Attention all divorced men and women of GAG!! Salicianym needs you!?

So, I want to understand why you decided to go through a divorce, instead of trying to make it work?

What changed? Was it you? Was it them? I left the anonymous feature for people who don't want to be recognised :)

65

Most Helpful Guy

• My late mom divorced my dad cause
    she had to go through hell with him
    drinking, coming home sick now he
    is married to the woman who he had
    affair with and my dumb ass sister
    allows my niece to call the woman
    grandma omg my mom turned in
    her grave many of time i miss my
    mom can't wait to God reunites us
    i hope there is Heaven she's in
    i had several dreams about her
    my mom never expressed her love
    neither did my dad

Most Helpful Girl

• I qam not divorced, but did a paper once on it drawing from several friends that have. Sometimes a partner just moves on (such as the friend that found out she was getting a divorce when her husband showed up with his fiancee). Sometimes people just get married to what is the best option at the time and then find something better and "trade up". Sometimes one partner is invested in the relationship and the other isn't and refuses to work it out. Sometimes two people get married for the wrong reasons and never should have in the first place.
    There are also the common problems of no sex (I know several couples that to the dismay of one party have sex 3 times a year), money, and infidelity.Lastly people change as they grow older, if the people invovled do not proactively change and grow with the person, suddenly you are two very different people with nothing to hold you together.

• Oh and then there are also the addiction/substance abuse/abuse cases, but we all understand those.

• I agree. Also with the situations I described in the first answer. If only one person is involved there is no marriage. It's a two person partnership. While at times it can be more give than take, there needs to be some undercurrent of love there. If it's not then there is no stable ground to rebuild on.

• That's true if love isn't there it will never work. If you decide to marry someone you need to love the person for who they are, not what they give you. And I agree, it cannot be one sided, both parties need to have similar attitudes to marriage and work hard if it turns sour.