Valentine's Day is something I NEVER understood. Why is almost everyone obsessed about it?

Interesting answers yet. To the user who said that it's because I'm single and I never understood this and two other girls who liked his comment : y'all are ridiculous and pretty dumb.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a Halmark holiday to guilt trip generally men that love can be bought.

• Valentine Day is a money making business. You have to put that on the side and focus on the true meaning of Valentine Day.

• @colbylane_

I showing off in what my parents, church, and friends taught me as I was growing up.

Testosterone has nothing to do with loving others.

• @Robin48
      Love is a great thing that everyone deserves to have, but Valentines Day is just a big money maker for jewelry stores. It's mainly for women and that is very clear by advertisements.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a bragging holiday in my opinion. Valentine's Day is one of the most speculated days to shower your girlfriend/boyfriend/S. O. in gifts and sappy gestures one wouldn't normally do. And because it's just a big day that everyone raves about, it pressures others to go and find a special someone just for that day so they don't feel lonely. It almost feels like all eyes are on you (for taken people) since you just HAVE to do something nice for your S. O. or else you're a dickhead who doesn't care about them. Now with social media involved and most likely everyone posting about their gifts and happiness around that time, that adds a bit of competition level between couples. All-in-all, it somewhat is lacking in the true meaning of love during that day. I agree with you when you say: "I don't understand why everyone is obsessed about it." People who are too wild over it need to relax and realize it's just another day.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 30

• Valentines day is a day from the gods above... a magical day where love conquers all. If you are not celebrating this day there is something really wrong with you and your capability to LOVE.

Now the real answer: Retail created this day to sell more shit. Period.

• Women love it because it is another day, where they can manipulate
    men into spending money on them and make him feel like shit if he does not do some grand gesture to show he is under their control.

It is a day where the women with a boyfriend/girlfriend, get to rub it in the faces of their unattached friends. A day that they compare how much money, was spent on them.

I never understood way women obsess over this one day, I do romantic things all threw they year. I don't do anything special for V-day, I refuse to pay triple the price for flowers or dinner just because it is Feb the 14th and the merchants and restaurants have convinced everyone that this is love's special day and the way you show someone you love them is to over pay for everything.

• @MargaritaPeach What misery are you talking about? Judgmental crap!! In my family, we never celebrated V day because it is not part of our culture. I've been pretty respectful yet but you are starting to get on my nerves

• @MargaritaPeach You stated your opinion and I stated mine period. There is no "right way". By adding "misery" to your sentence shows how much narrow your mind is. #NotIn2017
      #GirlllBye๐Ÿ‘‹โœŒโœŒ

• It's a day of happiness and surprise for some women, and a day of stress and anxiety for many men. Valentines is bullshit, and shouldn't be the one day a yerar that you show love for your partner, just like mothers day shouldn't be the one day a year that you show your mother love.

• It can be a nice holiday for people who are seeking a partner, perhaps nudging them to try and take some initiative.

It can be a decent holiday for couples if they use it as an opportunity to spice up their sex life or do something romantic instead of simply emptying their wallets.

I think it's all right provided people don't get too influenced by the commercial aspect of the Holiday. It might break up some monotony in people's lives, pushing them to either seek or please a partner.

• Why not doing that everyday instead of waiting that particular day to do "something special"?

• Sorry, didn't mean to incite an argument! (Hugs to both)

• @ak666 This guy was saying nonsense so I just put my two cents

• It a fact that Valentine Day is a money making business. Women are very obsessed with it because they think it all about them. They expect their husband or boyfriend to spend all this money for them. Valentine Day has nothing to do with sex.

Valentine Day is a time to reflexed on others who has impact your life. Those would include your husband, wife, children, brothers and sisters, grandparents, cousins, aunt, uncle, nephew, nieces, boyfriend, girlfriend, males friends, female friends, etc, etc.

It a time of celebrated. A time to said thank you for being in my life.

No female, Valentine Day is not just for you. It for everyone.

