If a person grew up in a household that encourage them to lighten their skin does that influence them heavily to marry white person as an adult?

If a person grew up in a household that encourage them to lighten their skin does that influence them heavily to marry white person as an adult?This is Kema Rajandran. She is the runner-up in the Miss India Australia contest in 2008. She spent two years modelling in the UK from 2009 but she says her career in Australia came to a standstill after a Perth-based casting agency told her that her non-Caucasian features would limit her career prospects. As a child, Kema was encouraged to use skin whitening products by her parents but has since taken a stand against them. Many Indians associate dark skin with a lower class status.

She starts speaking around 24:55 where she talks about her family discouraging her from going outside because they didn't want her to get any darker. In addition, they even bought skin lightning cream so her skin could become lighter. Now in this talk show segment she speak about being proud of your skin but she later goes on to marry... a WHITE GUY.
Poll Question: Do you think a heavy reason for her marrying this person was because he was white and she didn't want her children to go through what she went through?

• Yes
  • No

149

Most Helpful Girl

• I think to some degree it influences her preferences. Being a child wanting to go outside to play and just be a child, young and free, then being told you can't because your skin will get darker will have some influence on the child and how they see their own skin. Constantly being told to use certain products because they will lighten your skin automatically sends the message that your dark skin tone isn't acceptable or not as beautiful. In her case she might have married him because he is white, but also because she loves him. Only she knows that answer. Mainstream media has depicted white/light skin tone as beautiful, and women daily are always held to a standard, teeth, weight, hair, clothes, make-up etc. Skin tone does factor into these issues.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe but in her case she seems to have taken a stand against that mentality. Perhaps she just happens to like the guy even though he looks like he is a claymation come to life.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 13

• She may be attracted to the guy, has nothing to do with wanting her children to be light.

• That's a very interesting dialogue group. Thanks for posting that, did you get to the male fairness cream commercial, wowza.

I think love is the ultimate reason. She may have been taught from childhood that white is better and that warped into white men must be the best. But who am I to say that for sure and I would never know that, I'm not some God or something. At the very end of the day, she married him out of love.

That being said, I do agree that a child would grow up to like lighter individuals if raised to think light is better and dark is bad.

• Yes. If they grow up believing their dark skin isn't desirable, they'll get the message that only light/white skin s desirable. Because of that they don't want their children to go through what they went through being dark, they marry a person with light/white skin (not necessarily only white people). Also if the children turn out dark, they will continue the cycle of encouraging them to bleach their skin.

• This is really sad, but I know it's common when you're not white and grow up in a household full of racist people...
    Anyways, I think she might love him and that's the only reason why she got married to him.
    But, there's also a chance of her not wanting her kids to go through the same things she did. She might think they'll look better because they'll be light skinned.
    However, I don't think this happens to all the people who grew up listening to their family saying they should bleach their skin.

• I think to answer this question in a general sense, yes, people who grew up in homes that encouraged skin lightening are more inclined to date/marry people of lighter skin tone given that is what their mentality has been made to think is better. In her case though? I feel she actually fell in love with the man, not the skin

• if a white guy loves me i would marry him. if a black guy loves me i would marry him. no one marries due to someones race

• You'd be surprise how many people marry for other than love. Some marry for green cards others because they want kids to come out a certain way.

• as far as i came across i think mosf indian men are douchbags and i wouldn't want to marry one. if a white guy would be well behaved why not.. but not due to color thats stupid

• What about you loving them back? Lol

• Why are people so obsessed with other people's relationships? It doesn't affect you so stop asking stupid questions.

• Yes, my indian friends say they're parents would be happier if they brought home a white guy rather than a darker guy.

• I most defiantly think that being raised in a house where you're to bleach your skin can corrupt someone from a very early age. The thing with women of color who have inner hatred towards their skin color or were taught inner hatred, they tend to go for the bottom of the barrel when it comes to white men. As long as they're white, they're pleased. Even if they may be unattractive, abusive and one of the worst people to be in a relationship with.

• Am I the only one that thinks its ironic that (generally) white people want to get darker and darker people want to get whiter?

• No, most people who do that are jealous of lighter skinned people even if they don;t admit it, it will also be lust and a bit of resentment towards the thing they aspire to be, could be why many interracial doesn't work, marry someone because you love them and find a connection.

• Oh my god, I've gone through the same thing as a kid. Expect it was about my kinky hair.

• maybe

What Guys Said 8

• I'm Indian and idgaf about colour shit 😂
    I like black girls more 😍
    So whoever I'll fall for skin tone won't matter
    If I love her then I love her 💁

• Yes, it is a shame she is a gorgeous woman. I noticed growing up if someone has the choice to not be a target of racism they take it. Also Asian culture seems to favor white people and their features. Also in some circles getting a white guy or girl is a way to move up. Or at least lose the stigmas that their race has to deal with when they didn't date a white person

• I think it can, but she has a beautiful skin complextion. Man self hate is horrible. Smh

• I marry in my own group. I think there some special about each group. So I see it that you marry in your own group. We not getting on to a race issues. So do not start. I put an end to it.

• Yes because White people are more successful, rich.

• maybe but I don't think his white skin was the key factor.

• Your really think she married someone because of their skin? Not everything is about race

• We all know Indians treat white people nice and black people like shit. It's well known fact.

Hell an Indian dude on here wrote a mytake trying to convince WHITE WOMEN (VERY SPECIFIC) on why thy should date Indian men and went even so far as to slander men of other races.