Does this kid have a terrible life?

Marshall is a 16 year old black boy who suffers from depression. He lives with his foster parents who act like he's a freak and he struggles to make friends in school. His mother hanged herself when Marshall was two years old and his father eventually did the same thing. Marshall gets bullied in school and acts happy and joyful but than goes home and sobs about it. Marshall spends a lot of time writing poems and fantasizes about being a writer or maybe a doctor. He's only happy when he's alone or thinking of the future. He stays hopeful for the future where he doesn't have to live with his foster parents anymore.

• Yes he does
    64%(9)74%(17)Vote89%(8)
  • No he doesn't
    36%(5)26%(6)Vote11%(1)
Hi

Most Helpful Guy

• yes he does but his hope keeps him alive and going, no matter what, his past is dark and haunting but as long as he is able to follow his dreams even with all that weight inside, i'd say all bad things make a good thing...

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• sounds like my kid except he has his parents just he has mental challenges so gets bullied a lot

• I'm sorry to hear that. Keep being his support and encourage him in his abilities. It helps a lot

• So far Nelson is 21 and trying to be a medical scientist:3

• I kicked mom to the curb. it is her fault our son is like this. I recently stopped her visits as she has been turning tricks while the kids were there.

• Fuck marshall

• Yeah...

What Girls Said 5

• I have an issue with your writing first and foremost an African American person is not going to hang themselves let's be real 1000 ways to die hanging isn't the one we would pick from it being to painful to it being a fuck you to our family and roots ODing shooting cutting sure but hanging.. No especially twice in a row secondly I have issues that when ever you're writing you don't say white but make it a point to say black woman black man black boy when their race is irrelevant to the story you're literally mentioning nothing about their looks by their race which is irrelevant but out the way no his life isn't awful he sounds like the average awkward teen

• I think you need to give a gray area for your answers because Marshall's life isn't bad nor isn't good. It could be better but far from terrible.

• Its bad but there are way worse things out there that could happen to a kid. Starvation, rape, emotional or physical abuse etc...

• Yes.

• I'd have to ask Marshall. The only way we have terrible lives is if we lay down and accept them as terrible. Having lived in the Philippines for a time and seeing homeless people and terribly poor people still give genuine smiles and see the world in a positive light, it testified to me that we are in complete control over our happiness. As someone with depression, was abandoned by not one but three sets of families, and was abused, I can say it's possible.