Can a cheater ever redeem themselves?

I cheated on my husband two years ago. It was by far the worst mistake I have ever made in my entire life. After it happened I developed a strong self hatred for myself.

I know that the majority of people feel that people who cheat are despicable and the lowest scum there are. I am truly remorseful for what I did. I never thought I would ever cheat. My husband was the only person I had ever been with and I never thought I would make a choice that would change that. It is absolutely something that I never want to do again. It only made me feel empty and hateful towards myself. I am heartbroken over the pain I've caused my husband and the irreversible damage I have caused to our marriage.

Do you believe that a cheater can ever fully redeem themselves? Can they better themselves and go back to being the good, caring, devoted person they were before cheating? Or are they forever branded a despicable person? Someone who can never be trusted again and undeserving of love or happiness?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• You can definitely redeem yourself but if your husband knows you cheated on him, he most likely will never feel the same way about you again as he did before he found out.

He can love you still but he'll always have a bit of uncertainty around you.

I don't know what to say. You realize you made a mistake which is good but the problem is you made the mistake, which isn't really forgivable.

Most Helpful Girl

• "Once a cheater always a cheater" is a ridiculous saying that asserts that noone is capable of change.

Of course someone who has cheated can redeem themselves. You ultimately choose how you behave. People make mistakes everyday.