Why do exes want to stay friends?

My ex broke up with me two weeks ago due to a conflict in career/life goals (after 7 1/2 months). More like with his career he doesn't know where he will be living at though he won't graduate for another eight months and he might not even find a job right away. He also isn't ready for a long term or long distance relationship until he figures out his career and life path and he doesn't like the idea of one right now. But he kept telling me that he still really wants me around and that I am his best friend and he wants it to stay that way for a very long time. We both said it will be awhile before our feelings for each other would go away, if they do. He said if he finds a career close to me, it's possible that we'd get back together because it's a good thing on my "resume" if he still wants me around. I try initiating the no contact rule, but he contacts me a good 5-6 times a day.

So why does he want to be friends? Does he actually want to keep my friendship (we weren't really friends before we dated, we instantly were attracted to each other)? Does he want to possibly get back together with me in the long run because there were literally no problems in the relationship itself (his words)? I'm confused.

I know that if most exes were truly ready to let go of the relationship, they would cut me off or something and not want to talk to me.
From what I know of, I'm the only "ex" or only girl out of all the girls he's casually dated or had a relationship with that he wants to keep in touch with. He cut off the rest of them for reasons that they hurt him or he thought they had issues

41

Most Helpful Girl

• I do it because my exe's were always my friends before we dated so I want our friendship back. I became friends with my one ex again and we are good friends. He's dating someone else and I have moved on. I left our relationship in the past. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be friends but if you can then I see no problem.

• It's just the thing is we were never really just friends before we started dating. We were immediately attracted to each other. He broke up with me for "non-internal" reasons and doesn't even want to be in another relationship until his life/career path is figured out and I still have school for awhile so I know that won't even be a factor. I told him I would be his friend but I'm cutting him off if he does end up talking to/dating anyone else before he figures his life out. He said he'd expect me to do that if that happened and he is aware of it and understands

• I understand. When me and my first bf broke up the next year he was already hitting on another girl and I couldn't be friends with him anymore. Needless to say, he won't even look at me anymore. In your case I would suggest just cutting off all ties since you weren't even friends beforehand.