Catholics, why do you say that salvation needs works?

How can you say that you need works to keep your salvation through works? when you have verses like Ephesians 2: 8-9? And even in Galatians 2:21, it said "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" If we need to follow the laws and works for it, then there's no reason Christ needed to die.

Or with Isaiah 64:6 "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."

I know you may quote James 2:24 and other verses that talk

about works like "faith without works is dead". The problem with that is that James was talking to believers that were not acting like Christians. It makes sense that if you claim to be a christian but your works or actions don't show it, then it's pointless and will not be able to reach out to others BUT it has NOTHING to do with salvation. and on top of that, it said that salvation is a FREE GIFT from God. how is it a FREE gift if you still need to WORK to keep it? you still need to work to represent God and show that you are a true Christian but it NOT required for salvation and forgiveness.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not Catholic, though I am a Christian. I think that all you need to do to gain salvation is to belive in and love Jesus, and ask him forgiveness for your sins. That being said, doing good in this world is certainly a good idea, it can't hurt to do good for others. Not only that, but wouldn't it be best to err on the side of caution, and do works just in case faith isn't enough?

• yeah of course you should do good works. good works represents your faith. how can you say that you're a christian if you don't have good works? but you don't need it for your SALVATION.