I would rather break-up over text. Why do some people think that is so terrible?

Seriously, what's the big deal? If it's over, it's over. Doing it in person seems like so much unnecessary drama for both parties.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's impersonal. If you were romantic with someone, it's kind of a thing that you should break up face to face, in person. It's like asking someone out via Facebook or asking someone to marry you on Facebook.

I suppose there's the other issue of: Someone could hack your phone. Say you live with your dad and he's the type to do that (I know many fathers who would send it as their daughter); There's also a chance that it's sent to the wrong person, or that person somehow doesn't get that message. I know that E-mails, for example, sometimes get lost. Then there's the slight chance of it being misunderstood: "Oh, I thought you were joking!"

Now, I don't get that upset (at least so far). There's little drama from my side.

I prefer for women to ask me out. It isn't gonna happen, so I just have to hitch up my big boy pants, and ask a woman out in person. First, it's respectful (at least how I do it). Sure, it'd be easier to wait for girls to ask, but... I'm an adult... It isn't fun to ask, but I do it because I'm telling her I'm gutsy enough to risk it and I respect her enough to give her my time enough to ask her. If I want to spend more time with her, I've got to take the risk and do it in person (or at least by phone). This also lets me hear and react to it without wondering.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends I think. Some may want closure, it can just be hard on some people to feel like they didn't have a chance to talk it out, no matter how bleak their chances of keeping the relationship together are. It's just better to do it in person I think, for the dumpee.

0|0
    0|0
    • I got dumped in person and closure didn't come for many moons even after he did it the "upright" way and cutting all contact with me so I could more easily move on. Nothing I cried about or said to his face changed a thing. It was one of my lowest points and I'm sure I looked pathetic. I could have kept some dignity responding over text!

• you have dignity just by being there taking it face to face. there's no dignity in doing it impersonally over a text

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• It's cowardly. If you can't end a relationship like an adult, don't get involved in an adult relationship.

1|4
    0|0
  • if you feel he will physically assault you for it then its fine otherwise. its just kind of a dick move. like you are throwing out a paper cup like the last few years or however long its been didn't mean anything to you at all.

1|2
    0|0
  • It shows how selfish you are. If you are mature there shouldn't be any drama breaking up in person. The reason you breakup in person is not for YOU IT IS USUALLY FOR THE OTHER PERSON!!! SELFLESSNESS NOT JUST ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS

0|1
    0|0
  • One of my friends exes broke up with him over text. Kinda ruined him for a while.

So much that he intentionally forgot her name.

Then again, he tends to take things like a bitch, but still. It would be better to do it face-to-face.

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay, I get it too. Women aren't straight forward anyway.

0|0
    0|1
  • It depends, I broke up with a girl I loved over text. While others may say it is rude, impolite and not 'classy', I would say situation-specific.

There will always be problems arising during break-ups, and if this is one of those big problems which is nearly impossible to solve, or if either party feels that they are unable to carry on with this relationship, then I would say it may be reasonable to break-up over text.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's disrespectful and cowardly.

0|2
    0|0
    • oh and it's insulting too.

What Girls Said 7

• Ending a long, serious relationship with someone who loved you over a text is extremely cruel and selfish. There's no way around you. Imagine someone who you truly love doing this to you. I'd feel seriously betrayed and like I'm not even worth their time. If you have something important to say, then you should have enough respect for the person to say it to their face. In person. Anything else is just unclassy and downright disrespectful.

0|1
    0|0
  • because its not a dignified, polite way of ending a relationship. its not unnecessary drama. texts show no emotion, no care. not even emojis are gonna capture ur face, or his hurt, or his indifference.
    u have to be there. its really not a mature way of handling things. dont let technology be the source of all ur communication. thats terrible=/

0|1
    0|0
  • I think a text is too much. Why not just introduce your new bf to him? I think that would render a very authentic feel to the break-up.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'd rather he do it over text too! I got broken up with the "proper" way many years ago after dating him for five years and it was awful. I think back and wish I would have gotten an email.

• Face to face is much more personal. Besides, text messages are usually a bit confusing/hard to believe, like, did she really just break up with me?
    Just tell it in person, so he knows you said it, and you can talk about it a bit to make it easier for him to deal with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because if a realtionship is at all important to you, they deserve to be told in person that you want to break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • because it is impersonal and cowardly

0|2
    0|0
  • I agree with you!

1|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes