Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of Valentine's Day or the idea of romantic type of love in general?

I've never really liked Valentine's Day or romantic type of love because Valentine's Day is nothing but a day for business to make more money and love well it's horrible and fake and what's the point of it I don't think anyone needs it we'd all be happy without it! Besides most people just want hookups and stuff. Try it out! For me I've always been single and happy

Most Helpful Guy

• Valentine's Day has been turned into a business, but its roots are not, similar to Christmas and Halloween. It is a reminder of why you are with that special someone, but, yes, it's not supposed to be the grand day of the year that you blow your entire year's worth of attention and bankroll. With regards to your lacking interest in romantic love, I do disagree with you, but respect your dislike of romantic love. I found myself incomplete without romantic love, but not necessarily requiring it-it just enhances my life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't have any problem with it when it was first invented it wasn't used to make money but business people now a days will use any holiday to make money mother's day, father's day and Christmas but there is nothing wrong with acknowledging a day of love once a year.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 29

• I like it -- well, I tend to like it when I'm in a relationship at least. It is, as you observe, mostly just materialistic kind of bullshit for businesses to profit. But so is Christmas and Halloween, and I still enjoy those.

I like having some days like this during the year to kind of break up the routine and monotony.

The way to counter the materialistic nature of these holidays, for me, is to go economical and focus more on meaningful gestures than expensive gifts. These holidays do suck if you have a materialistic type of partner who will want you to empty your entire wallet over the event.

• I agree with half your statement. V day is bullshit. I won't celebrate it. But I certainly believe in love, even with an unwanted divorce. I am sure I will find it again at some point. There are many parts of being single that are nice. But overall, it doesn't come close to being married and having that other half of you there.

• You are far from alone on either of those. As for me... I love romance, though I know it's not for everyone. And Valentine's Day... I view it as a nice day to show love and that's it. If you are in love with someone, you should really be doing that every day anyways. And it is over commercialized but it's still a nice day for people in love. Mothers get a day and fathers get a day and well it seems like just about everything gets a day, so why not couples? It's just a personal preference to like or dislike it though.

• No, you are not the only one. You sound like a very sensible young woman, who knows that a partnership is not made of expensive gifts.

• I'm totally against romance. They should invent a holiday similar to "The Purge". But instead of "killing" it should be replaced with "fucking". They should call it "Fuck Day". And who ever's not fast enough to escape gets it. Better yet we'll call it, "End All Relationships Day and Let's Just All Become Fucking Robots".

• I do know some other fun things to do on valentines day, make a pit stop at your nearest strip club and watch lonely old men bring in candy and flowers to the dancers. And Valentines day is the time of year a large portion of girls don't wanna be alone so you can have a lot of fun that night

• Valentine's Day I don't really make a big deal out of but I do like and fully appreciate the idea of romance.

• i think many are probably without in not liking valentines day... i imagine far fewer people agree about romantic relationships.

why do you feel they are fake? experience?

• I've never had one before since guys only wanna hookup and nitnjng more

• gotcha. i don't subcribe to the commercialism of Valentine's day, like i don't buy my wife gifts. but we usually do something special for each other, like write a note or something like that

• I agree with the statements one of my colleagues made "You shouldn't spend more time with your crush on valentines day. You should show them you love them every day".

• I think you would like it if you shared it with someone.

Just enjoy the day. Love yourself. Eat some chocolate.

• lol ehh I'll prob always spend it alone tbh I'll prob be single forever becsuse guys now a days only want hookups but yup eating chocolate deff sounds like a good idea!

• I agree that Valentines day is an arbitrary day, but I like the idea of love. I don't do hookups.

• I don't do hookups either but wow you're rare, I've never even been in a relationship before becsjxs all guys here seem to only want hookups with me

• Most guys wanted to only hook up when I was 19 too from what I heard back then lol. You'll find someone I'm sure though. I think as guy get older, we tend to want monogamy more. Also, a lot of the guys that would like a relationship, probably aren't nearly as focal as the guys talking to you if that makes sense.

• I'm fine with a bit of romance, but it doesn't have to be on valentines day

• Real romance is spontaneous, personal, mutual and voluntary and Valentines day is none of those things generally.

