Are there any condoms out there that don't suck?

I suppose I've been fortunate, but in all the years I've been having sex, I've never had to use a condom. I've only ever had sex while in a monogamous relationship with women who were on some other form of birth control.

Well, my girlfriend's on Implanon, right now, and it's been a little over two years so it's going to need replacing, however, there's been a change in our insurance that basically means that she'll be without it for a couple of months before the new insurance takes effect. We were discussing it, and I mentioned just using condoms for a couple of months, and she laughed, and said that I wouldn't be able to deal with it, especially since I've never used one before.

See, I'd always just assumed that guys who told their girlfriends that sex doesn't feel as good with a condom were just wanting to go bareback for some psychological thing. I mean, condoms are pretty f***ing thin, right? How much different can it be?

Well, I was an idiot. We tried sex with a condom last night, just for me to try it out, and it sucked. I mean, really, really sucked. I couldn't even really tell that I was inside her at first, there wasn't much in the way of heat, very little friction, and of course, zero wetness. Around my glans, I guess the condom wasn't making complete contact underneath the head, and when I would thrust, it would rub against me uncomfortably. We had sex for about three minutes with it on, before chucking the thing and going bare, and even after that, while sex was much improved, I swear I could still feel the thing. I don't know if it was that physical sensation or some sort of a mental thing, but it kept me from coming for quite awhile.

Anyway, I was just using standard Trojan lubricated condoms. I've seen ones out there that claim to be "ultra thin" and such, but she thinks those will feel just as sh*tty. Is there a brand/type of condom out there that doesn't make sex feel almost pointless?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've had excellent experiences with Kimono condoms, as well as the Okamoto brands (Crown, Beyond Seven, Orchid, .003). These are my go-to brands, and I buy them in bulk.

If it's a spur-of-the-moment thing, I go for Durex ultra-thins, found at most pharmacies and grocery stores.

Trojans have their fans, but I haven't used one since high-school--they feel like I'm wearing a truck tire.

• Report

Seriously, I can't believe how sh*tty sex with one of those things is. A truck tire is a fairly accurate description.

• Report

Change brands, Trojans are a poor start. Get one of those ultra-thin grab bags from a condom site, and experiment.