How do I get over my ex-girlfriend?

Me and my ex broke up 2 1/2 months ago after about a year long relationship and I'm struggling to move on. Recently I returned home from university (where many of my friends still happen to be) and met her for a chat. I thought I was getting there but after she left I just broke down.

What do I do? Most of my friends are still away from home so I don't have too many people to socialize with right now. I'm staying busy with gym, running and working but I'm struggling here, any ideas?

Also, she was the first person I've ever fell in love with and have been intimate with. Some people say you never forget your first love, is that true?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that is true :-) I broke up with my first boyfriend after about a year, so the same time as you thereabouts. It was tough because you've given a lot of yourself to them, you've experienced new things with that person so of course you will always have fond special memories that only they can evoke. It took me a while to get over it, I'm still not over it lol. I hated thinking about him or places we went or movies we watched...everything was painful to think about. We tried being friends, mainly because I was still hopeful we could date again and because I didn't want to not have him in my life completely, but it didn't work. I, as I'm sure you feel the same, couldn't get over the fact that there was no more 'us' and to accept the lesser option sometimes is just too hard. My advice would be: give it time. Allow yourself to get over the hurt, nothing will make it a lot easier, you just have to go through the motions. Keep busy, surround yourself and indulge yourself..anything to make you feel better, at least for now. Also, avoid all contact with her. If you decide to try as friends later, that's fair enough, but right now it will make the 'getting over it' harder and take longer.
    I'm sorry you're struggling and hurting and I hope very soon it will get better. It's just a matter of time, we've all loved and lost a first relationship and we're all still here to tell the tale :-)

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• It's definitely true. I still think about and at times even miss my first love and that was 6 years ago. We had an emotional and intellectual connection unlike any other relationship I've had. I'll never forget that even though it did not end well. You will get over her, it really does just take time. I can't say that it won't stop hurting but it will hurt less and you'll move on when you meet someone else.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Your ex is a different person now. You're really in love with the memory of how she used to be. Once you realize this, moving on is easy. There are millions of girls in the world willing to date you but they're not going to, if you're hung up on your ex.

0|1
    0|0
    • Also, I'm not sure if you NEVER forget your first love but it's been 9 years for me and I can still remember. I don't think I'll forget any of my ex's, for that matter.

Recommended myTakes