Do you believe a dog's life is equal to a human life?

I was reading this study today about how 40% of people [in the US I think] would rather save their dog than a foreigner if a bus was about to hit both.

link

I've sort of noticed this trend on the internet where people will go nuts when they see a dog being abused, even slightly...but I don't often see the same sort of thing for humans. I was watching a VICE documentary a week ago about the taliban, and in the video there was a severed head of some guy who got blown up. The comments section was filled with people so nonchalant about it, as if they see it everyday. Then I remembered the following video where a U.S. soldier is teasing some puppy (doesn't even touch it mind you) and the commenters go nuts

link

I just noticed that in general, the internet has this love affair for dogs and cute creatures, sometimes forgetting that there are humans out there in worse shape. Look, I own a dog myself, and I love my dog. But there is noooooooo way I would save my dog's life over a human. I wouldn't even have to think about it. It has nothing to do with being politically correct or anything like that either. I just don't rank human lives below or even equal to a dog.

My belief is that all animals should be respected and not abused, but the bulk of my resources/efforts will always be for humans. If I thought a dog's life were equal to that of a humans, I would have to hesitate before making a choice of whether to save the human or the dog in the scenario described above. But that thought process doesn't even happen for me. Saving the human first seems like a no brainer. I'm curious though to hear everyone else's thoughts.

• I believe a dog's life is equal to a human life
  • I believe a dog's life is less important than a humans (NOTE: this does not mean you endorse animal cruelty in any way, shape or form)
wow...a 50/50 split. Come on guys...really? xD

Most Helpful Guy

• I strongly believe that all animals should be protected to the fullest extent of the law. It's often said that around 99% of all life that has ever existed on Earth has gone extinct. We humans are the blight of our age when it comes to natural habitats and things like that. We need to learn to live alongside nature instead of destroying it. This is large scale I'm talking about though.

If it came between having the opportunity to save a human or a dog from getting killed I would save the human every time regardless if s/he is foreign or not. I can empathize more with a human being considering I am one. I know they and their loved ones can feel pain just like I do and will feel that pain for a very long time if they lost someone special to them. A dog's life is precious to a family too but we all expect from the day we get a pet that it won't outlive us. We know that it will die after like 6-15 years depending on the breed of dog or cat. We steel ourselves against that moment. With human beings we act like our loved ones are immortal because the thought of losing them is just too great so if something tragic and unexpected does happen it is almost unbearable. I would never want to see another family go through that so that's why I would save the human every time.

• Having said that I think humans have a pretty sick view of life and death even just considering the deaths of humans. We ignore the deaths from gang violence/death and other things that we consider to be "expected". A politician or someone famous gets shot or kills themselves and the whole country is up in arms in an uproar. We tend to think the prevention and safety of certain humans takes precedence over others which I think is morally twisted and sick.

What Girls Said 21

• No. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my dogs but humans are more important than animals. I believe animals should be treated with respect and kindness but if it comes down to saving an animal's life or a human being, I'm going to save the human first.

I don't care how bad someone treats me, they're life is still more important than an animal. I'm not saying aninals aren't important because they definitely are. I just think human beings lives trump that of an animal. Just my opinion.

• yeah my thoughts mirror yours here

• Whaa? Man whatever que densen los dos juntos ma vale verga son de la misma calana! Chusma! I'm out of here

• Lol :)

• The life of a dog is less important than a human's life, but I'd still tempted to save the dog because dogs are wonderful creatures full of unconditional love and forgiveness. It would hurt me to let a being of such goodness die.

If I had to choose, though, I would save a human. It would be a very difficult decision.

• The belief that one life is less important than another is the root of all evil in this world

• I'm torn. If it was some random human and my own dog, I think I'd save my dog. I'm sorry, but I see her as a little sister. She's not just a pet, she's family. I know it might be a crazy comparison to some, but wouldn't you rather save your own family instead of a stranger?

Then again, I think this is a decision none of us can truly make unless we're put in that exact situation. Sure, we can all talk about what we think we would do, but none of us really know how we would react in a situation like that. It's easier said than done.

• A dog's life is equal to any life human included but I'd probably still save the human, though, I kinda like animals more than I like people :P

• i think all animals should be treated equally,including humans. I think we're more affected by dogs because so many of us have experienced being loved unconditionally-by a dog. they're like babies-they're cute,they depend on us,they love unconditionally,and they can't communicate things that would make us hate them. it depends on your experience with dogs.

More from Girls
16

What Guys Said 17

• -> A human life is worth more than a dog's life.

-> There are some humans I'd probably not save over the average dog, but they are exceptions.

-> While in theory 'a human life' is worth much more than 'a dog', it is hard to save a human you don't know over a dog you've known and loved for years. I'm not surprised 40% of people would save their dog over a random person, I rather suspect that number would plummet if you asked about a random dog over a random person.

• A dog? So. Why a dog?

And a mouse, A rat? A chicken? A mole? A wasp? A spider with hairy legs? A fly? A mosquito? A cockroach?

• I chose a dog because the study chose a dog. I just wanted to see if the results here would be similar

• I bet that if another species was named in the poll the results would be vastly different. But then, in Europe we eat horses , in China dogs, in some parts of Europe peasants will shoot a rat and cook it. In Africa you can buy grashoppers to eat.

We once had an American guest (16 yo boy) When he did see a butcher's shop with a plaster horse head above the entrance, he made us promise never to serve him horse steak. :) A bit like a Muslim reacting to pork. Of course we could have fooled him.

• I voted B (as politically incorrect it may be).

Human life is more important, not saying a dog's life isn't, but cmon now!

• I agree, I never truly owned a dog when growing up but in the recent years, my best friend had a dog who was really friendly to me every time I was there. He would jump on me in the morning when I slept over and lick me, I would play with him most of the time when I was there and fall asleep with him in my lap.

Even after all these new experiences, I would still value both lives as important and try to save the human in the situation you listed as an example. I would try to save both but if not both then the human.

A dog might show love but a human could do the same thing and bring more help to the world in the future.

• It really depends on the specific human and the specific dog that were in question of needing to be saved. If a dog is vicious and is more likely to harm/kill others and the human is an innocent person, then I'd save the human. If the human was a convicted felon, and the felony that they were convicted with was something extreme such as rape or murder and the dog was a happy go-lucky dog then I'd save the dog without a moment's hesitation.

More from Guys
12