If he is ending our relationship, why did he add that he will probably regret it?

I was dating a guy for a few months long distance. I felt like we really connected and I know we both had a great time whenever we were together. We emailed, text and talked on the phone when we weren't together. A few nights ago he told me that his ex girlfriend (gone for 2 1/2 years) unexpectedly moved back to his home town and she wants to try again. Not only does he feel like distance is hard, but also that it's just too much of coincidence not to try again with her. And I understand that...they have years of history together and she is close by now. But when he told me, he didn't just say that he's getting back with his ex, he told me that I have been really great and sweet and that he will probably regret it later, but the distance is too much.

Why add the "I'll probably regret it later"? What was the purpose of saying that? He could have just as easily said that he is trying again with his ex, and he doesn't want to do a long distance relationship.

2719

Most Helpful Guy

• He's basically saying that you're probably more compatible than his ex and doesn't really know. He has conflicting emotions right now and doesn't know what he wants.
    He is infinitely tantalized by the distance and the fact that she moved back is bringing many lost emotions and memories back and he never really had any problems with her; she just moved away, so it wasn't possible for them.
    Mind you, i don't like casual dating, when i start, i don't stop until there's a ditch in the middle of the road or i'm dead. I can't move from girl to girl. I get too emotionally attached to let myself, but you guys are probably pros at this. Either way, he doesn't know what's going to happen and he's diving head first into a pond. He's either gonna hit rock bottom or meet a freaking mermaid down there. We don't know, but all I can say is that unless you move in, he's gonna stick with who's close if you're wanting him back.
    I say this because someone's ex moving close by is a terrible reason to have to break up. Terrible.
    But hey, it's cool. I don't think he was all that great for breaking up this way anyway. :)

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for the insight! Do I want him back, yes, but more than that, I want him to be happy. When I met him, he assumed all women were going to be great at first and then just leave him later...he said loyalty was so important to him. He's military and he is afraid a woman is just going to cheat on him when he's deployed. We didn't know each other long, but I tried my best to show him that distance and deployment didn't matter to me, I would support him and be there no matter what. We didn't talk about his ex's but I know he dated this one for 4 years (throughout deployments) and then when he got 2 years on a home assignment they broke up. Now it seems she moved back to where he is stationed, wanted to get back together and convinced him to try. I'm afraid he's going to end up getting hurt.

• Thanks again for all your help! I'm going to wait a little bit, let things settle before I say anything to him. It certainly felt pretty final to me and like he may not care if he hears from me. But that could be my emotions. Ironically, the day before he broke it off, I sent him a little package of his favorite snacks and a silly card cause work had been hard lately. It hasn't gotten there yet because of weather delays.

• Aww! XD That's awesome. He's probably gonna regret it later. :)