Does this sound like a valid break up reason?

My boyfriend of eight months broke up with me because he said his parents don't approve of me. His parents are strict and he said they would never approve of him dating a Christian girl. He said their opinion means a lot to him and even though he loves me so much, he knows we would never get married and wants to end it now before it gets harder. But he still loves me.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no. I mean, sure, I can see why he would make the decision. No one wants their family to forever reject the person they love.

At the same time, this is his life. He shouldn't be letting them control it. I mean, what's wrong with him dating a Christian? If anything, shouldn't they not be judgmental about that since they aren't Christians and have probably felt the sting of being judged for that?

If his parents actually love him, they'll learn to accept the person who makes him happy. Family means a lot, sure, but family also means being there for each other and wanting each other to be happy. Sounds like they're mostly just family by blood, not so much so in spirit though.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• That's so stupid! He shouldn't break up with you because you're Christian or whatever you are! Love is love and he's a man now so he should take his decisions by himself! And you love him and he loves you not his parents I'm so sorry because i said this but seriously i hate people who care about stuff like this. You should talk to him if you still love him and if he really care about you he will fight for you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE