Why do certain religions "allow" men to beat their wives?

Not a troll question.

I'm doing a research paper for my sociology class. My professor gave us topics, one topic that caught my eye in particular were certain religions, specifically Muslim, are ALLOWED to beat their wives. I mean literally, with a rod, as a form of discipline.

I was absolutely baffled by this. I figured the topic would be interesting, but sheesh -_- its pretty freakin hard to swallow that people would beat their own wives into colts for silly things like not having the house cleaned, and not having intercourse with him, when he's in the mood.

I wanna see how you people feel about this...Is this really true, some type of conspiracy?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Generally, (and this goes for most religious texts not just Muslim text-- so I will be generalizing) women are made to be the weaker person and they were made to be kept that way. Before governments and religions were founded, men ruled women. In several religions, women are basically the equivalent of cattle.

The logic that made the practice of female subjection continue into the scriptures was the mere thought that although women play a certain role in a mans life, they are not as capable as men in establishing or creating their own lives.

Of course, capability back then meant the ability to impose force on a person/group, which is something the average woman couldn't do because of our physical differences. In other words, force is a means of control to ensure that they are serving you. Is your dog acting up? Hit him and put him on a leash until he obeys. Is the bordering country bothering you? Pillage their village, take their wives and rape them.

Today, parts of every scripture are becoming less and less relevant. Islam, specifically, does have empowering stories about women who were not subjected, about women who did great things. But this is all open to interpretation.

Many people (especially in the western hemisphere) are learning that women are people, too. I know, what a shock :P Several do not believe that those parts of scripture were made to be taken into practice.

In other words, women were commodities but are becoming less so.

• but they exist :p

• Haha, but they're such sad, faraway places

• I was also considering Africa and places of the middle east where women are not always considered people. It's mostly the West or far east (industrialized societies) that sees that women are people :P

• Show Older

What Guys Said 10

• Islam allows the husbands to beat their wives . It is allowed only when the wife becomes uncontrolled. Quran says that when your wife becomes uncontrolled first don't talk her .if she is not coming on the right path then do not share bed with her ,if it also does not work then beat her.Don't beat on her face. Beat in such a way that no marks are left behind.

• thats a pretty absurd myth lol

It's listed a as a limitation so let's say your wife cheats on you, the most you can do is tap her with a tooth brush or something as harmless, not a rod. Granted, some uneducated Muslims may very well beat their wives but so are uneducated fundamentalist Christians who are Allowed to beat their wife if they talked in church lol

• Without doubt* all this is done by believers of the religion(s) you have in mind, following the teachings they get from their religious authorities and scriptures:

# Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.

# Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.

# Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women-

more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.

# Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.

# Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a break up.

# Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.

# Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.

# Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8 million days of paid work per year in the US alone-

the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.

# Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.

# The costs of intimate partner violence in the US alone exceed $5.8 billion per year: $4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly $1.8 billion.

# Men who as children witnessed their parents' domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.

*Or would you doubt about some of those?

Source: link

• Treatment of women (and other human beings ! !) is a big problem in religions, indeed:

link

link

link

Read what the Lord commands Moses to do : link

Hinduism knows religious prostitution: link

• Luke 16-17 link

16“The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

17“But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail.

• Matthew 5:17-19 link

• 17“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18“For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

19“Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

• Show Older
  • It's Islam who allows to men to beat their wives because Muslims think that women are inferior to men who should be beaten into submission and to provide sex whenever the man wants it!

The same about Christianity, they believe that women are inferior to men, although not that extreme, why women can't be priests or other such authority figure? Why all of Jesus 12 followers were men? Why he wasn't married anyway? Why GOD is MALE? It's a GOD I tell ya! But he's clearly male, as described as "Lord" not "Lady" and so on...

About Islam it's even more extreme than a rod, Muslims are allowed to beat the crap out of their wives in any ways you can imagine, in some countries they can even -throw their wives out though the window from the 3th floor- and face -no consequences- or whatsoever of such actions! They can "accidentally" kill them and that's OK, they still got some wives left anyway!

And the answer is simple - religion is primitive. The times when religion reigned over the world were ancient, hundreds to thousands of years ago and people during those times were primitive!

Yes, even today you"ll find religion-infested countries and loads of outwardly civilized places with primitive people like wife-beaters, but I tell you such animals are a dying breed - today women's rights are skyrocketing so unless you got personal issues about someone who's like we described, you shouldn't really care too much! Accept that some people suck!

• In short, the religion does not. However the culture associated with it does. It's really no different than how Catholocism has tacked on its own extra rules and guidelines in addition to what is written in the bible.

• concerning Islam: link

• Pertaining to Islam of course.

• No, its true. In Islamic countries, its not... I mean, its not common practice in every part of the middle east, but it happens. There is a reason, though. See... Islam is an OLD ASS religion. I don't know if it pre-dates Christianity or what, but it definitely pre-dates the fall of Rome. That means its coming out of the ancient world.

