Are there Christians who admire secularism and "separation of church and state"?

It seems to me that whatever religion becomes a majority it tries to push it's views on the rest of the country through government. Do you think this... Show More

Yeah I always tell myself that it's just the fundamentalist minority that doesn't want the government infringing on their rights while maintaining the position that American government should have a Christian worldview and influence the people as such. I think that's kind of hypocritical.. It should be a neutral space so nobody has their rights infringed.

Most Helpful Opinion

• Having grown up in a country where state and church were one, its something that touches a nerve. The church ran this country for a long time. If you disagreed with a priest, you're life was over. Every school was run by the church, every child taught catechism, which you dared not question it or you were beaten. The Magdalene Sisters, the Christian Brothers were for many institutions of torture. Birth control was illegal as was homosexuality. The church was the state. It is only now we are starting to emerge from under the claws of the church but we still have a long way to go. It can still be very difficult to get a place in a school if your child is not baptized, even if the parents have no belief system or haven't seen the inside of a church since they were kids.The church still believes it can have a say in our laws and tries to influence politicians. It is never a good idea to mix religion and law. If someone wants to have their beliefs then let them but it doesn't mean that just because something goes against church law it should be illegal for all citizens.

• Wow I didn't know all of this. Thanks for teaching me something new. I agree for the same reason.. Government should be a neutral space so nobody has their rights infringed.

• Show Older
    • Did IE change much in the last decades?

• @jacquesvol. Yes it has changed in the sense unmarried mothers are no longer locked away, treated as slaves and their child sold by the church. Contraception is no longer illegal nor is being gay. You can now live with your partner without being shamed from the pulpit every week. But 4/5,000 women still have to travel to the UK for abortions as its illegal here. They did change the law with regard to a woman's life being in danger through pregnancy but you still have to jump through hoops.