Do guys end new relationships if they know they are not over their ex?

Assuming a man is aware of the fact that he is not over his ex, would this make him less likely to want to be in a relationship of any substance? Let's say he is dating women casually but then meets someone new and unexpectedly starts to fall hard for her. Might the fact that he isn't over his ex cause him to break things off with this new woman, because maybe the same love he still has for his ex is now blossoming in him for this new woman and he may feel guilty or confused? Or what if instead of wanting his ex back he feels resentment towards her? Would either of these scenarios make a guy freak out and run?

Armchair psychologists gather 'round.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there just isn't a blanket answer. some guys get into relatiosnhips despite not being over ex's some will wait. some will get into a relationship and call it off because they realize they aren't over their ex...some won't, they may not be aware or the may not care that they aren't over their ex.

I think if you have a specific scenario in mind we might be able to better provide a more specific answer. but in this general form I think I'd say some will some won't

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I will try to write something more specific on another thread thank you so much

• cool. the hope is that a person can recognize that they aren't ready to date if they aren't ready but often times they can't realize it. so many of our emotions are subconscious or just unrealized so while they may have the best intentions they may not know their true feelings. even if they realize they aren't ready for a relationship they may not realize that it is due to unresolved issues with an ex

• This follow up pretty much answers my entire question. Thank-you! If I decide to write another question related to this, I will try to keep the title similar so it may be easier for you to pick it out. I'd value your input.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, had it happen to me with some guy like 6 months ago. I felt really bad for him, honestly. And love takes time. Lust, infatuation, passion etc doesn't. Imo, the more passionate he seems (especially since it's new, c'mon) indicates just how hard he's trying to forget the last girl. Or...he could just be saying that because he feels bad in saying he wants to see/bed other girls and says he's trying to get get over some supposed ex so he won't be slapped. In which case, the best thing that could happen would be for things to fall apart because no respectable person would waste their energy or be seen around a (man) whore.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE