I want to go to a birthday party tonight but I know boyfriend won't be happy if I go what do I do?

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over a year and I care about him do much but since we got together I feel like I've lost touch with a lot of my old friends. A lot of my old fiends are going to a friends birthday party tonight so I really would like to go but Because there will... Show More

Thanks everyone I ended up not going but if I had I wouldn't have drank. I am gonna set up a lunch date with some old friends instead of catching up with them at a party.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes there needs to be give and take in a relationship. Sometimes it might be better to not do something just because the other person doesn't want you to. But this seems like something you really want to do. You should not be expected to drop all your old friends because of your boyfriend.

Does he really not like drinking? Or is that just an excuse? If he really doesn't like drinking maybe try explaining to him that it's important to you. Then make a compromise and promise not to drink yourself. Then stick to your promise.

I lived with an alcoholic for years, so I understand how some people can really be against drinking. But I think he's being a little unreasonable here. You just have to weigh how important this is to you and much it will hurt the relationship if you do it against his wishes. He can't control you. But sometimes you just have to make compromises to make the relationship work. You should never have to drop your old friends, but this one party is not your only chance to spend time with them. Compromise at times, but don't let it become one-sided.

• To make it more clear. He doesn't own you. You can make your own choices. What I mean is that when you make those choices you need to look at all sides. In the end you need to make your own choice.