• Uh, no. Just no.
    And no, pretty much nobody wants 'just hookups and stuff'. Seriously, you keep doing this and it will become so un-special that no one will want you. And if you wait another ten years to find someone special you will find it gets more and more difficult, and you'll have to start competing with women your age now. Just look around here - there are some very desperate 30-somethings that can't find a decent guy cuz all the good ones are already taken.

I know... hindsight is 20-20, right? [shrug]

• When I was a kid and nobody dated it was fun. As an adult, and currently single, the pressure feeling alone makes it the worst day of the year. Emphasis on couples is at its highest Feb 14

• Yes, not fan of Valentines day here , no girlfriend, no wife so why enjoy it
    is the way i see things.

• Real love, when you find it, is worth the struggle.

• I like the idea of showing how much you love someone, but like all holidays, Valentine's Day has just gotten too commercialized. It's like the original meaning is lost.

• All Valentines Day means to me is I'm another year older 2 days later , it's commercial BS !!

• Thank you. Love is bullshit at its finest. The stupidest thing people ever made up

• Yes it is!!! It is the stupidest thing people ever made like it shouldn't even exist 😂

• I don't really like Valentine's Day either as it's really just another marketing scheme. However, I do like romantic love and I'll always honor and support my girlfriend.

• You should've started with the last sentence. You're not the only one, but you're wrong.

• I like Valentine's Day because it's so fun to look at all the single girls that don't have anyone giving them flowers or whatever. It's that one day where you'll see girls genuinely sad.

• Lol i know for a fact I'm not sad! Why would other girls be sad for not getting flowers and stuff? Unless you're really emotional and stuff I don't know I just can't see how that's something to be sad about

• @Xleah17x I'm just saying most girls have friends and their friends might be showing off that their boyfriends gave them flowers or something and then the single girls get said.

• You sound like another bitter feminist slapper

• How, where did you even get feminist from lmao

• You're not a Christian. And stay single. Who cares?

• @Xleah17x I wouldn't give a fuck about being single forever. I'd just do hookups.

• lol sad...

• let me guess, youve been hurt in the past or grew up with never getting asked out and youve felt lonley for a long time and now youve embraced the comforting darkness of solitude that ecompasses you to see distainment for romance in general?

• Can you say what you think is fake about romantic love? I disagree but I'm genuinely curious to hear your side.

• It's just that guys seem to only want hookups

• Because that's completely different to thinking it's fake. There are a few people who genuinely think love/romance is delusion and I thought thats what you meant lol

• You seem to have better things to do than replying to me. Spending time with your boyfriend, I take it?

• there is a lot of reasons to dislike valentines day , your not alone on that one but not sure if there is that much of a dislike towards romance in general.
    many people dislike valentines day due to its commercialization and heavy pressure placed on people to buy expensive items and dates

• I hate because it makes feel like shit for not having anyone and it's so commercialized

What Girls Said 22

• i've never cared for v-day: it's too close to my birthday, and i often got v-day themed gifts, so.

(yes, i did get dumped on it once, as a teen. but that never really mattered, since i already disliked it.)

too many people use the day to shower their s/os with gifts, thinking that it will make up for the fact that they've been a shite partner for the other 364 days of the year. that said, v-day was always a family event for us:

-my mom would cook a beautiful dinner for everyone, and my sister baked heart-shaped cakes with pink frosting.

-the table was decorated in red, white, and pink, with cards and little gifts beside everyone's place (from mom, of course).

-my dad used the day as an excuse to spoil my mom even more than usual~ he'd give her a massive bouquet of red roses and a box of chocolates (of course, my sisters and i each received a single long-stemmed rose and a tiny box of chocolate from him too).

so, while i don't love the day itself, i love the memories my family has made. oh, and cinnamon hearts make life worth living!

• I hate Valentines Day! You shouldn't show the person you love one day of love! Lol my fiance and i dont celebrate it

• I agree, I never really celebrated Valentines Day. But it would be nice for a guy to pamper and do things for me on that day. Im usually the one initiating the plans like most females.

• I only celebrate it with my friends, we all l wear red and buy lots of candies and chocolates and eat it at lunch

• It's just another Hallmark holiday. Never really cared much for it. I usually make myself a nice dinner and dress up, but I don't even think I'm doing that this year. And I used to like romance and all that good stuff but it's all just a bunch of bullshit. People are full of shit and love is just a word that gets thrown around when it's beneficial.

