If it's not sex, why the hell would a guy want to be friends with a girl he was in love with?

He broke up with me, saying we had no future. But he really wants to be friends. Really bad. But it's not sex because I tried to hook up with him and he turned me down and said it would be bad for our friendship.

43

Most Helpful Guy

• You assume that he's in love with you on a romantic level but you two broke up and now he's trying to bring it to a platonic friendship level. He wants to be friends, he sees you as an ideal female but he's not in love with you like that. I assume he wants to be around a female that he feels comfortable and loves on a friendship and somewhat a romantic level but not to the point where he's interested in you like that. It's like you having a girl best friend, but that person is a guy instead but don't treat him like a gay bff. You two don't see eye to eye, you two broke up so you want things to be over, he sees it as you still being there for him even though you two aren't like that anymore. If you don't like what has gone down between you two then just break all contact, that's the best way.

• I think I might break contact, I don't want to be there when he get's a new girlfriend! Thank you this was very helpful :-)

• Yeah, you have to do what's best for you. Don't worry about what other people might think of you, worry about what YOU think of yourself and what YOU need to do for yourself. You're very welcome :-)

• I went out with him today to tell him that I couldn't be friends with him anymore and that this would be the last time I saw him until I got over him. He wouldn't stop cuddling me. And he kissed me on the forehead. I don't understand..