Getting over my ex, need a bit of advice on something, please help?

I know it's long... but it's important to me, I'd really appreciate it if you took some of your time to help me... thank you.

[A bit of context]
Me and my ex have been through some rough times; my friends & family consider him as a "dick" for what I have discussed with them. They constantly tell me to forget about him, but I can't help but not see his "dick" qualities...
(There are actual disadvantages to him, which I do notice, but I try not to notice them, because that's love, right? :3)

[MIGHT BE UNECCESSARY INFORMATION, but it is relevant :P]
It's the fact that since I love a guy with a sense of humour (his is perfect imo), that was one of the main things that made me happy... I think it's almost as if the disadvantages didn't matter to me, because the way we were when we were happy was mostly perfect...

[Here's what I need advice on]
I'm afraid that if I move on from him and just wait for another guy to eventually come along, that this new guy (or any other guy afterwards) will have noticable disadvantages...
Not to do with appearance or anything - I care about a guy's personality :3
Just the fact that time with my ex was pretty much perfect, so... with a new guy... what if I didn't enjoy it as much because of the actual noticable disadvantages - causing me to miss and regret ever losing my ex.

So yeah... would anyone be able to help/state their opinion on this matter with that amount of writing? >o<
I'd really appreciate it...

20