Do guys hurt after a break up?

My bf of 5 years broke up with me after his parents' second divorce 3 days ago. He said he "couldn't love or commit" anymore, but he said he loves me after he ended it? We haven't talked in 3 days and he defended me from Facebook. Is he hurting from our split? we were HS sweet hearts. Do guys in general ever hurt if they initiate the break up? How long does it take a guy to miss a girl?
  • Is he seriously done or just need to sort some things out?
  • Should I date other people in the mean time?(although I kinda don't want to?)

25

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, he's taking the hurt he feels from the divorce and equating the same hurt that might happen down the road from you. It's a stupid decision but he's defending himself now from ever feeling like this again and it's idiotic. Sounds like he needs time because he's handling it badly. He'll eventually want and need your support to get through it. It's not right that he's hurting you in the process. If you otherwise have a good relationship, then he should be turning to you for comfort during this time, not push you away and needlessly make you a future problem when you haven't even done anything. He's viewing long term relationships as being the same result as his parents and he is going through the first stage of mourning what he knew as a family. Give him some time. He's obviously not thinking straight.