so it seems like this labeling isn't black and white, but several shades. People from my location do actually use the term about people who are sure gods doesn't exist.

• I am a Christian and 100% sure of my salvation. Can anyone have a relationship if they don't know the other person? The only way to have a relationship with Jesus Christ is to get to know Him personally. The Holy Bible states clearly how to have this relationship. That means you must have an open mind when you search the Scriptures and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you in your mind and in your heart. Jesus said "seek Me and you will find Me". It's amazing to me how so many people have a negative response to Christianity and Jesus and God but have never taken the time and effort to read the Bible for themselves. There is a personal message for each and every person who will read the Bible with an open mind and heart. You can only know Him by searching everything about Him, then you can grow that personal relationship that will build your faith and lead you to certainty that you will go to heaven when you die. Just as you can't fully trust a total stranger, you can not have faith in one you do not know and trust with your whole life.

• 6d

So in order to believe in him you have to first believe in him?

• I personally think all religions are fantasies created as a comfort blanket to ward off facing the unbearably frightening and lonely truth that we are but a speck of dust on a speck of dust in an unknowable universe filled with massive things that could destroy us at any moment without any warning. I think that humans are incapable of really accepting that reality without freaking out so they invent fantasies as a distraction which we call religion to make them think we are protected. Having said that I respect people who believe in any religion that doesn't include the proselytization, subjugation of non-believers or violence against innocent people. I accept that they could be right, but I don't believe they are. I respect their right to believe whatever they want provided it meets the criteria I mentioned. And I even admire them for having a faith that I am unable to bring myself to have. And by the way I think "science" is just another religion. To arrogantly claim that "we know" ANYTHING is folly. I don't believe that science has any better bead on the big questions such as "What created the universe," and "What is our purpose," and "How do you create life," than any other religion. I think anyone who thinks they know the answer is a fool. Someday, if we finally do know the answer, whether through the rapture or through some telescopic discovery, I think it will be as different from what any human being ever believed as black is from white. In a world where we can't even create the most elementary form of life, I think humans flatter themselves to presume they know anything at all.

• I've never been religious and never will be. I haven't come across a single reason to believe any of those fairytales. Religion does a lot more harm than good in my opinion.

• There is a reason why it is called "faith."

• 'm an atheist

• Agnostic/Athiest I know there isn't sufficient evidence for or against the existence of a supreme being (agnostic). Therefore, I live my life as one doesn't exist (Atheist). First part answers what I know and the second part answers what I believe.

It is critical for the one making the claim to back up their theory with evidence. If not, we can get stuck in this circular argument that will go on forever.

• religion is something to be analysed the more you use your mind the more you go further from the truth but the more you use your heart and the more you feel the more you are closer to your trueself knowledge is taught wisdom is God given most of you are thinking not feeling most of the most profound discoveries were not derived from critical thinking they were derived from simple emotions and feelings
    don't use your simple human minds to try to comprehend something way waaay much greater than you because you will never understand it with your simple human mind that's what happened at the tower of Babel people thought of them as God's but they were reduced to primitive behaviour
    I believe in religion 100%

• Atheist and 100% certain. Even if I'm wrong and god exists he's an obvious sadistic asshole and tyrant (or, at the least, useless) that I want nothing to do with anyway.

• I'm asexual

• As an athiest im 1000% commited to me myself and i.
    :P

• 7d

Be careful with "loving" yourself too much 😂

• 99% certain, not 100%

• Equiped with good knowledge of history, and even I can use my own brain to make the equation that why our religious book said something which doesn't suit of fit in today's world.
    Actually whatever is given in our religious books is correct according to that time, when some barbaric people or rulers existed, only one rule of power was accepted, no rights were given. No science, no phone to inform or call help immediately,
    Once you got trapped in by anyone means death only bla bla, a lot to tell dude.
    So they made many rules for mem women and children to protect them and they were correct for that point of time but wrong for now, but some rules suits in today's world as well, like drinking or smoking is bad, respect everyone who respect you as well etc etc.
    Therefore I use my own brain so I'm a little bit of everything, I'm a follower and a non follower as well. :-)

• I'm not necessarily an atheist but I'm not religious either.
    I believe in the possible existence of a Super/Almighty being but I personally don't agree with a lot of the stuff in the religious guides/books.
    I live based on moral compass/conscience and balance.

• I'm certain that I'm not biologically equipped to know entirely the world i reside in, let alone have the arrogance to claim I have any idea as to how it came to be outside of scientific deduction.

• I am a Christian and I evaluated all the different beliefs based on evidence, history, psychology and archeology andd nothing comes close

• I'm an agnostic.

• I'm a Christian and I'm 100% certain on my belief

• 100% certain and because I've experienced things science or anything else for that matter can not explain and I have had way, way to many religious and supernatural experiences as well as personal experiences.

• 7d

Have you ever heard of an argument from ignorance fallacy?

• 7d

No the ignorance fallacy refers to a lack of evidence. There was no shortage of evidence on any of of the things I've experienced. What happened just can't be explained through scientific means it's that simple.

Believe it or not but some things well actually a lot of things can't be explained or solved through science.

• 6d

No, your argument that, Science can't (currently) explain ________, means that it must have been something supernatural. Is fallacious thinking, but anyway, I appreciate the conversation!

• I'm like %50 sure there's something
    Science and Philosophy can never prove that God doesn't exist by %50 and it also can't prove that God exists by %50. even Atheist philosophers don't say God doesn't exist... they just say that there is no enough evidences to prove him %100.

• 7d

Well atheist philosophers just say there's no evidence. They don't throw in the 100% bit.

• 100% certain Christian. Very alarming to see this poll results. But then again, I was very Atheistic when I was in my teens and early 20's. Fortunately, prayer can certainly CHANGE things :)

• I am not religious. I may follow a Buddhist philosophy. which would kinda make me agnostic as I am trying to find the truth if there is one. It only makes sense to be agnostic rather than doing what other people do and believing with all you have.

• I don't know i sorta believe in taoism and buddhism, but im mostly atheist/agnostic

• Burden of evidence is always on the person making the claim. As a scientist I can say for certain that there is no supernatural entities or God (s).

• I'm religious and 💯% certain because I grew up in a Christian household! I still want to commit to it.

• I'm Catholic and certain about my religion but sometimes I lack to abide our commandments and laws. I'm really disappointed to see the atheists rising.

• My beliefs are the reason why im still strong in this world. Without them we would collapse

• Once you have a doubt, you're not certain anymore.

• More from Guys
    29