For you, is it healthy to compare yourself to others?

• Yes, it is.
  • No, it isn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• First, don't compare things you can't change. Accept it and move on.

Second, compare a whole package, not just one aspect. You may be chubby, but you can be excelled in computer engineering that employers'd love to hire you. Good look can gain you an edge, but you gotta make your brain and personality attractive and cool. Physically attractive people suck if they're hollow inside.

Lastly, choose your comparison "battle", and be ready to lose, because people are awesome. Not JUST because they are super pretty or own expensive things they got from their parents. It's because they know how to build the awesomeness from their activities, their habits, and their passions. Compare things that matter.

Plus, comparison is time- and energy-comsuming. Spend them on yourself! Comparison is healthy only when you do so to your past selves. I hope you see improvement.

A simple experience is already a good gain. Doesn't have to be useful. It is valuable just by itself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've always been a strong believer in not comparing yourself to others. Everyone is different, has a different life situation, a different mindset, different preferences etc. Comparing yourself to someone else is therefore pointless, because you have such different starting points.
    Think of it as being good at drawing. Some people have more of a natural gift for it; seeing shapes/sizes and being able to draw them out nicely, getting a hang of it rather quickly. Others have to work a bit harder to become good at drawing. But in general, I feel like practicing is what makes or breaks an artist. You will never get better if you don't spend hours upon hours of doodling, studying your own work, looking at what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right.
    You won't get better at drawing if you just sit back and envy other people's artwork, and compare their drawings to yours. You won't get better at drawing if you feel defeated just because someone else is better at it than you.
    What has really helped me as an artist, is taking a look at what my art looked like a couple of years ago, and comparing it to what it looks like now. Not only do I actually get to *see* myself evolve and become better, but it's also a massive confidence boost to focus on just myself and the progress I'VE made.
    That's why I'm a strong believer in simply competing with yourself. To strive to become the best version of you that you can be. To compare yourself to the past you, and to look forward to the changes and progress you can make in the future.
    Can you use other people as inspiration? Absolutely! And that's fine, it can even be healthy. But you can be inspired by someone without comparing yourself to them, without feeling as though they're better/prettier/smarter/more talented than you.
    So, like I said, comparing yourself to someone else won't really help you in the long run. What will help you, though, is to study yourself and the work you do, to look at the progress you've made and to set up achievable goals for yourself in the future.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 42

• Depends where that sense of comparison is coming from.
    If it's jealousy and insecurity then it's not healthy.

If it's from admiration and you see them as a role model then it's normal.

• From a relationship coaching lens, comparing yourself to others is one of the unhealthiest practices. Too many people get their self esteem (confidence) from the judgments of others or comparing themselves to others. It sets the wrong standard and establishes unrealistic expectations--this since we will never satisfy everyone.

• I don't like to compare myself to anyone. Because I am special and unique just like I consider everyone else as unique and special. Nobody in this world is exactly the same , and everybody deserves to live their own existence in the ways that God has prepared for them. Live with love and love what you are ---that is how I live.

• It's bad to compare yourself to others because you don't want to be like them. You should try to be your own better person.

• i think it is because your just following a crowd not being who you want too be if you just agree without using your own mind to think about it.

• If you are comparing stuff like happiness, things, love life, and etc. it not worth it as every one has different starts and support in life so it not healthy nor fair to compare yourself to them.

• depends on the situation you're in, for example i know this guy who is really skinny and good looking, iam good looking and not fat as well but he has much more money, he can afford to fk around and he has a pretty nice car, meanwhile i have nothing of that, he gets laid a lot but if i comprae myself to him it means iam gonna lose everytime because he simply posses the means of attracting all these womens, and doesn't have to work or study hard he can afford to "play" while i have to stay focused on my goal.

• I say no because it could lead to a whole bunch of mental problems. Most likely depression would be the start of it and you would be jealous of people which could lead to very dangerous circumstances.

• It's not a cliche, your path is your path. If you find yourself on the outside the majority, remember, they don't understand you because they're not suppose to. You are free. Shape yourself in honorable but amazing ways. Follow your passion but remain rooted in reality. One day, when you can look back at a life well lived, you'll be glad you never had to play by their rules. Lead with love always.

• No never healthy to compare our self to others cause
    there's actually people who follow poor diets and don't
    realize how dangerous their putting themselves in cause
    some people actually start following poor eating habits
    as others that are around them.

• So long as you aren't obsessive and instead rake inspiration from it, go for it.

• Yes, it is. Competition and setting goals is the modern day form of natural selection. Of course the goals should be healthy ones, not something that can ruin you physically or mentally. Everyone should know their limits.

• Well when it comes to doing artwork I like to compare myself to others as I think it makes me raise the bar more on the quality of my work and helps to motivate me. I do this because I feel confident in my abilities whereas many don't like to compare themselves to others as it makes them miserable.

• Yes, I compare myself to others all the time just to boost my ego so it is healthy for me.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MPG-aLD-EY

this is a good video on why you shouldn't

• Either if is healthy or not we do it to improve apperance, behaviour, attitude for the purpose of attention, well-being, and communication.
    Why we do it? We do it because of judgement for example some flower smell good, some bad, soe food is more delicious than other, and this goes on even until we compare us and other people.

• What you mean by saying ''healthy'' ? I am a competitive/cocky guy for sure I compare myself to others, it comes natural.

• I don't think it is, sort of

• When I do that, first I feel really good about myself. Then I get angry because I conclude that other people are shit.

• It's healthy if the person is better than you..
    Coz you see something better you know where to improve

• Comparing yourself to a strong opponent is healthy, it improves your ability.
    Comparing oneself to the weaker ones is just looking down in the less accomplished. Gives you false pride

• No, it's keeps taking your self esteem, and self worth, while showing, and evolving you being self centered.. Not healthy at all really..

