If your boyfriend had Hep C, would he still be your boyfriend?

I have hep c and I don't want to tell my girlfriend about it because I am afraid she will leave me I lost my job over it and I don't want to lose... Show More

thank you all for the info but its to late she left guess she didn't love me as much as I loved her I told her I just found out about it and answered all her question the best I could so thanks for the the support

Most Helpful Opinion

• I think ethically, you need to tell your girlfriend.

If my boyfriend told me he had hep C, my first thought wouldn't be to leave him, but I would be scared and I would have a lot of questions. The average person probably doesn't know a lot about hep C, so it makes sense to panic. Be prepared to answer your girlfriend's questions.

What is hep C?

What are the symptoms?

Will you get better? (something like 15-30% of people with hep C will clear it from their body, but the rest will develop chronic hep C)

How did you get it (the answer to this is probably the thing that will most likely affect whether your girlfriend stays or leaves; can you think of how you may have gotten it? Are you a health professional who was exposed to it? Did you share needles with someone or have unprotected sex with someone who may have had it?---This is the main reason I would leave my boyfriend; not because he has hep C, but if he was using drugs or having sex with someone else without my knowledge while we were in a relationship.

Is there a chance I could have it? Do I need to get tested?

What do we need to do to protect me from contracting it? (i.e. not sharing personal items that may have come into contact with blood, such as razors or toothbrushes; using a condom)

Being able to answer her questions is likely going to be the best thing you can do to help her be understanding and decrease her fears.