1/2 teen "girls" get sexualy molested or abused in canada. is this a load of crap or not?

I heard a disturbing "fact" on a TV add that 1/2 teen & preteen girls get molested or sexually abused in Canada. personally I can't believe that. it... Show More

at male anon who said "nice down vote" YOU BLOCKED ME so I can't even give you a vote if I wanted to. also I would have given you a +1
I could have worded my question better but I don't think all of these stats are women going around making up they've been raped I just think it makes Canada look bad and HOPE it's not true. if it is true I want to see if there's anything I can do about it, donate money to someone or raise awareness about it. if it's less than 1/2 like 1/3 or 1/4 than they should state the real facts and explain how they got them.
here's a link that was given to me link forms of sexual assault are most common. (81%) of self-reported sexual assault incidents took the form of unwanted sexual touching while sexual attacks accounted for approximately one in 5 incidents (19%)

1 in 10 coming to the attention of police.steady decline in offences coming to the attention of law enforcement which I think is quite sad.

Most Helpful Guy

• One time on yonge street a guy asked me for help with a map then groped me when I looked at the map. I just walked away. Technically that's considered sexual assault under Canadian law.

Under the strictest definition of sexual assault I imagine more then 1/2 of girls have been sexually assaulted.

this isn't to minimize being groped or to downplay the many kids who have suffered much more serious abuse often on an ongoing basis.

I just don't know how to interpret statistics like the one given without knowing what they mean.

Asker upvoted
    • thank you for your answer. my main goal is to find out where I can get stats or find out how they get their stats also if I can't I would like to gather up the information for myself.

• Stats like this are actually quite difficult to collect.

If you want to see some crazy range of stats try looking up prison rape in the United States. Some data suggests more men are raped in prison then women are raped outside it. And of course they don't tend to be single incidents.

• that prison rape stat could be a way of deter people from committing crime. I'm sure prison rape is higher than out of prison but having it that high would definitely scare people from committing crimes that could end them up in jail.