• Valentine's Day just makes me miserable. Last time I had a valentine was 2006 😢 Yeah it's all commercialised shit but I wanna be part of it. I don't know why

• I'd agree with the valentine stuff (it's a moneymaking holiday and is pretty tacking to be honest), but I dont agree with your idea of love...
    Not all people want hookups, many date because they want someone around that makes them happy. Some relationships are a little fake, but most are strong relationships that last because two people are committed... After all, humans are social creatures so not everyone wants to be alone and single

• It's just that I've never been in a relationship before becsjxs most guys only wanna hookup with me and I do tell them no

• I enjoy being in a relationship, although a long distance one, it makes me happy and feel like I have someone who's there for me...
      Being single is good too, it gives you your freedom, my best friend loves it... Basically be happy which ever

• I'm not really a fan of romance but I love the story behind Valentine's day and I try to show some love on that day. Hug a few people, give a few people some really cheap candy and generally just be happy. I think if I had an SO we would celebrate it but not in that outlandish way but in the same way you celebrate any really nice day... by being happy.

This year I'm thinking of making handmade cards for all my classmates... that should make up for at least some of my grumpy behaviour.

• I don't care for Valentines day that much but I do enjoy buying myself chocolates and wine... and maybe flowers.

• I'm jaded about romance because of my experiences, but I also feel like I was married, had my chance, and I'm too old to start over. At least that's the way it feels. But you're young!

If you have someone in your life that you generally genuinely want to express affection for, Valentine's Day is a great chance to show it. If you don't, no big deal.

I actually like to buy myself flowers and chocolate, and celebrate the fact that I'm an awesome person.

A few years ago, when my son was not a teenager and liked me better than he does now, I took him to the circus on Valentine's Day, we went out to eat, and had a wonderful time. His babysitter took him shopping and he got me a teddy bear I still have on my shelf. It was great.

Every year I toy with the idea of sending myself flowers at the office on Valentine's Day, but I never do because it's so expensive. I just think it would be awesome for everyone to see them arrive and wonder who it is. I would put "From a secret admirer" on the card. ;)

I also like to send friendship cards to my good friends, to let them know that I'm thinking about them on Valentine's Day. It doesn't just have to be about romantic love. It's a great chance to let your friends know how much you appreciate them. Or your parents! Or siblings!

• I used to be indifferent towards valentines but now that I'm dating, I'm kind of unsetteled of the thought that my boyfriend will recieve a lot of chocolates and confessions from girls. He lives in japan and he's got his fair share of admirers and crazy sicko stalkers. Valentines day in japan is like a battlefield, seriously.

• To be honest I hate Valentine's day. Any time I've been dating someone over Valentine's day I have always told them I don't celebrate it because it's retarded and they've respected that. If you're dating someone you should show them love all the time it doesn't have to be in the form of gifts and going out like Valentine's day entails but still.

• you clearely have issues. romance in its very cheesy form is not normal but you are at the other extreme. you sound relationshipophobic and unemotional. damaged goods.

• Damaged goods? All because you question the concept of love a romance doesn't mean your damaged goods.
      You're just not a sheep

• @Scooby225 you can't have no romance dude. its the first step to love. if someone is not romantic at all, my psychopath detecting alarm goes off.

• I'm absolutely with you there Xleah17x. I have no attraction to either sex but hanging out is still fun. Valentines Day is just another day. Nothing wrong with being asexual but still hanging out with guys or hooking up. I'm single and happy

• It's so commercial

• Yes!

• No. Never celebrated. I find it stupid.

• No you're not the only one who feels this way. in my opinion it's a shame.

• Well I like Valentines but it is depressing when you see other people with the boyfriend and stuff and you are forever alone.

• No, there are a lots of people who are not into Valentine's day. Most believe that it's it's very absurd to show love only on that day when you should be showing everyday.

• i don't like it either

• Glad you're happy without being in love. But I'm very happy in love! You sound a little bitter, but you're still 19 and have yet to experience more of what life has to offer. Valentine's day is pretty pointless but so is Christmas and a lot of other holidays. But It's just a worldwide public celebration of love. No one has to participate in it.