• I found it really useful to compare myself to myself. It's really motivating and still you don't have any jealousy in you and you can be friend with those of your teammates who ate better than you.

• no its not

• Yes it is. Its great motivation.

• no im nothing alike

• Yeah it motivates me lol

• Just read an article similar to this question

• nope I just compare myself to who I used to be and who I will be one day

• I'm always comparing myself to others, doesn't mean I'm useless, it's simply envy

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 47

• Haha! I loved that picture it's so cute! 😍 But for me, I'd say that it's almost 50-50 but I think in the end, it's healthy for me. Because then I motivate myself to better myself in different areas of life. I see someone very fashionable and at first I get a bit envious, but then, it inspires me to try and do that good. It's a bit weird now that I'm explaining it haha! But yeah... At first it's negative, but in the end, it has a positive effect. Also, it's positive because I find role models to compare myself to for bettering myself also. For example, I create digital art as a hobby. (Skins to be specific.) And I'll compare my work with other people's to gain inspiration and discover new techniques for my own stuff. The same with writing and poetry also! Hope this helps! Great question by the way! This was super interesting and fun to think about! 😁👍🏼❤️

• It depends actually in which way you strive to be like others and how much importance you put in the outcome.

I personally find it okay to compare yourself with others, if it only results in yourself trying to be a better you in order to be more like them. Not to be them but be like them. As long as you don't actively try and be somebody you're not, it's okay.

However, if you should end up faking something you're not or perhaps even becoming depressed over not being able to be somebody else, it's going too far. Comparing yourself to others should never result in you feeling worse about yourself but rather in you working on yourself.

• Not necessarily because you can gain more negativity out of it than positivity, there's a difference when comparing what they have and what you don't etc. Vs using other people are aspirations and goals in a healthy way.

• depends on the situation same as stress. It can help motivate you to become a better you but it can be bad for people who are already doing good and don't realize it. Like girls who are already skinny but think they need to lose weight. But if you're a big girl and you see skinny people it can help motivate you to lose the weight.

• in my opinion the happiest people in the world are those who don't compare themselves to others. There was once a time when I was like that, and life was pretty good. I wasn't the #1 in my class or at whatever I was doing, but I was happy. I felt good about it. That's all that should've mattered in the end.

When you compete, it's all about being better than the person next to you. The problem is that no matter what, there will always be tons of people better than you in something. Competition can consume you.

• Absolutely not for me.
    I'm extremely competitive, have an addictive personality, and suffer from body dysmorphia. This combination and comparing myself to others is a recipe for disaster.

• Comparing yourself in a positive way is great. Compare yourself to others in a mind set that's healthy. Such as saying, "shes so fit, my goal is to be that fit" or "she works so hard, i'd like to try to become a hard worker." Compare yourself in a positive way that is for your benefit. Don't compare yourself in a negative way and don't worry about what others have that you don't. Use comparisons to others in a positive and uplifting way instead of a way to put yourself down.

• It depends. It can motivate you to be a better person in one way, shape, or form. However, if you obsess over it, especially if it's something out of your control, it's not healthy.

• Mentally, yes. Physically, no but people will anyway.

• It depends.

If Im comparing my art to others, its only healthy if im looking to see what they did bettter NOT if im looking for what i do worse.

• No, cause comparing yourself usually means to think either higher or lower of yourself compared to others. It depends though, it can sometimes be good to compare as long as you don't see it as a competition. For example I once compared my diet to a friend's, and then decided to make mine more healthy, and i consider that a good thing.

• No, I dont watch or compare myself to people because I dont know how hard or what they did to get where they are.

• It's only natural
    Bad: You got a C on the test and everyone around you got an A.
    Good: You got a C, but the class average was a D.

• No because we all are different and all have different levels and different circumstances. Being obese and looking at a body building comparing isn't helpful. You just need to look at yourself and say, "I want to be a better me". As someone with social anxiety, looking at outgoing people and saying I need to be more like them is pointless. I'll never be happy living like them. But I can tell myself k want to reach out more.

• Not if you are doing it in a critical rather than constructive way. Such as to see what you can do differently to improve oneself not to criticize or belittle youself with unrealistic goals or differing qualities. I think.

• for me i think dumb is a harsh word to use for some people because for example comparing yourself to the smartest kid in school so as to be like them (means being smart and befriending them ) is a MOTIVATION to get ahead not being dumb But there are some which are not health to compare just like our celebrities who does plastic surgeries to be beautiful or to look like someone they are not

• Eh within reason.
    Motivation to better yourself is always good.
    But in the past I have been obsessive about how I looked in comparison to others, and it only lead to trouble.

• it's not healthy and almost all of us know it, but all of us do it anyway

• Not really, no. I try not to do that.

• If your comparing yourself over something you can change (ie your fitness) then yes it. It can motivate you to do better.
    If your doing it about something you can't change (ie your family) then no. It'll just depress you.

• I don't compare myself with others. I'm happy in myself.

• Depends in what sense I'm comparing. Because its good to compare as a way to check if you're doing well in life. But not good to compare out of jealousy.

• Yes, I like to compare myself to people I admire... it's healthy because it makes me want to improve certain things about my life

• No, it isn't. I feel much worse when I compare myself to other people. I think it's a natural thing though.

• Nope, that's probably the worse thing you can do to yourself

• Kills my self-esteem every time.

• No because then I get really cocky.

• It motivates me to be better

• very healthy. If I didn't compare myself to sluts I would never know how lucky my future boyfriend is for having a pure untouched girl like me. Not to mention my looks.

• no. we r all uniquely equal

• More from Girls
    17