• I'm not obsessed with it. Never was. As a kid it's stupidly pushing feelings onto you that you might not have or understand yet, as a teen it seems sappy, as an adult you quickly realize that it's yet another Hallmark Holiday intended to pressure you into splurging on flowers/chocolate/expensive dinners/wine/gifts.

• Neither have I. I think last year my lack of understanding actually upset my then girlfriend. I mean we went out a few days later because the cost was 10X less. What's the problem? It's a meanless date on a calender.

This year I'm just not taking part. Single anyway at the moment so nothing pushing me into changing that.

• Valentine's Day used to be no big deal at all, maybe some flowers or a card. Now, it's all commercialized up like every other holiday. Advertisers will tell you that your Valentine's Day isn't complete until you buy blah-blah-blah.

They're also trying to build up that Valentine's Day knockoff. Sweetest Day, or something like that.

• Personally I just see it as a reminder of the fact there's love out there even if it takes a while to find it and also as a reminder for people who already have it of how important that person is to you. However that doesn't stop corporations from exploiting it to make people feel like if they don't get their partner an expensive gift then they don't love them that's the shitty part about it.

• A reminder? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• i don't know much about my heritage other than my grandfather was a soldier during W. W. II that immigrated to the U. S. With my grandmother after the war. I never looked into anything further than that. It's a shame in a way that schools don't focus on that as a portion of history or culture class.

• Lol my parents told me a little about my ancestors. We were colonized by French people

• It is a day celebrating relationships between lovers and crushes. It is associated the emotion known as love and it is one of the more powerful emotions. if you have unrequited love or wanting love. this holiday is going to be painful because of jealousy. And people who are celebrating it gets a chance to have a special day other than their anniversary.

• Blame advertisements man

• Valentine's day celebrated the work of St. Valentine. He performed wedding ceremonies for people that were not allowed to get married and ministered for Christians. The Roman Empire had him executed. It later evolved to include romantic love in the fourteenth century because of courtly love and then England started the tradition of exchanging gifts or valentines in the eighteenth century.

• I knew this. This wasn't my question at all

• Im sorry, you mentioned not understanding it. I think it all has to do with tradition and how every parent gets their kids involved that over time, many people really like it. Stores also advertise an awful lot and that also makes people go crazy for it.

• Not everyone though lol I know A LOT of people who don't give a single shit

• This is like the 3rd Valentine's day question I've seen on here recently. Did they change the date or something?

• Good excuse to play your woman, take her out and have a little romantic fun filled date. It's very easy to do when all of your things are going all right, but it's a good skill to have to be able to relax and do it regardless, for the sake of the holiday.
    I agree with the update. Rubbing into someone's face that they are single and never understand this is not useful to anyone, and it's weak.

• I don't know. What's the point of st. patricks day or halloween? Its just fun

• Lol all people here various answers and you came with "I don't know"

• Why are y'all keep using the word "bitch" or "bitchy" constantly? None of you did answer my question

• @PurpleTeardrops2 Is this how you talk everyday? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Because peoples wanna celebrate something and spend their money and time.

• This is the day that bad boyfriends/girlfriends have a chance to repair the relationship temporarily. Basically that.

• Meh, I don't mind it all that much. I've never given it any special significance.

• People say we should celebrate love and people every day, but the truth is that we often forget. Birthdays and Valentine's day exist to remind us what we should appreciate. Some people think it's a money making business, but Valentine's day doesn't exist so people can make money; people make money because Valentine's day exists. You don't have to spend money to appreciate someone.

• I'm not fussed

• It only matters for women

• Obsessed? Personally, no. Missing it and ending up in the doghouse? Yes.

• Valentine's Day is unnecessary.

• I dint get it either but I guess it's a special day to love

• Because we're usually brought up to, just like many other idiotic traditions in this country

• Only time it ever mattered to me is this year actually. My girlfriend and I broke up, she immediately started dating someone new

I know it matters to her because of those two things so it matters to me in that it bothers me and I'm sipping on haterade hoping she realizes she's miserable and also maybe breaks up the day before.