You SEEN the ancient world?

While in some areas, they were very far ahead, they still hadn't really left their barbarian roots, and so life was like, f***ing... MENTAL. Mesapotamia was the only ancient civilisation that actually considered women as people as far as legal matters went - bar the Vikings, who had no legal matters to speak of - and Mesapotamia was weened out fairly EARLY anyway. I don't know why, but it was like that since the ice age and it took us a good few millenia to get hip to the fact that girls actually mattered and we probably shouldn't be hitting them around.

And on top of that, the conventional islam takes itself entirely from two camps; books and scriptures written at that time, and books and scriptures written to re-interporate books and scriptures written at that time. So, its ethical anchor is gonna be firmly stuck in the ethical proceedings of that time, a time where it was perfectly well considered for you to beat your wife, etc. So they seem rather in extreme in Modern thought.

But some countries have advanced to a more modern idiom socially, so you combine the new society with the old religion and not everyone thinks they should discipline their lover. I don't know how common it is and in which countries, but I know there's a sort of spectrum of difference over there. Often its not as BARBARIC as you imagine, but it can be fairly barbaric.

It's a lot like the wests predisposition to christianity. I mean, you look at the Ten Commandments, it says Thou shalt not - now, first of all, I haven't heard anyone say 'thou shalt not' for a very long time. But, it goes; Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ox.

And like... My neighbour doesn't have an Ox. Like, really. And, I bet there's some wee raghead in the middle east sitting having a wee look at the ten commandments going "They still keep Oxen over there? Those BARBARIANS"

• Why 'HUH?', I was out by what, a few centuries. Civilisations don't advance in such large steps in the span of 250 (rounding up) years, and anyway, the point was already made and I admitted I was incorrect.

And while Arab countries were before Eurpean countries, I'll grant you, it's still a fairly barbaric time of human history - as sophisticated as they may have been relatively, my points still stand when compared to the modern sensation.

• "it wasn't too civilised?" Arab countries were far before European countries until the end of the Middle Age.

• " Islam is an OLD ASS religion. I don't know if it pre-dates Christianity or what, but it definitely pre-dates the fall of Rome. That means its coming out of the ancient world."

HUH? Rome fell in 376 (Romulus Augustus) . Islam started with the Hijra (622AD) , taking over most elements from Christianism, Judaism and a few from a pagan Arab Moon cult. Only the Greek kept Byzance (Constantinopel) as a remnant , using the name 'Eastern Roman Empire' until 1453, but at war with Europe.

• Show Older
  • Religion is about control, and so is physical punishment.

• 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

1Tim 2 11 link

• Islam does. Allows him to kill her if she dishonors him such as being involuntarily raped.

• They don't beat them for not having the house cleaned or not having sex.

Also, it's not all Muslims that believe in this.

Look, if you go into the fringe elements of any religion, you'll find weird and distasteful beliefs. Does the Westboro Baptist church represent Christianity?

Did David Koresh?

What about the Klu Klux Klan? They call themselves Christians.

Do all Jewish moyles pracice the metzitzah b'peh and suck blood from the newborns penis? No, of course they do not. But you can find a rare few who do practice it.

I'm not having a go at Christians or Jews here. I'm just making the point. Permissive beating of the wife is an extreme belief, but a belief none-the-less.

Take a look at this question and it's best answer, for more info.

link

• It is thus believed that it is not Islam as a religion, but Islamic culture, and the prominent and long-standing view that women are considered property, as the sources of for honour killings.

• As noted by Tahira Shaid Khan, a professor of women’s issues in Pakistan, within the Qur'an there is no mentioning of anything that allows for or justifies honor killings. The first and most basic right in the Qur'an that every Muslim is expected to follow is, in fact, the right to life. As written in the Qur'an,

That if anyone slays a human being unless it be for murder or for spreading corruption on earth it shall be as though he had slain all mankind;

What Girls Said 1

• Well there are rules in Islam about beating your wife but my culture doesn't believe in that. It's mostly arab culture's that do. You also can't beat your wife for things like cleaning the house and not having sex with him. In the Quran it says that if your wife disobey's you that you first talk to her nicely about it. Second you don't sleep in the same room as her. Third, you separate living from her. The fourth is striking her but it can't leave any marks on her. I know it sounds ridiculous but Islam does teach a lot about respecting woman believe it or not. You just have to study the religion on your own and not listen to what other people say. There are thing's that p*ss me off about my religion but there are also thing's that I love about it. I don't believe in hitting period and if my husband did that then his ass would be in jail. The Persian culture is very different. I will tell you that very religious Muslim men would never lay and hand on their wives. Our sheik in our Mosque married an American woman that converted to Islam and I have talked to her many time's. The only Muslim guy's that hit their wive's are one's that don't follow their religion the right way and that only use Islam to their own advantage. There are many Muslim men that are Muslim by name.