Catholics, why do you say that salvation needs works?

How can you say that you need works to keep your salvation through works? when you have verses like Ephesians 2: 8-9? And even in Galatians 2:21, it said "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" If we need to follow the laws and works for it, then there's no reason Christ needed to die.Or with Isaiah 64:6 "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."I know you may quote James 2:24 and other verses that talk about works like "faith without works is dead". The problem with that is that James was talking to believers that were not acting like Christians. It makes sense that if you claim to be a christian but your works or actions don't show it, then it's pointless and will not be able to reach out to others BUT it has NOTHING to do with salvation. and on top of that, it said that salvation is a FREE GIFT from God. how is it a FREE gift if you still need to WORK to keep it? you still need to work to represent God and show that you are a true Christian but it NOT required for salvation and forgiveness.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I'm not Catholic, though I am a Christian. I think that all you need to do to gain salvation is to belive in and love Jesus, and ask him forgiveness for your sins. That being said, doing good in this world is certainly a good idea, it can't hurt to do good for others. Not only that, but wouldn't it be best to err on the side of caution, and do works just in case faith isn't enough?

• yeah of course you should do good works. good works represents your faith. how can you say that you're a christian if you don't have good works? but you don't need it for your SALVATION.

What Girls Said 2

• Good works cannot save you by themselves. A person that doesn't follow God can do good works, it doesn't mean they're saved. All in all, a person should want to do good regardless, but it doesn't equal salvation.

• exactly!

• All of it is really outdated

What Guys Said 3

• I'm not a Christian, but I'd like to point out that not all Christians believe salvation requires good works.The European Reformation largely centred around this issue: Martin Luther argued that 'faith alone' was enough to secure salvation.He said the Bible instructed people to "change your mind" whereas the Pope and the Catholics translated it as "do penance".You can see why it might vary greatly from Christian to Christian

• i know. I'm not talking about non-denominational christianity or protestant. I'm talking about Catholics. they believe in works. and I don't really care about what Martin Luther or any other person says about whether you need works or not. The bible EXPLICITLY says you DON'T need works for salvation.

• Catholics do not hold every single word of the Bible as inerrently errorless and true.That's a Protestant thing. Quoting the Bible as if it's the ultimate source of truth is completely meaningless to a Catholic.

• Its mostly outdated rituals and tradition rather than what the scripture actually says.Just like going to confession and all that.

• I agree. we don't even need priests anymore. Jesus is the ULTIMATE priest. I don't need to confess my sins to a man. I confess my sins to God.

• Its also how they maintain control over the masses. Just like the church has for centuries.