• it's just a hallmark holiday, meant to remind single people, they're still single

• Because you've always been single that why you never understood it

• think people just want to experience it and they feel left out if they aren't with someone. its more women that are obsessed with it

• Only girls go nuts for Valentine's Day.
    It's just more free shit and expectations for girls.

• Not me. I never go nut on V day

• I love Valentine's day. I've loved it since I was a kid, regardless of whether or not I've been in a relationship. I think it's a fun chance to show my friends and family that I love and value them in cute ways- it's not all about romance for me. That's probably why I love it so much. Plus, I know the history of it, and I think it's very charming.

• @samhradh_leannan For me, it's all just about being commercial. I never took that holiday seriously

What Girls Said 23

• Thank you! Finally someone who understands! Why do we bother with Valentines, it's no more magical than a peanut butter sandwich? My partner is really into it but uugggg... romance and pink and flowers... ew. Why even? The only thing I can think of is that it's a viable reason for men and women to openly display their affection excessively in public. For you guys saying girls love this shit, don't generalize us! Some of us can think of no worse torture than going out to a valentine themed cafe with bae.

• I think people, especially due to social media, put pressure on their SO's to create this image that they are in this incredibly euphoric relationship. They want those special instagrammable moments where they can brag to their friends about how amazing their partner is.

Now, not every girl is like this. I think the problem too is that because the stores and media really play up Valentines day, it helps to feed the frenzy. I remember when I was in high school, near Valentines day everyone would be scurrying around to try and get a date before Valentines.

People put a lot of pressure on themselves. It definitely hurts to be single or in an unloving relationship during this time. Because you are reminded, often with posts from friends about how amazing their partners are, and then you are also reminded in contrast of how bad yours is. Or if you don't have one that can hurt too.

It hurts when we think that we lack something that other people get so easily. But the good thing about it is YOU get to choose how you feel and how Valentines day makes you feel. If you don't like it, don't celebrate it.

Last year I chose to make myself a nice bath and relax on Valentines day. Just take some time for myself to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet. It was probably the best Valentines day ever.

I was happy even though my relationship at the time sucked. I was happy because I took control of how I felt about that day and made my day great.

• I never gave a single fuck about that holiday. And seeing many of y'all getting pressured for nonsense just make me wanna laugh out loud

• Many people think Valentine's day is just a Hallmark holiday that was invented to encourage consumerism. But it's actually based on the real St. Valentine. Long ago, a Roman emperor banned the marriage of soldiers because he believed it would cause them to fight more bravely. St. Valentine married soldiers in secret, and he became known as a friend to lovers. He was caught and imprisoned. While he was in prison, his supporters slipped notes to him, which is how the tradition of Valentine cards got started. He was executed on February 14th.

• Not obsessed. It's not about the presents. MOST people seem to actually forget that St Valentine's Day is about LOVE in general for your partner, family and friends etc not just your partner. There is no other day dedicated to just the love that you have in your life. Need to remember that and be thankful for it.

• Ha! I don't need a special holiday for that because I never take anyone in my life for granted. Only heartless people do

• Can tell by how you talk you aren't grown. Stress less.

• Lol you don't even know WHY I don't have much friends. Stop assuming based on internet. I thought a "grown person" like you would at least knew that. Guess I was wrong ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• It is just a way for stores/companies to make money. It is a day where people buy a lot of stuff to please one another.

• I understand it thoroughly - it's for social media and marketing people (the more people buy, the more successful of a 'holiday' it is)... simply.
    BUT - it was initially meant to celebrate a saint - which would be a "christian day"... but not a holiday per se.

• Everyone's always so busy, romance sometimes gets shoved to the side... so people like having one day where... romance abounds. Lol. Valentine's day itself, all that pink and red crap, chocolates, roses- those don't really seem romantic to me though. *shrugs*

• I think it's because most people feel like they can't show their emotions every day. Valentine's Day is an excuse to be mushy and show affection in ways that we normally don't because we're trying to be cool.

It's a socially acceptable chance for a shy person to give their crush a card or note saying point-blank "I like you" and gauge their response.

