Men, would no contact after a break up make you think about your ex more?

What would you think if you had a break up and then your ex didn't contact you?
Lets say you were unsure of the relationship and it was just given up on, but you still love them.
If you were insecure would you move on thinking they wern't interested anymore.

My boyfriend needed time to think, wasn't 100%, didn't know if we worked anymore or what the right thing to do was.
I told him I couldn't keep hanging around, he said well that's that then. So I stoped contacting him.
He kept finding a reason to message me then came to drop my stuff off.
He couldn't admit that he had told lies to his friends that were really hurtfull, he then found excuses for them. He said sorry for treating me badly. Again he said he didn't know if we worked.
I told him I didn't know if I could be with someone who doesn't care for others and lies even to their freinds. I told him he has to stop or he will end up alone and told him he was a nasty peice of work.

We had a pretty rough two months and neither of us went the right way about much.
He couldn't look at me and when he did he looked so sad and upset. He held his head in his hand.

I found out he is insecure about being hurt and abandoned. He had a rough childhood and his mother walked out on the family. To stop being hurt again he pushes others away and becomes nasty.

I really would like to try again. There is so much to salvage and we didn't try very hard to fix our problems. Just got angry with each other.

Should I continue to not talk to him, or how long should I leave it?
As he is an insecure person I don't know which way is best.
I have some of his things and he wanted a CD of our holiday photos.
He has taken me off his friends list on facebook.
Thank you for all your advice and opinions so far. I will leave it two wekks, like people are saying he is insecure and it's cruel to act like I don't care. For the record he hasn't contacted me either.

520

Most Helpful Guy

• Utterly and completely. However , In you case?

The reality of it is, he may have existing trust issues, abandonment issues, self-esteem issues. And sure you want to reconcile with him, tackle the downs and share the ups with him, and be a person he can trust and relay. But, unfortunately, his seemingly ambivalence about reconciling with you may or may not be a consequence of his personal issues.

And considering the fact that he genuinely cares about you, it's of little surprise that he seemed distraught and miserable when he looked at you. He is attached emotionally, and he misses you. Yet, again, that may or may not be an indication of how he feels about a reconciliation.

Despite popular belief, being distant or going no contact with you former after a breakup can actually perpetuate the process and increase the difficulty to overcome it, especially if the friendship between the exes were as significant as the romantic relationship.

With that being said, communicating with him may not be a bad idea, even if on a limited basis. Given his history, the impact of the breakup may carry significantly more weight with him. Perhaps a series of one-on-one, honest, in-depth dialogues about the relationship, each other's expectations and wants and needs are in order.

Contact the guy.

• Such wise words. You have really struck a chord actually. I so want him to be happy and have healthy relationships. He even pushes his family who took him after he left home and went on self destructive path. His dad was awful to him. He got out as soon as he could. I am ditraught because he needs to face up to the fact that he does this to the people who care about him and love him the most. The people with the most loyalty and care for him. He keeps in contact with so many people. Who knows if he lies to all of them or not. But in the whole time I have known him, I have never had the sense that he really values any one in specific as a real friend. He seems to flit from person to person with little substance or real relationship building. Even if things don't work out for us. I desperatly him to realise fabricating stories trying to seem big or gain respect and admiration won't help him. I worry for his future and prospects of him having real relationships with anyone.

• The lies I know he said to people don't even do him favours, they make him come accross as having a lack of respect for others and cruel. The sad thing is, as he forgets what he has said or real events, he says one thing then the story changes. So the so called friend even knows he is lying. I think it gives him a sense of being in control of the situation so he is always in control. He didn't seem to grasp that it wasn't that I was hurt with the things he said alone, it was the fact he was lying to people. And then trying to make up excuses for why he did it. First it was becuase he was angry, then he wasn't lying, then it was he had forgotten or remembered things wrong. Even with proof he couldn't just say yes I lied. I think he may just make trails of stories to fit any given situation then forget what he has said. He also remembers events wrong to reinforce the stories he is telling. I have no idea if he knows it or not. Terrible mental state to have.

• I understand. I have relative who lost his mother at a very young age. He is functions in relationships similar to that of your ex, which makes behavioral pattern recognition overt to me in such cases. Similar to your ex, he is nomadic, insecure, dysfunctional in his personal relations, and betrays the people who care about him. Basically your entire characterization of your ex fits my relative. Nonetheless, I think the best thing to do here is to set boundaries with him and stand by them, and suggest that he seek therapy. It's possible the pain he has endured has desensitized him and perhaps caused him to be un-empathetic towards others.

In regards to his embellishments of himself. He simply needs validation. He needs to feel appreciated and cared for, which nurturing from his mother would have provided. Be patient with him and, again, suggest that he seek therapy. Undoing the emotional damage will be gradual, very trying, and perhaps stagnant at times.

Most Helpful Girl

• Give him some time to take This time to have his space, do some serious soul searching. It's what he Needs right now. He's like this lost lamb with nowhere to go, no one to turn to, and since things became Very sour, he has Now even taken you off of Facebook.
    If you don't hear anything within the next few weeks, text him Then a "Hi, how are you?" Tell him you have these belongings of his and you would like to know what he would like to do with these? He is also most likely feeling 'shot down' as well from what you Knew you had to say and do.
    I think it's too soon to really Know what the outcome of this 'breakup' will be, being he is feeling this way, and even if you were to reunite tomorrow, Both of you would have a lot of nursing and nurturing to do to make it work.
    And in the end, if you do just become friends, then This is what old Mother Nature would have intended for you to sow with the seeds to then reap.
    Good luck.xx