Yes, girls like it because we want to feel fussed over once in awhile, and most guys won't do it. My ex would never buy me roses because he said it was cliche. Well, it's cliche because women LIKE them. I love flowers in general (I like gardening) but especially roses because they are so extravagantly sensual.

We would have arguments about this. He refused to pay higher prices just because it was Valentine's Day. I would say "You don't have to buy me a dozen roses. Just buy me one. I just want to know that you thought of me enough to stop and get one. Get it from the grocery store. I don't care."

Ultimately, his solution was to buy me rose bushes. So then I had to take care of them. Roses are difficult to grow because they get a lot of pests and diseases. To this day when he comes to pick-up or drop-off our son he'll ask me about the damn rose bushes!

Gentlemen, don't be that guy. I buy my OWN roses now, thank you very much.

• To me it's just another day. I believe that both partners should be treated and shown love, commitment, and how important they are every day of the week. Not just on a holiday that was created with the main goal of producing revenue and not love. But that's just my opinion. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ

• I'm obsessed with it due to the fact my last ex who was the worst I ever dated never in our 3 year relationship ever did he ever bother to try for me or show affection in that way. Hell he never even gave me a "Happy Valentine" remark, I got nothing and he did treat me like shit. So yeah I want my future boyfriend to show he cares for me and make me happy on Valentine, just a card or a home made dinner can do it for me!

• Can you make yourself happy this day?

• And I also happen to hate gifts so he'd better be prepared for that too

• Well that you did you just made this question so you can find someone to agree with you and for you to shit on other people's opinion? I notice at all the other answers you don't seem to care for their answers so no point of asking this question if you don't care for others opinion. Say what you what but if you don't care for V day then shouldn't care what I like or what other people like for V day. So you can keep your judgmental opinions to yourself since you think I'm not happy as a person and I need someone when you don't know anything about my personal life but thanks for trying to tell me who I am.

• I don't expect my boyfiend to be super extravagant, he already spent so much at Christmas time. Really I just see this as an excuse to get dressed up and have a extra fancy date together.

• I see it as time to express your love for people whether thats a boyfriend/ girlfriend, husband/ wife or someone you've always wanted to tell you love them. Its a time to show love, thats why i love it

• Hmm I see it as an a lame excuse. I tell people I appreciate them everytime holidays or not

• Oh, well some people might not express their feelings as well as you so valentines day might make some feel braver in a way, or more confident in sharing something like that, if that makes sense. But it also is just a fun holiday for me personally, i just like to make people feel special on valentines day.

• I'll just never understood this weird urge but oh well

• I like to dress cute and go to Disneyland for our date ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿป

• Not sure, I don't really care cause I'm single lol. My valentine plans are to get my bottom braces on ๐Ÿ˜‚

• I think it suddently reminds us what it means to be in a relationship and to not take it for granted...
    Also it s a great oportunity for most businesses to make money. As always

• I never take people around me for granted, holidays or not

• Well it s early to decide. Im in a 6 years relationship and we focused more on worrying about things lately so for me Valentines would mean trying to have some quality time together and working to make it happen.
      And I m not joking about money. I m currently wondering how to make more mony on valentines haha I m just saying to take care and not be taken advantage of bad people like me.

• What is early to decide?

• It's a fun and cute holiday to me to express your love to the ones you love and your friends :)

• It's not cute or funny to me

• So after the age of 20 you should make a concerted effort to stop enjoying life? Being happy doesn't make a person immature. Joy and celebrations are a lifelong blessing.

• @MargaritaPeach Don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that I feel like I'm replying to a 27 year old woman. Lmao even my mom is 4 years older than you and she acts her age. Doesn't mean she's boring, in fact she's a very enthusiastic woman BUT she's not trying to be "young" like you're doing

• Me I'm not obsessed at all.

• Wtf is obsessed?

• Cause free shit.

• I don't know why you don't believe in the power of love

• almost everyone smokes and drinks and eats trash. insanity is the norm.

• With fuck face Trump as president who gives a shit!

• Not neccessary.

Love can be shown every day not just one single day.